Mystery land

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: Mystery land

Post by Feinder »

French Frigate Shoals... between Hawaii and Midway. In WITP could be used for 150 AC before overcrowding...


Actually, I think it's an AF-0(1), which means you can build it to an AF-4, 200 aircraft, without over-crowding...

[;)]
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
Charbroiled
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:50 pm
Location: Oregon

RE: Mystery land

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: Feinder
French Frigate Shoals... between Hawaii and Midway. In WITP could be used for 150 AC before overcrowding...


Actually, I think it's an AF-0(1), which means you can build it to an AF-4, 200 aircraft, without over-crowding...

[;)]
-F-

I think that is completely realistic.....if you stack them just right, there would be no problem getting 200 planes on that airstrip. Of course, the planes would probably still have to be in crates and then you would also have to figure out where to put the 4 Divisions of Infantry.[:D]
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Mystery land

Post by Speedysteve »

Or how on earth those planes could ever move when 'stacked'[;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
carnifex
Posts: 1294
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:47 pm
Location: Latitude 40° 48' 43N Longtitude 74° 7' 29W

RE: Mystery land

Post by carnifex »

FFS = "for f uck's sake" on teh interweb

lol @ Feinder who I thought was exasparated instead of taking an actual guess
User avatar
msieving1
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:24 am
Location: Missouri

RE: Mystery land

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I recall reading an article that it actually was bigger than that little spit that you see in the photo, during WW2.  Naturally, it was bit of land and surrouding shallows.  During the war, they built it up quite a bit, and created the AF.  It was also -maintained-.  However, the "normal" state of erosion has melted away pretty much everything but the runway.  I doubt the fully operational island was very much to begin with, but the picture of just the runway is a little misleading.

If you pull up pics of Baker (max AF-4) and Canton (max AF-5) islands in WitP (everybody's PBEM favorites), they're (also) quite tiny.
-F-

For comparison, Canton Island is about 9 square km. Baker Island is about 1.6 square km. Tern Island (the airstrip in the picture) is about 0.1 square km. Total land area of French Frigate Shoals is about 0.25 square km, spread out over about a dozen islets, of which Tern is the largest.

The engineers had to expand Tern Island to put a 3,300 ft runway there. It was used as an emergency landing strip for flights between Oahu and Midway. I doubt that it was ever an operational base.
-- Mark Sieving
User avatar
MineSweeper
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:03 pm
Location: Nags Head, NC

RE: Mystery land

Post by MineSweeper »

ORIGINAL: Feinder
French Frigate Shoals... between Hawaii and Midway. In WITP could be used for 150 AC before overcrowding...


Actually, I think it's an AF-0(1), which means you can build it to an AF-4, 200 aircraft, without over-crowding...

[;)]
-F-
I wonder how long it would take....I have been building an airfield at Tori Shima for over 3 years and it is still not level 3.....plenty of supplies and construction crews....[:@]
Image


User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: Mystery land

Post by Feinder »

I wonder how long it would take....I have been building an airfield at Tori Shima for over 3 years and it is still not level 3.....plenty of supplies and construction crews....

It doesn't take THAT long if you're US in 1943. I built up FFS to AF-4(1) in about a month using 20 or so SeaBee units and an HQ (I also expanded the port 4(1)). He owns Midway (hopefully, not for much longer), and FFS and Lazy-Anne will aid in that endeavor. Lazy-Anne is a 0(0) at start, and even with 20+ ENGs it's taking a while (not even a 1 yet), in fact, I doubt I'll bother completing the Lazy-Anne AF anyway.

You get a LOT of SeaBees, it becomes a matter of just having them build/expand SOMETHING, ANYTHING, just to keep them busy.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

RE: Mystery land

Post by spence »

I wonder what happens to that airfield after a large storm comes through

The Coast Guard LORAN A Station washed away once subsequent to WWII...not sure exactly when
Within the Coast Guard, French Frigate Shoals was the ultimate isolated duty, often referred to when threats were made to ship someone to the middle of nowhere
qgaliana
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm

RE: Mystery land

Post by qgaliana »

Requiring some engineers present to maintain bases wouldn't be an outlandish feature in the game. Right now any unoccuppied base will actually slowly repair damage, whether it's downtown Brisbane or a dirt strip surrounded by jungle in the middle of the Owen Stanley Mtns. In real life they slowly accumulate damage.
User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: Mystery land

Post by wdolson »

My father passed through Johnston coming and going from the war zone.  I believe he said it was L shaped at the time with the runway on one arm of the L and aircraft parked on the other.  The mess hall was right next to the runway and you had to eat holding down your plate with one hand.  Otherwise the vibrations from landing and taking off planes would dump your dinner on the floor.

Wake Island got hit with a massive typhoon last year.  http://www.keepingapace.com/blogarchives/air_force/wake_island_typhoon_damage_assessment.php
WIS Development Team
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”