In the patch

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Rob Roberson
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:46 am

In the patch

Post by Rob Roberson »

for the love of all that is holy, :) please add new music. What was excellant music the first few times I heard it is starting to drive me batty. Of course I dont want to shut it off while waiting for turns to process, but...a nice set of Victory at Sea tunes in the patch would be great!

By the way thats my only complaint so far...great game.
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Music

Post by mogami »

Greetings, Myself I listen to Brahms through my headphones while playing.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

Richard Rogers

Post by Ron Saueracker »

I believe Matrix tried to have Victory at Sea as the background theme, but there was a legal conflict.:(
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Basement Command
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Boise, ID

Music?

Post by Basement Command »

I never listen to any game music. I turn it off and listen to my Stereo.... Remember those?
The only skills I have the patience to learn are those that have no practical application in real life.
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

Well, you can all mod the music ;)
Rob Roberson
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:46 am

Post by Rob Roberson »

Oh really I hadnt thought of that...muahahaha
User avatar
Didz
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:00 am
Location: UK

Post by Didz »

Well at least you can turn it off.

Napoleon 1813 had the 1812 overture playing continuously in the background and there was no way to stop it. It literally drove me batty.

In the end I took to playing with the speakers turned off.
Didz
Fortis balore et armis
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio

Post by Ron Saueracker »

I sometimes go to the SH2 Wolfpack/Eagle League site and fire up Wolfpack Radio. It's got tons of period music and radio reports, speeches, marches, etc. Disable the pop up adds if ya can, they are annoying and crashed a game I was playing (about 2 hours worth of stalking the Ark Royal). Victory at Sea is on it, (Nemesis the DJ played my request for VatS and some Vera Lynne) and pretty much all the marches and hymns of the US military. Lots of British Commonwealth stuff, too...even Waltzing Matilda. Of course there is lots of German Military stuff on it given the theme. (ie. Panzer Leid, 10,000 mann, Lili Marlene, Das Boot theme etc.)
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
rhohltjr
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: When I play pacific wargames, I expect smarter AI.

Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio

Post by rhohltjr »

It's got tons of period music and radio reports, speeches, marches, etc. [/B]


Wow. Not having been to that site, does it have Japanese period themes and music? Does that exist? Whoa, after looking at the subject line again, "Silent Hunter2.." my guess is probably not Japanese themes, but thanks for the headsup.
:)
My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.
juliet7bravo
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 8:00 am

Post by juliet7bravo »

Having background "music" triggered by game date might be an idea for WiTP, an enterprising sound modder could create a sound pack mod to insert period radio news reports. Matrix probably couldn't due to copywrites...but if the game was structured <cough> <cough> so that it could be done they couldn't be held to blame...
Hartmann
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Hartmann »

I had strange deja vus with the music. Some intermediate parts (e.g. while loading) remember me of the background music of Wing Commander (when you´re in space and nothing much happens).
Other parts are like from the old Dynamix game "Aces of the Pacific".

Not that there´s anything wrong about it. :)

Hartmann
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

Post by Charles2222 »

When using Realplayer, you can save the tunes you're playing to a directory. I think the default is called Music. In any case after you have a collection of tunes, you can then click on the toggle below the normal video screen and play the entire directory. If you tool around enough you can even create new directories and assign specific directories for specific music. For example I have a German one, a USSR one, and a general military tune directory. Once you start playing an entire directory you can also click on the song playing toggle and restart the directory playing form the 8th song onwards for example, and then it'll wrap around continually. It seems to get disrupted and discontinue playing the directory every now and again, but I've had it play the same directory 5 or 6 times without a hitch. It's worth the effort to figure out how to do this.
dgaad
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Hockeytown

Post by dgaad »

Couple of comments and suggestions for the Matrix people :

1. The music is very good. I notice you don't have anyone complaining about it, which means that it blends nicely into play in an unobtrusive way, and yet adds an element of atmosphere and tension that is just right. Good job on that.

2. I hear people complaining that the manual is difficult to print and that a printed copy should have been part of the game package, but I DONT here people complaining that the manual sucks. I suppose if it did suck, no one would want to print it ;) Its doesn't. Its very thorough and organized, and easy to understand with plenty of examples scattered throughout. Good job on that.

3. The "windowing" system. The layers of windows one goes through to get deeper into your forces is generally good. One complaint I have about it is the delay. I don't want some kind of artificial one second delay when I'm going from base to base and looking through the various views of the troops and units at each location. This could be quicker in my opinion.
Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)
User avatar
11Bravo
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio

Post by 11Bravo »

Originally posted by Ron Saueracker
I sometimes go to the SH2 Wolfpack/Eagle League site and fire up Wolfpack Radio. It's got tons of period music and radio reports, speeches, marches, etc. Disable the pop up adds if ya can, they are annoying and crashed a game I was playing (about 2 hours worth of stalking the Ark Royal). Victory at Sea is on it, (Nemesis the DJ played my request for VatS and some Vera Lynne) and pretty much all the marches and hymns of the US military. Lots of British Commonwealth stuff, too...even Waltzing Matilda. Of course there is lots of German Military stuff on it given the theme. (ie. Panzer Leid, 10,000 mann, Lili Marlene, Das Boot theme etc.)
Thank you for introducing me to Wolfpack Radio, Ron. If anybody else is interested, here is the link.

If anybody knows of any other stations or web sites like this with WW2 era music and recordings, please reply here or drop me a message. Thanks.
Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.
User avatar
Mike Wood
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Oakland, California
Contact:

Re: Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio

Post by Mike Wood »

Hello...

I am programming the patch. Please be advised that although I will not be able to respond to all of these posts, I am noting them all. I will take them to the design team and we will include as many of them as possible.

Thanks for Your input...

Michael Wood
Hartmann
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2000 10:00 am

Re: Re: Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio

Post by Hartmann »

Originally posted by Mike Wood
Hello...

I am programming the patch. Please be advised that although I will not be able to respond to all of these posts, I am noting them all. I will take them to the design team and we will include as many of them as possible.

Thanks for Your input...

Michael Wood
Great news! :) Actually, the only thing really bugging me is the sudden noise/sound distortions popping up out of the blue after a while of gaming. I have to set the hardware acceleration to completely "off" to avoid this, which in turn lets the sound lag behind awfully.

Hartmann
Mockingbird2
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by Mockingbird2 »

Wonderful Site... Thanks a bunch.:D
User avatar
Slaughtermeyer
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 11:40 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio

Post by Slaughtermeyer »

Originally posted by 11Bravo


If anybody knows of any other stations or web sites like this with WW2 era music and recordings, please reply here or drop me a message. Thanks.
You can go to www.audiogalaxy.com (a Napster copycat) and get tons of WW2-era popular songs, but so far I was unable to find any Japanese WW2-era songs except for one march and some Tokyo Rose items. My favorite there is Charlie and His Orchestra, with plenty of anti-Allied parodies of popular songs (most of them recorded in 1942)approved of by the Minister of Propaganda himself.
We must not allow ourselves to be drawn into a trial of the causes of the war,for our position is that no grievances or policies will justify resort to aggressive war.It is utterly renounced and condemned as an instrument of policy. R.Jackson,1945
cpt_Venomous
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 6:18 am
Location: PYCb MOCKBA

Re: Re: Re: Silent Hunter2 Wolfpack League Radio

Post by cpt_Venomous »

Originally posted by Slaughtermeyer


You can go to www.audiogalaxy.com (a Napster copycat) and get tons of WW2-era popular songs, but so far I was unable to find any Japanese WW2-era songs except for one march and some Tokyo Rose items. My favorite there is Charlie and His Orchestra, with plenty of anti-Allied parodies of popular songs (most of them recorded in 1942)approved of by the Minister of Propaganda himself.

goody
now we have something beside
Turning Japanese and Mr. Roboto
"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

rosary
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2001 8:00 am
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Post by rosary »

I recommend you read the following article before checking out audio galaxy.

http://www.poenews.com/inhouse/vx2.htm
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”