ORIGINAL: HansBolter
Whether or not this nagging condition should cause a serious drop in morale is really the question and I tend to agree that the current effect is a bit over the top.
In my sole stock PBEM which is now to August 1943, the Port Moresby defense force has
12 Morale after being there for the duration of the war.
This morale level is not even reached by troops that have been routed severly. So this means that my troops at a rear base, who have never tasted death or combat, who have unlimited supplies at a 'large' base have lower morale than troops who have been destroyed and routed in combat?
As I have mentioned before, the Marines used a number of bases in the Solomons as R&R islands (E.B. Sledge describes it quite well actually, but cant remember the name off the top of my head) which the game considers to be 'malaria'. In reality, they went there to recive replacements, rest, and bring morale back up. In the game, they would loose troops, be more tired, and have lower morale after being there no matter how big the base was, or how many support troops were there or how much supply was there.
I dont think that this was the intent of the designers.
Thats why I view this as a bug fix, not a change. All I have been asking is for someone to look at it and see that it is not behaving as it should be. I think that the original intention was that once a base reaches a certain combined port and airfield size, that Malaria affects stop (over 10 is a generally accepted rule). This would keep the small islands from ever reaching this level, but allow Port Moresby, Lae, Rabual and Guadacanal to reach it.