AE Released at what date?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pad152
Posts: 2835
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2000 8:00 am

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by pad152 »

Let them take their time, I don't want to restart the same campaign with a patch of the week!
Ambassador
Posts: 1756
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Ambassador »

But you could be outside in the warmer weather, soaking up the near 18 hours of daylight, with a laptop and AE.[:'(]
Flying Tiger
Posts: 496
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:45 pm
Location: ummmm... i HATE that question!

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Flying Tiger »

Let them take their time, I don't want to restart the same campaign with a patch of the week!
 
SO TRUE!! I must have played that first turn of WitP at least a dozen times! And at about 3 hours per turn.... AAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!
User avatar
tigercub
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:25 pm
Location: brisbane oz

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by tigercub »

yes i also do not want to restart a campain i have started because of an update my first turn took 8 hours over 3 days back in 2002 ,and never finnished the campain because of the flaws.
Image
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
User avatar
Hornblower
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:02 am
Location: New York'er relocated to Chicago

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Hornblower »

ORIGINAL: pad152

Let them take their time, I don't want to restart the same campaign with a patch of the week!

Agreed. I would much rather wait and allow the designers to get this right, as much as they are able, then have them rush to market a product that will require re-install and bug after bug..
romanovich
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:51 am
Location: SoCal

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by romanovich »

Maybe Matrix could pre-release the manual? That way, we would have sufficient time to work through the 1,600 pages of small-printed explanations of the games's revised algorithms. That way we'd be ready for the Nov. 1, '09 release date. 
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: romanovich

Maybe Matrix could pre-release the manual? That way, we would have sufficient time to work through the 1,600 pages of small-printed explanations of the games's revised algorithms. That way we'd be ready for the Nov. 1, '09 release date. 
nah, the game will be ready by christmas, I'll bet you a dollar.[8D]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: romanovich

Maybe Matrix could pre-release the manual? That way, we would have sufficient time to work through the 1,600 pages of small-printed explanations of the games's revised algorithms. That way we'd be ready for the Nov. 1, '09 release date. 

This sounds intriguing. But the one thing I've never figured out (after 20+ years of project experience) is how to write an accurate 1,600 page manual, 18 months prior to releasing the system!!
[:D]
WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
Jo van der Pluym
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Jo van der Pluym »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

ORIGINAL: romanovich

Maybe Matrix could pre-release the manual? That way, we would have sufficient time to work through the 1,600 pages of small-printed explanations of the games's revised algorithms. That way we'd be ready for the Nov. 1, '09 release date. 

This sounds intriguing. But the one thing I've never figured out (after 20+ years of project experience) is how to write an accurate 1,600 page manual, 18 months prior to releasing the system!!
[:D]

Thanks for the Release date. It's nice to know that it's by Christmass 2009[:D]
Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

It's better to be a Fool on this Crazy World
romanovich
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:51 am
Location: SoCal

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by romanovich »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

ORIGINAL: romanovich

Maybe Matrix could pre-release the manual? That way, we would have sufficient time to work through the 1,600 pages of small-printed explanations of the games's revised algorithms. That way we'd be ready for the Nov. 1, '09 release date. 

This sounds intriguing. But the one thing I've never figured out (after 20+ years of project experience) is how to write an accurate 1,600 page manual, 18 months prior to releasing the system!!
[:D]


Good Lord. So you haven't even started with the manual yet?

Gem35, you'll be out your dollar...

User avatar
TheElf
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 1:46 am
Location: Pax River, MD

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by TheElf »

Besides being the Air Team Lead I am a player of WitP. As a player I can say I would rather wait the extra time, whatever that may be, to have a tight Database. The things that drive restarts are changes to the database or the Scenario file, typically not code changes. Something that has data in a device or new units. However this type of restart isn’t required, often it is desired by the player. At least in my case. I’m a big fan of accuracy.

Having been on the inside now for about 2 years, I will say this, and it’s very important:
This project isn’t your typical video game. This is a MAJOR undertaking and attempts to take a concept that was considered grandiose, impossible, crazy, groggish, niche, and obtuse, and improve it. Or if you like, actually make it more grandiose, impossible, crazy, groggish, niche, and obtuse.

This also isn’t your typical video game in the sense that we are not all professional software developers. We are mostly players, making a product for players. And we are all part-timers. As such I foresee a period after release where everyone needs to feel this thing out, possibly wait for things to settle out and for some time to pass where many more eyes are looking at it before anyone commits to a real longterm PBEM. Your expectation SHOULD be “Lets take this baby for a test drive and see how things work”

I for one can’t wait for everyone to see this thing. It really is impressive, but there are going to be some challenges. Fortunately I think those challenges are worth the new experience.

The juice is worth the squeeze…
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

Image
Ambassador
Posts: 1756
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Ambassador »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

ORIGINAL: romanovich

Maybe Matrix could pre-release the manual? That way, we would have sufficient time to work through the 1,600 pages of small-printed explanations of the games's revised algorithms. That way we'd be ready for the Nov. 1, '09 release date. 

This sounds intriguing. But the one thing I've never figured out (after 20+ years of project experience) is how to write an accurate 1,600 page manual, 18 months prior to releasing the system!!
[:D]
My experience of working with politicians proves the contrary... you usually have all the documentations long before a change is effective, even long before they have settled their minds. And I don't believe programming to be more random than the politician's mind.[:D][;)]
undercovergeek
Posts: 1535
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm
Location: UK

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by undercovergeek »

ORIGINAL: TheElf


Besides being the Air Team Lead I am a player of WitP. As a player I can say I would rather wait the extra time, whatever that may be, to have a tight Database. The things that drive restarts are changes to the database or the Scenario file, typically not code changes. Something that has data in a device or new units. However this type of restart isn’t required, often it is desired by the player. At least in my case. I’m a big fan of accuracy.

Having been on the inside now for about 2 years, I will say this, and it’s very important:
This project isn’t your typical video game. This is a MAJOR undertaking and attempts to take a concept that was considered grandiose, impossible, crazy, groggish, niche, and obtuse, and improve it. Or if you like, actually make it more grandiose, impossible, crazy, groggish, niche, and obtuse.

This also isn’t your typical video game in the sense that we are not all professional software developers. We are mostly players, making a product for players. And we are all part-timers. As such I foresee a period after release where everyone needs to feel this thing out, possibly wait for things to settle out and for some time to pass where many more eyes are looking at it before anyone commits to a real longterm PBEM. Your expectation SHOULD be “Lets take this baby for a test drive and see how things work”

I for one can’t wait for everyone to see this thing. It really is impressive, but there are going to be some challenges. Fortunately I think those challenges are worth the new experience.

The juice is worth the squeeze…

Very informative and interesting, anticipation levels even more now!!!!

but................

its not summer 08 then?
User avatar
cantona2
Posts: 3749
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Gibraltar

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by cantona2 »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Besides being the Air Team Lead I am a player of WitP. As a player I can say I would rather wait the extra time, whatever that may be, to have a tight Database. The things that drive restarts are changes to the database or the Scenario file, typically not code changes. Something that has data in a device or new units. However this type of restart isn’t required, often it is desired by the player. At least in my case. I’m a big fan of accuracy.

Having been on the inside now for about 2 years, I will say this, and it’s very important:
This project isn’t your typical video game. This is a MAJOR undertaking and attempts to take a concept that was considered grandiose, impossible, crazy, groggish, niche, and obtuse, and improve it. Or if you like, actually make it more grandiose, impossible, crazy, groggish, niche, and obtuse.

This also isn’t your typical video game in the sense that we are not all professional software developers. We are mostly players, making a product for players. And we are all part-timers. As such I foresee a period after release where everyone needs to feel this thing out, possibly wait for things to settle out and for some time to pass where many more eyes are looking at it before anyone commits to a real longterm PBEM. Your expectation SHOULD be “Lets take this baby for a test drive and see how things work”

I for one can’t wait for everyone to see this thing. It really is impressive, but there are going to be some challenges. Fortunately I think those challenges are worth the new experience.

The juice is worth the squeeze…

Excellently and succintly put Elf. Now i want AE even more [:D]
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Enginemount
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:45 am
Location: Japan

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Enginemount »

"The juice is worth the squeeze..."

I love it! I'd never heard that one before.
You know, I get more fun out of these forums than I do from the game.

I agree with cantona2 - excellently put Elf.

User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Gem35 »

a$$-kissing will not get AE finished any more faster...[;)]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
User avatar
m10bob
Posts: 8583
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:09 pm
Location: Dismal Seepage Indiana

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by m10bob »

Won't you help a friend in need ?

Image
Attachments
6272a.jpg
6272a.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Image

Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by Andy Mac »

Its sad but true when its ready and the AI works we will release not before - I cannnot give you all a date because I dont know yet
User avatar
cantona2
Posts: 3749
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Gibraltar

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by cantona2 »

ORIGINAL: Gem35

a$$-kissing will not get AE finished any more faster...[;)]

Damn it!!!!!!!!!!!! [:D]
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

User avatar
m10bob
Posts: 8583
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:09 pm
Location: Dismal Seepage Indiana

RE: AE Released at what date?

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Gem35

a$$-kissing will not get AE finished any more faster...[;)]


Well that tears it !!

Image
Attachments
feldman.jpg
feldman.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Image

Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”