Mine Warfare

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

Mine Warfare

Post by Toro »

Okay, I must be missing something. I send out my minelayers (with retirement allowed setting, so they can lay mines) and give them a destination, but they don't lay mines.

I discovered this because then I sent out two DMW ships (together) to a location, and they DID lay mines (the little square appeared in the hex).

1. Why won't my minelayers do this?

2. Why can't I lay mines in a base (or potential base) hex?

:confused:
User avatar
jhdeerslayer
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 3:24 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by jhdeerslayer »

16 miles SE of Hell like Ann Arbor maybe? Practically neighbors. May be a stupid question but are there mines loaded on board? Saw some earlier poast on this.
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

Mines onboard

Post by Toro »

Deerslayer, how the heck are ya. Yep, just down 23 from you. We'll have to take on a PBEM game, soon as I iron out my play and game dynamics. Sound good?

Mines onboard... my understanding (could be wrong) is that by docking, weapons were auto filled. If not, then I missed that portion of the manual that told me how to load mines. I'll check again tonight with those DMWs that seem to be so successful.

Also, any thoughts on why a minelayer wants to dock in a port where I want it to lay mines instead?
User avatar
jhdeerslayer
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 3:24 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by jhdeerslayer »

PBEM sounds good someday but I'm like you, very fresh and just started this game this week. I am no expert either and I thought mines should auto load at dock. As far as your other question... some expert can handle that one.

Lets keep in touch for future PBEM as soon as we abuse the AI for awhile :-)
Point Luck
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: East Coast-US

Mine Laying

Post by Point Luck »

I asked this same question I noticed that certain MSW vessels have mines onboard others don't (more don't) I can't figure out if I can load mines on MSW that don't have mines on board. As far as subs go I haven't found any sub chosen for mine laying OPs to have mines on board. Again I you have to load these units first I haven't see where this happens. I do know that any ship selected for mine OPs MUST have mines onboard as part of thier loadout.
Supervisor
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am

Post by Supervisor »

As far as subs go I haven't found any sub chosen for mine laying OPs to have mines on board.

When I have created SS minelaying TFs, when I choose the sub there is a pause while it says: Loading xx Type mine. After laying and when back in port, the only way to reload the sub is to disband and reform the TF. Refueling/replenishing it doesn't reload the mines.
I noticed that certain MSW vessels have mines onboard others don't (more don't) I can't figure out if I can load mines on MSW that don't have mines on board.

The only ships that I've found that can lay mines are ML & DM. MSW & DMS will only sweep (not lay) mines. I have never seen a MSW that has mine loadout. (Not that says a lot :D :D ).
corbulo
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: rigel 5

Post by corbulo »

This sounds right, that mls lay mines and mswes sweep mines, but why does the manual make such a big deal out of setting the retirement allowed function so as to lay mines. I have had the same problem as the japanese. I have an ML that has 60 mines on board but it wont lay mines, another ML close by has 45 mines on board and it lays mines - gives the message "will lay mines at DH". I have tried every conceivable setting and still will not lay mines, it is possible that there are mines already there.
virtute omne regatur
Mark W Carver
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:13 am
Location: South-central PA

Post by Mark W Carver »

Originally posted by corbulo
This sounds right, that mls lay mines and mswes sweep mines, but why does the manual make sure a big deal out of setting the retirement allowed function so as to lay mines.
Because if a Mine Warfare TF with ML or DM (with mines loaded) is set to Patrol/Do Not Retire, once it reaches it's DH, it will not lay mines. They will only lay mines if the TF is set Retirement Allowed.

You sweep a minefield with Patrol/Do Not Retire and lay a minefield with Retirement Allowed...
corbulo
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: rigel 5

Post by corbulo »

is the opposite true, an msw will not sweep unless
PATROL/DO NOT RETIRE
is set? (p. 44)
virtute omne regatur
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

One last element

Post by Toro »

Thanks for the notes, all. Got the ML vs MS down now (I, too, was confused by the manual suggesting the "retire" setting would solve my problem).

HOWEVER: I've seen notes from folks able to lay mines in base (or potential base) hexes, but can't seem to convince my MLs to do this. Thoughts?

Thanks, Toro
User avatar
Didz
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:00 am
Location: UK

Post by Didz »

I think I'm also right in saying that Subs do not load or reload mines unless the TF they are in is disbanded and reformed as a Sub Minelaying mission.

I've certainly noticed my subs travel all the way to the destination hex and back without laying a mine.

I'm not sure about DM's most of the time they seem to work fine but just occasionally they seem to forget to do something.
Didz
Fortis balore et armis
sitkis
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:00 am

Post by sitkis »

I can only get a ML TF to lay mines at a base if I set the home port for the ML TF to something else. If you want to lay mines at your new Munda base you would need to have a ML task force with a home port close (say Shortland,) and have it do the run from there. If you set the home base to Munda it won't mine Munda. Basically, it looks like the routine for laying mines is much like a night bombardment dash. The ML task force will set up 5 or 6 hexes away, then dash in at night to lay the mines.


If you take a base a long distance from any other base (Japs taking PM without taking Gili for example) it is impossible to mine that hex. Unless someone can educate this old man.
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

Thanks, sitkis

Post by Toro »

I'll give your idea a try.
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”