
Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
Here she is...its the petite cruiser, HMS Penelope [&o].


- Attachments
-
- hmspenelope.jpg (23.73 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
-
Mike Scholl
- Posts: 6187
- Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
- Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
ORIGINAL: Smeulders
I wonder what was up there ? Did the 'pagodas' have any function that couldn't have been more easily placed closer to deck or did they just decide to put up a skyscraper on a Battleship ?
As originally built, the Japanese BB's had very large hexipodal mast structures. When additional bridges and platforms were added during upgrades, they were hung on these masts creating the pagoda structures.
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
I think they had a couple of 5 inch guns up there too.
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
My favorite CL class


RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
1) Prettiest battleship. RM BB Vittorio Veneto. Hands down most beautiful BB design ever. Italians can make even a battleship look like a Ferrari.
2) Sexiest cruiser IJN CL Agano class. Sleek ships. They seem to do 30 kts, even standing still.
3) Hottest destroyer, RN Tribal class. To me they look just like a destroyers should look.
4) Most curvalicious aircraft carrier, IJN Shokaku. Well, not really. There is no possible way of making a CV into really good looking ship, -let alone curvalicious- no matter who builds it. Any CV of the world will always look like a parking lot build on top of a barge.
5) Bodacious-est.... RN Roberts class monitors. Bodacious enough?
2) Sexiest cruiser IJN CL Agano class. Sleek ships. They seem to do 30 kts, even standing still.
3) Hottest destroyer, RN Tribal class. To me they look just like a destroyers should look.
4) Most curvalicious aircraft carrier, IJN Shokaku. Well, not really. There is no possible way of making a CV into really good looking ship, -let alone curvalicious- no matter who builds it. Any CV of the world will always look like a parking lot build on top of a barge.
5) Bodacious-est.... RN Roberts class monitors. Bodacious enough?
- JohnDillworth
- Posts: 3104
- Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
Please do not take this the wrong way - every one is entitled to their own opinion - but that is absolutely ridiculous. That is not a warship - it is a complete and utter mess
No offense taken, I am just a pagoda type of guy on my BB's. I like my cruisers streamlined though.
I like these:

- Attachments
-
- Atago.jpg (314.56 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
A)


- Attachments
-
- bama.jpg (76.26 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Art by the Rogue-USMC
WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art
"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
Considering my avatar, my favourite has to be Fuso [:)]


- Attachments
-
- BBFuso10051933.jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 351 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
Another one (previous was as in 05/10/1933 [mm/dd/yyyy]), as in 1928 before reconstruction.


- Attachments
-
- BBFuso1928.jpg (121.88 KiB) Viewed 349 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
and finally Fuso as in 1939, in Sukumo Bay.


- Attachments
-
- BBFusoat..Bay1939.jpg (142.86 KiB) Viewed 349 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
A. Yamato class BB
B. Tone class CA
C. Le Fantastique class DD
D. Independence class CVL
E. Nelson class BB
B. Tone class CA
C. Le Fantastique class DD
D. Independence class CVL
E. Nelson class BB

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
For the DD I mentioned earlier:
Tashkent

Tashkent

Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
Easily the best looking and truly light cruiser (not like those big american CL's that were very effective but not light!):


RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
ORIGINAL: DivePac88
C. Le Fantastique class DD
Hello DivePac88,
There was no "Le Fantastique class DD" in Marine Nationale but "Le Fantasque class DD" [:)] . Also "La Triomphant" should be "Le Triomphant".
Here is a picture of "Le Triomphant" taken in Sydney Harbour in 1942-1943.
On the other hand, this class was later in the war reclassified as CL because of their huge size compared to the average DDs.
Regards
Gilbert
PS-And congratulations for your outstanding art !
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
Picture


- Attachments
-
- Le_Triomph..ur4243.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 349 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
ORIGINAL: d0mbo
Easily the best looking and truly light cruiser (not like those big american CL's that were very effective but not light!):
![]()
Which CL is this?
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
ORIGINAL: oldman45
ORIGINAL: d0mbo
Easily the best looking and truly light cruiser (not like those big american CL's that were very effective but not light!):
![]()
Which CL is this?
Hi Oldman45. She is Yahagi 12/19/1942 on her trials off Sasebo.
Regards
Gilbert

- Attachments
-
- ClYahagi..121942.jpg (161.58 KiB) Viewed 350 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
That is a nice looking light cruiser, I do think its bias if you use a color picture [:'(]
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
Prinz Eugen was a little tough cruiser:
1 July 1946: A-bomb test Able. At 0900, a nuclear bomb dropped over a target fleet of ships by a B-29 detonates at 518 feet above the surface. Prinz Eugen is located 1,194 yards from the point of explosion and survives the test undamaged.
25 July 1946: A-bomb test Baker. At 0835, and nuclear bomb is detonated underwater at a depth of about 90 feet. Prinz Eugen is located 1,990 yards from the explosion, and again survives the test with no appreciable damage.
http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... _AbBzZS0Cg
1 July 1946: A-bomb test Able. At 0900, a nuclear bomb dropped over a target fleet of ships by a B-29 detonates at 518 feet above the surface. Prinz Eugen is located 1,194 yards from the point of explosion and survives the test undamaged.
25 July 1946: A-bomb test Baker. At 0835, and nuclear bomb is detonated underwater at a depth of about 90 feet. Prinz Eugen is located 1,990 yards from the explosion, and again survives the test with no appreciable damage.
http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... _AbBzZS0Cg
If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!
"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"
"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"
-
Mike Scholl
- Posts: 6187
- Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
- Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship
ORIGINAL: Frank
Prinz Eugen was a little tough cruiser:
1 July 1946: A-bomb test Able. At 0900, a nuclear bomb dropped over a target fleet of ships by a B-29 detonates at 518 feet above the surface. Prinz Eugen is located 1,194 yards from the point of explosion and survives the test undamaged.
25 July 1946: A-bomb test Baker. At 0835, and nuclear bomb is detonated underwater at a depth of about 90 feet. Prinz Eugen is located 1,990 yards from the explosion, and again survives the test with no appreciable damage.
There was nothing "little" about Prinz Eugen, as she exceeded treaty limits by a wide margin. And while a lovely ship, she was a total pain-in-the-butt to keep running. As I recall, the had to be towed most of the way to Bikini after her complicated machinery broke down completely.





