Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by warspite1 »

Here she is...its the petite cruiser, HMS Penelope [&o].

Image
Attachments
hmspenelope.jpg
hmspenelope.jpg (23.73 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

I wonder what was up there ? Did the 'pagodas' have any function that couldn't have been more easily placed closer to deck or did they just decide to put up a skyscraper on a Battleship ?

As originally built, the Japanese BB's had very large hexipodal mast structures. When additional bridges and platforms were added during upgrades, they were hung on these masts creating the pagoda structures.
User avatar
oldman45
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 4:15 am
Location: Jacksonville Fl

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by oldman45 »

I think they had a couple of 5 inch guns up there too.
User avatar
oldman45
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 4:15 am
Location: Jacksonville Fl

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by oldman45 »

My favorite CL class

Image
Ametysth
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:21 pm

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Ametysth »

1) Prettiest battleship. RM BB Vittorio Veneto. Hands down most beautiful BB design ever. Italians can make even a battleship look like a Ferrari.

2) Sexiest cruiser IJN CL Agano class. Sleek ships. They seem to do 30 kts, even standing still.

3) Hottest destroyer, RN Tribal class. To me they look just like a destroyers should look.

4) Most curvalicious aircraft carrier, IJN Shokaku. Well, not really. There is no possible way of making a CV into really good looking ship, -let alone curvalicious- no matter who builds it. Any CV of the world will always look like a parking lot build on top of a barge.

5) Bodacious-est.... RN Roberts class monitors. Bodacious enough?
User avatar
JohnDillworth
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by JohnDillworth »

Please do not take this the wrong way - every one is entitled to their own opinion - but that is absolutely ridiculous. That is not a warship - it is a complete and utter mess

No offense taken, I am just a pagoda type of guy on my BB's. I like my cruisers streamlined though.

I like these:


Image
Attachments
Atago.jpg
Atago.jpg (314.56 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
User avatar
TOMLABEL
Posts: 4473
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Alabama - ROLL TIDE!!!!!

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by TOMLABEL »

A)


Image
Attachments
bama.jpg
bama.jpg (76.26 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Image
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
Gilbert
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Hendaye, France

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Gilbert »

Considering my avatar, my favourite has to be Fuso [:)]

Image
Attachments
BBFuso10051933.jpg
BBFuso10051933.jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 342 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
User avatar
Gilbert
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Hendaye, France

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Gilbert »

Another one (previous was as in 05/10/1933 [mm/dd/yyyy]), as in 1928 before reconstruction.

Image
Attachments
BBFuso1928.jpg
BBFuso1928.jpg (121.88 KiB) Viewed 340 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
User avatar
Gilbert
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Hendaye, France

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Gilbert »

and finally Fuso as in 1939, in Sukumo Bay.

Image
Attachments
BBFusoat..Bay1939.jpg
BBFusoat..Bay1939.jpg (142.86 KiB) Viewed 340 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
User avatar
DivePac88
Posts: 3119
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Somewhere in the South Pacific.

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by DivePac88 »

A. Yamato class BB

B. Tone class CA

C. Le Fantastique class DD

D. Independence class CVL

E. Nelson class BB
Image
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
User avatar
Iridium
Posts: 932
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Jersey

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Iridium »

For the DD I mentioned earlier:

Tashkent

Image
Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.
Image
"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture
d0mbo
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 am
Location: Holland

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by d0mbo »

Easily the best looking and truly light cruiser (not like those big american CL's that were very effective but not light!):
 
Image
User avatar
Gilbert
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Hendaye, France

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Gilbert »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88


C. Le Fantastique class DD


Hello DivePac88,

There was no "Le Fantastique class DD" in Marine Nationale but "Le Fantasque class DD" [:)] . Also "La Triomphant" should be "Le Triomphant".

Here is a picture of "Le Triomphant" taken in Sydney Harbour in 1942-1943.

On the other hand, this class was later in the war reclassified as CL because of their huge size compared to the average DDs.

Regards
Gilbert

PS-And congratulations for your outstanding art !
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
User avatar
Gilbert
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Hendaye, France

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Gilbert »

Picture

Image
Attachments
Le_Triomph..ur4243.jpg
Le_Triomph..ur4243.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 340 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
User avatar
oldman45
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 4:15 am
Location: Jacksonville Fl

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by oldman45 »

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

Easily the best looking and truly light cruiser (not like those big american CL's that were very effective but not light!):

Image


Which CL is this?
User avatar
Gilbert
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Hendaye, France

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Gilbert »

ORIGINAL: oldman45

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

Easily the best looking and truly light cruiser (not like those big american CL's that were very effective but not light!):

Image


Which CL is this?

Hi Oldman45. She is Yahagi 12/19/1942 on her trials off Sasebo.


Regards
Gilbert

Image
Attachments
ClYahagi..121942.jpg
ClYahagi..121942.jpg (161.58 KiB) Viewed 341 times
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
User avatar
oldman45
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 4:15 am
Location: Jacksonville Fl

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by oldman45 »

That is a nice looking light cruiser, I do think its bias if you use a color picture [:'(]
User avatar
frank1970
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Bayern

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by frank1970 »

Prinz Eugen was a little tough cruiser:

1 July 1946: A-bomb test Able. At 0900, a nuclear bomb dropped over a target fleet of ships by a B-29 detonates at 518 feet above the surface. Prinz Eugen is located 1,194 yards from the point of explosion and survives the test undamaged.

25 July 1946: A-bomb test Baker. At 0835, and nuclear bomb is detonated underwater at a depth of about 90 feet. Prinz Eugen is located 1,990 yards from the explosion, and again survives the test with no appreciable damage.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... _AbBzZS0Cg


If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Vote for: Beauty and the Battleship

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Frank

Prinz Eugen was a little tough cruiser:

1 July 1946: A-bomb test Able. At 0900, a nuclear bomb dropped over a target fleet of ships by a B-29 detonates at 518 feet above the surface. Prinz Eugen is located 1,194 yards from the point of explosion and survives the test undamaged.

25 July 1946: A-bomb test Baker. At 0835, and nuclear bomb is detonated underwater at a depth of about 90 feet. Prinz Eugen is located 1,990 yards from the explosion, and again survives the test with no appreciable damage.


There was nothing "little" about Prinz Eugen, as she exceeded treaty limits by a wide margin. And while a lovely ship, she was a total pain-in-the-butt to keep running. As I recall, the had to be towed most of the way to Bikini after her complicated machinery broke down completely.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”