Gamebreaker

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Who Cares
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Gamebreaker

Post by Who Cares »

Wake me up when supplies work. Top half is March 24th. Bottom half March 27th. Look at the supply demand at Gifu (where General Defense Army HQ is located). The "demand" there is 50,000 supply (25 for the base 25 for the HQ). Now look at the "available supply" at the bases surrounding it. Around 50,000 within 1 hex, more than 100,000 within 2 hexes, yet the supply level actually dropped at Gifu every turn.

In another game (the one with the B-17s in the other thread), 10 Brit/Indian/Australian divisions advancing through Burma. No supplies at all going to bases south of Dacca/Ledo yet all my troops even as far south as 3 hexes beyond Magwe are fully supplied and on the roll.

Both of these games have come to a halt (1 by me, 1 by my Finnish opponent which I agree with). I'm going back to WitP. At least it worked.

Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (115.99 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Andy Mac »

Turn off the supply draw for all bases you have it set to ON for and you supply situation will get back to normal in a few days
 
Andy
User avatar
vonTirpitz
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC
Contact:

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by vonTirpitz »

Supply management requires more finesse in AE than it did in WITP.

As Andy stated you really should turn the "supplies required" down to minimum for all your bases. This topic has been covered before and explained in other threads.

Supply management in AE works.

The user interface to manage supply, on the other hand, is where you can get yourself into trouble if you are trying to micromanage things (particularly playing Japan). Just turn everything back down, understand that if you are requesting 3000 supplies at a base you are actually requesting 3x that number (i.e. 9000) and understand that most of the supply system does what it is supposed to do without the player getting directly involved in most cases.

Turn everything back to minimum supply required and give yourself a few days for the system to 'stabilize' the supplies at each base.
Image
Who Cares
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Who Cares »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Turn off the supply draw for all bases you have it set to ON for and you supply situation will get back to normal in a few days

Andy

I have those bases set to just over 10,000 to KEEP SOME SUPPLY THERE TO REPAIR THEIR FACTORIES. Otherwise, they will get sucked to zero and wont be able to repair. Fix this crap. No excuse.
Xxzard
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Arizona

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Xxzard »

On another supply issue, I don't know why, but the base at Chumphon, on the narrow part of the Maylayan Peninsula, will not draw enough supplies when I request it to. I was unable to keep an airfield running there because there was no supply coming in. I tried drawing it in, but it wouldn't go above 20 supply. This was as the British when I captured it from Japan. Supplies seem to go through it, but do not stay there.
Image
Who Cares
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Who Cares »

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

Supply management requires more finesse in AE than it did in WITP.

As Andy stated you really should turn the "supplies required" down to minimum for all your bases. This topic has been covered before and explained in other threads.

Supply management in AE works.

The user interface to manage supply, on the other hand, is where you can get yourself into trouble if you are trying to micromanage things (particularly playing Japan). Just turn everything back down, understand that if you are requesting 3000 supplies at a base you are actually requesting 3x that number (i.e. 9000) and understand that most of the supply system does what it is supposed to do without the player getting directly involved in most cases.

Turn everything back to minimum supply required and give yourself a few days for the system to 'stabilize' the supplies at each base.

If I have it set to 10,000 why would it be requesting 30,000? In what way does that make sense? If I request 10,000 then I want 10,000. Why is their some hidden bullsh*t saying that I really want 3 times that? Fix it.
Who Cares
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Who Cares »

ORIGINAL: Xxzard

On another supply issue, I don't know why, but the base at Chumphon, on the narrow part of the Maylayan Peninsula, will not draw enough supplies when I request it to. I was unable to keep an airfield running there because there was no supply coming in. I tried drawing it in, but it wouldn't go above 20 supply. This was as the British when I captured it from Japan. Supplies seem to go through it, but do not stay there.

I have that problem in reverse. I have so many supplies there, I cant keep any in Singapore:

Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (56.79 KiB) Viewed 619 times
User avatar
BigJ62
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:53 am
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Contact:

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by BigJ62 »

In witp it is 3 x supplies required and so it is in ae.
If supplies required were 1 x you would damn near have to micro-manage every f-ing base on the map.

You have supplies required set too high, TURN THEM DOWN. You also need to have hell of a lot of supplies if you are going to repair a lot of factories.

ORIGINAL: Who Cares

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

Supply management requires more finesse in AE than it did in WITP.

As Andy stated you really should turn the "supplies required" down to minimum for all your bases. This topic has been covered before and explained in other threads.

Supply management in AE works.

The user interface to manage supply, on the other hand, is where you can get yourself into trouble if you are trying to micromanage things (particularly playing Japan). Just turn everything back down, understand that if you are requesting 3000 supplies at a base you are actually requesting 3x that number (i.e. 9000) and understand that most of the supply system does what it is supposed to do without the player getting directly involved in most cases.

Turn everything back to minimum supply required and give yourself a few days for the system to 'stabilize' the supplies at each base.

If I have it set to 10,000 why would it be requesting 30,000? In what way does that make sense? If I request 10,000 then I want 10,000. Why is their some hidden bullsh*t saying that I really want 3 times that? Fix it.
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
Who Cares
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Who Cares »

Ok, so let me understand this. As supreme commander I can:

A) Order a chief petty officer to go from this squadron to another, or for that matter, I can grant him leave time.

B) Tell a specific airplane (in a 1 plane group) to do a certain thing.

C) Order an unlimited number of units in a single hex to attack.

ect ect.

But what I can not do is when a base determines that it needs "X" amount of supply (in fact that number is multiplied by 3) I, as supreme commander can NOT say "no".

So 2 questions, #1 Am I correct in my interpretation? #2 Does that REALLY make sense to you?
User avatar
Don Bowen
Posts: 5192
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: Who Cares

Ok, so let me understand this. As supreme commander I can:

A) Order a chief petty officer to go from this squadron to another, or for that matter, I can grant him leave time.

B) Tell a specific airplane (in a 1 plane group) to do a certain thing.

C) Order an unlimited number of units in a single hex to attack.

ect ect.

But what I can not do is when a base determines that it needs "X" amount of supply (in fact that number is multiplied by 3) I, as supreme commander can NOT say "no".

So 2 questions, #1 Am I correct in my interpretation? #2 Does that REALLY make sense to you?

In WITP, all supply movement was done automatically - with no control by the player. The routines balanced available supply against need. Did not just satisfy basic need - if more was available it spread the around as well (using the same percentage of demand). I believe the overage was controlled, maybe three x? Memory fades and who cares.

There was a lot of demand for player ability to increase the supply requirements for a base. Primarily to accumulate supply for some purpose. So we added a function to request additional supply for a base. It increases the "basic" supply need but the actual amount drawn is based on amount available. For example, if you request an additional 10k for a base that already needs 5k, the base shows a basic need of 15k. The auto supply movement routines will attempt to satisfy the 15k need then, as always, spread any additional around based on the need. A request for 10k in a "supply rich" environment could draw many times that.

So, in AE, supply movement is almost completely automatic. Supply flows to need, assuming a path can be drawn along which the supply can flow. Players can request an increase in supply for specific bases. They can no request that a specific base be starved.

Yup, that makes sense to me.
User avatar
Don Bowen
Posts: 5192
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: Who Cares

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Turn off the supply draw for all bases you have it set to ON for and you supply situation will get back to normal in a few days

Andy

I have those bases set to just over 10,000 to KEEP SOME SUPPLY THERE TO REPAIR THEIR FACTORIES. Otherwise, they will get sucked to zero and wont be able to repair. Fix this crap. No excuse.

I don't like you. This post is a good example of why.
Smeulders
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:13 pm

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Smeulders »

Who cares, you may have a point that the request supply feature may have been done a bit better, but you are not the first one to have done so. If you had done a bit of searching, you would have found older threads about this and you would have found a detailed explanation as to the algorithm that distributes supply. If you had read it, you would have found out that the number you show are perfectly in line with this publicly posted algorithm and you would have found ways to solver your problem. This laziness on your end may be excused, but your rudeness can not be. Frankly I'm surprised devs still responded after your OP and even more surprised some even did after your completely inappropriate response to persons actually helping you. My advice to you, take some lessons in politeness, your bullying may help you elsewhere, but it won't help you here. If this is ever changed, it surely won't be because of your charming posts here, but because other people asked so politely.
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by USSAmerica »

Well said, Smeulders.  
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by wdolson »

The number displayed for supply demand, before you adjust it is what the base is expected to need for the next week.  (Changing conditions like more or less ground units, combat, more or less air ops, etc. can change this, but this is what the game engine expects to need.)  The supply routine will try to keep a three week supply on hand at all times.  If it drops below this threshold, the supply level will turn orange.  If it drops below what is needed for a week, it will turn red.

When you add 1000 supply to the requirement, you are artificially bumping up what the game thinks the base needs for the next week by 1000.  The supply routine will do what it always does and try to get 3 times what is needed at the base.

That's why when you add 1000, it actually increases demand on the supply system for 3 times that.  To make the increased demand be 1X what is needed would only add 1/3 to the base's demand, and cause a whole other type of confusion.  There is no perfect way to do increased demand, but it is done in line with how supply has always worked in the WitP family of games.

As for supply problems in Burma, there are special Monsoon movement limits so bases in the back country could end up short of supply even when coastal or Indian bases on rail lines have more than they need.  Blame the weather and bad roads for that.  It's by design.  If you don't like it, you can go back to the basic game pre-patches.  I believe this was added with patch 1.

Bill
WIS Development Team
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by BrucePowers »

I think this game handles the complexity of real world logistics fairly well.
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Tuhhodge
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:19 pm

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Tuhhodge »

wdolson - thanks for that simple explanation of supply. I was also confused - probably because reading the game manual induces me into deep sleep and I hadn't quite coem to grips with the supply chapter!
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by LoBaron »

Tuhhodge, just be aware that the manual isn´t really up to date anymore re: supply. Some things have changed during the patches, but there are loads of interesting
threads on this topic. Just read through the discussions and already learned something new.

Two I found quite fast using the search function:

tm.asp?m=2395397

tm.asp?m=2331493

Theres lots to learn. For me also. I might understand the air war pretty well but as soon as I like to see myself as a proper veteran some new things pop up I don´t
quite understand (yet [:D]) or my opponent uses a tweak that I did not think of and I feel very small again... [;)]




Some people ask questions, which is great, some search by themselves, also great, some just rant cause they didn´t understand a part of the game and overreact to
their ego, that tells em they found a major feature of the game to be broken, but noone else noticed, but WhoCares... [:'(]
Image
Smeulders
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:13 pm

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Smeulders »

Wdolson, isn't the number of supply required per month instead of per week ?

For those interested, the algorithm I talked about was posted by BigJ in an earlier thread on this topic and can be found on the AE wiki as well.
http://hc-strategy.com/ae/wiki/index.php?title=Overland_Supply_Movement
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
User avatar
BigJ62
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:53 am
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Contact:

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by BigJ62 »

LCUs use per month and by extension so do bases when the units are at that base but bases also supply units not in base hexes and this is not known in advance nor can be displayed in the supply requirements so some bases may have a hidden cost.

All other resource types are per day.

Due to the fact that some bases can only be resupplied once or twice per week the 3 x requirement makes since otherwise you would have to tweak all these bases to do what the code is doing for you already. I have already tried the 1x thing and it was a disaster, after several turns of playing I gave up as it was just too much work to get all my bases into supply and keep them that way.

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

Wdolson, isn't the number of supply required per month instead of per week ?

For those interested, the algorithm I talked about was posted by BigJ in an earlier thread on this topic and can be found on the AE wiki as well.
http://hc-strategy.com/ae/wiki/index.php?title=Overland_Supply_Movement
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Gamebreaker

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The number displayed for supply demand, before you adjust it is what the base is expected to need for the next week.  (Changing conditions like more or less ground units, combat, more or less air ops, etc. can change this, but this is what the game engine expects to need.)  The supply routine will try to keep a three week supply on hand at all times.  If it drops below this threshold, the supply level will turn orange.  If it drops below what is needed for a week, it will turn red.

When you add 1000 supply to the requirement, you are artificially bumping up what the game thinks the base needs for the next week by 1000.  The supply routine will do what it always does and try to get 3 times what is needed at the base.

That's why when you add 1000, it actually increases demand on the supply system for 3 times that.  To make the increased demand be 1X what is needed would only add 1/3 to the base's demand, and cause a whole other type of confusion.  There is no perfect way to do increased demand, but it is done in line with how supply has always worked in the WitP family of games.

As for supply problems in Burma, there are special Monsoon movement limits so bases in the back country could end up short of supply even when coastal or Indian bases on rail lines have more than they need.  Blame the weather and bad roads for that.  It's by design.  If you don't like it, you can go back to the basic game pre-patches.  I believe this was added with patch 1.

Bill
wdolson, et. al.:

Thank you for the informative post. I didn't know some of this stuff (including the 3x supply demand 'pull'). Very useful.
Image
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”