Scrappy RN Destroyers

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by Alpha77 »

Yes, tracker tracks also repairs (but I don´t use it anymore to time consuming).

"I was actually moving stuff into Timor for an advanced base from Darwin."

I also thought I could do this (1st game). Didn´t work at all - also Darwin needs to supplied per sea which means even more danger. IF Darwin would be a normal base with rail connection the chance would be better (and if the Japs were not so godlike in the first 5-6 months). Well all the stuff surrendered in Koepnang I had there, this was the result of trying to reeinfore it.[8|]

I will try also the destroyer run around trick :)
User avatar
Mundy
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:12 am
Location: Neenah

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by Mundy »

Well, it was WITP1, [;)] and the entire Japanese offensive was seriously stalled.   I can't even consider such a move this time around.  While they were tied up, not only did I keep Wake, I took Iwo and Marcus.  I had been doing some early raids against the Home Islands.  IIRC, KB was safely tucked away at Hong Kong.
 
A Human player would not have let this happen.
 
At this point, I'll probably let the Commonwealth carry the baggage in the SW Pacific.  I'm favoring a WPO style direct run.  It depends on if I hit any capacity walls at some of the stops.
 
M-
 
 
Image
shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by shall59 »

I'm Allies vs AI in my games. It's Oct 42 and Rangoon is still holding out and has over 45k supply. It will eventually fall but for now it's keeping 93k Japs tied up. Darwin had 100% damage to everything due to daily Betty raids, but with some hard work I've got it built up and holding its' own now. I held Wake and now wish I hadn't. Keeping it supplied is more trouble than it's worth at this point in the game. I've always wanted to try your strategy of going straight for the heart but never had the nerve to; didn't want to play for three months and find out I made a bad mistake.
User avatar
Q-Ball
Posts: 7856
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:43 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by Q-Ball »

Those RN DDs at Hong Kong have to be accounted for, as well as all surface ships in the DEI. The IJN player has to escort all transport convoys, or risk having them destroyed by just a couple DDs.

The bright side is that the IJN player should have piles of surface ships to commit to the DEI in the first couple months; there isn't a great need outside of the SRA, other than escorting a few landings in the Pacific.
User avatar
Mundy
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:12 am
Location: Neenah

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by Mundy »

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of convoys heading west just south of HK.  I was amazed at how it wasn't too hard to intercept.
 
After my recklessness with my carriers, I've done a restart.  I was only about 10 days in.  It does take me about three evenings to get Dec 8 set up.  I've found, though, with each restart, I'm noticing more useful details.  I learned (very) early always to sweep the waters of Bataan.  I know enough to mine the crap out of the Dutch base in NW Borneo (Kuching?)
 
This may go against the grain here. but even though I disband TF Z on Dec 7, I always send them up to contest the nearest landing to the north on the 8th. (vs the AI anyway)  More often than not, at least one of the duo will survive.  Last time, Haruna took a serious pounding from the three 15" shells I landed on her.  I figure that real-life doctrine would have demanded it.  If they make it back, honor satisfied, I'll withdraw them to Columbo.
 
M-
Image
John Lansford
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by John Lansford »

Your RN DD's will rearm their torpedoes just fine at Manila if you've still got the AD at that port.  When the AI got its troops too close to that city, though, I evacuated Black Hawk, Pelias and every other support ship I could move out of there and down to Darwin.  It was a close thing too; the AI's advance had already taken Davao and I barely managed to sneak the TF through their tightening air cover.  Also got the Bataan and Cebu Base Forces out and down to Oz, where they were invaluable in getting Darwin up defense-wise.  Also, consider evacuating some of the British base forces out of the DEI and Singapore.  You'll need them later, but you have to be quick about it.
User avatar
Mundy
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:12 am
Location: Neenah

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by Mundy »

That sounds right.  I had Black Hawk evacuated early.  I'm still setting up the first turn, so I can fix that.
 
As far as the LCUs, that's pretty much exactly my thinking.  First priority goes to the Oz units once they reach Singapore.  From there I start with the southern-most Dutch base units, starting on Timor and working north.  Last time, I was too late with Cebu and lost the transport.  All this has to be combined with miserly expenditure of PPs to keep the flow efficient.  Darwin becomes the HQ for ABDA.  Of course, the more you save from the East, the less that's immediately available from the States.  But I figure nothing too major will happen from that direction right away.
 
M-
Image
John Lansford
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by John Lansford »

The good thing about Cebu and Bataan Base Units is it requires no PP's to make them available for evacuation.  Just load them up and head south.  I think there's another PI base unit that can be moved as well.
 
I started at the north and NW and began evacuating units south to Oz.  The Dutch units got left for last, but since there's very few replacements for them they weren't all that valuable anyway.  The British and US units can rebuild even if you just get a fragment out though.
User avatar
Mundy
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:12 am
Location: Neenah

RE: Scrappy RN Destroyers

Post by Mundy »

I think the Dutch are useful in the beginning anyway.  Aussie base forces seem to be at a premium at the start.  I've got the mass hinterland exodus to Brisbane underway.  I've got get all the scattered puzzle pieces reassembled.

Back in Vanilla against the AI, I saved a large chunk of the Dutch forces.  The Martin squadrons got rather skilled, and I wound up letting them keep their B-10s instead of upgrading.  I have a feeling I'll have a harder time duplicating that here -- especially with a more aggressive AI in AE.

As it is, I seem to be acquiring a perverse joy in setting up Dec 8.

M-
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”