How to fasten computer's turn?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).
Lehnardtsson
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:40 am

How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by Lehnardtsson »

Hi,

Playing the campaign I am not so fond in watching every attack by the computer and then having to make a pause (getting some food, goiing to the toilets etc..)
I would rather have a quick computer turn and focus on my business.
I usually prefer to just check what is really important myself instead of having to watch the whole thing.
I cannot reduce the delay to 0 because in such cases I would not see what I do.

Julien
alfonso
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Palma de Mallorca

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by alfonso »

ORIGINAL: Lehnardtsson

Hi,

Playing the campaign I am not so fond in watching every attack by the computer and then having to make a pause (getting some food, goiing to the toilets etc..)
I would rather have a quick computer turn and focus on my business.
I usually prefer to just check what is really important myself instead of having to watch the whole thing.
I cannot reduce the delay to 0 because in such cases I would not see what I do.

Julien


mmmm, is it not possible to reduce the delay to 0 just before hitting F12?
User avatar
sillyflower
Posts: 3509
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Back in Blighty

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: alfonso

ORIGINAL: Lehnardtsson

Hi,

Playing the campaign I am not so fond in watching every attack by the computer and then having to make a pause (getting some food, goiing to the toilets etc..)
I would rather have a quick computer turn and focus on my business.
I usually prefer to just check what is really important myself instead of having to watch the whole thing.
I cannot reduce the delay to 0 because in such cases I would not see what I do.

Julien


mmmm, is it not possible to reduce the delay to 0 just before hitting F12?

yes
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
User avatar
cookie monster
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Birmingham,England

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by cookie monster »

to speed up the ai turn

when you are finished with your orders press 0

zoom all the way out

click end turn

when its your next turn press 1-7 for level of combat detail you wanna see
User avatar
jomni
Posts: 2827
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:31 am
Contact:

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by jomni »

Yeah for some reason, zooming out makes the turn faster. 
User avatar
Templer_12
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:29 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Yeah for some reason, zooming out makes the turn faster. 

Now can someone tell me why zooming out makes the turn faster? [&:]
User avatar
Helpless
Posts: 15788
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:12 pm

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by Helpless »

Now can someone tell me why zooming out makes the turn faster?

Less stuff to calc and draw (CV values, detections, etc..)
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2/CS-2 Development
arras
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:13 pm
Contact:

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by arras »

Not really on topic but related. How to speed rail movement of units across the USSR:

Give rail movement order to unit then ALT-TAB to another application. Wait one second. ALT-TAB back. Your unit is in destination.

I was tearing my hairs trying to rail all those reinforcements from East side to the front. Looks there is no way to speed movement which takes ages. Switching to another application and back cause train to teleport. Along with its cargo ;)
User avatar
abulbulian
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:42 pm

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by abulbulian »

ORIGINAL: arras

Not really on topic but related. How to speed rail movement of units across the USSR:

Give rail movement order to unit then ALT-TAB to another application. Wait one second. ALT-TAB back. Your unit is in destination.

I was tearing my hairs trying to rail all those reinforcements from East side to the front. Looks there is no way to speed movement which takes ages. Switching to another application and back cause train to teleport. Along with its cargo ;)

If I'm understanding what this is concerning, I would try using SPACE BAR to expedite the rail movement display. Would be a little less annoying than ALT-TAB. [:'(]
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
arras
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:13 pm
Contact:

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by arras »

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

If I'm understanding what this is concerning, I would try using SPACE BAR to expedite the rail movement display. Would be a little less annoying than ALT-TAB. [:'(]

I'll try that, thanks. If it does what you understand I am concerned about, it will be indeed less annoying :) Seems I should look at the shortcut table once more ;)
User avatar
Fänrik Stål
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:06 pm
Location: Sweden

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by Fänrik Stål »

ORIGINAL: arras

Not really on topic but related. How to speed rail movement of units across the USSR:

Give rail movement order to unit then ALT-TAB to another application. Wait one second. ALT-TAB back. Your unit is in destination.

I was tearing my hairs trying to rail all those reinforcements from East side to the front. Looks there is no way to speed movement which takes ages. Switching to another application and back cause train to teleport. Along with its cargo ;)
I turned off the move animation. Did the trick for me. Now I just click on the destination hex and ZAP! they're there.[:)]
Edit: even stacks move instantaneously.
"Släpp ingen djävul över bron!"
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by Mynok »


Click Rail Move button, click units, right click destination, hit space bar. Your units will appear there instantly.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
Helpless
Posts: 15788
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:12 pm

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by Helpless »

Your units will appear there instantly.

Unless interdicted ;)
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2/CS-2 Development
User avatar
cookie monster
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Birmingham,England

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: Helpless
Your units will appear there instantly.

Unless interdicted ;)

Aha I have fond memories of trying to move lots of units in the south.

80% of the time they were bombed.

I'm glad it was patched out!
User avatar
Templer_12
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:29 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by Templer_12 »

So far I've only played the "short" campaigns.

Today I started on the axis side the 1944-45 campaign.
The first turn plays the Soviet Union.

The turn requires at least 55 min ?! [X(]

That's take only as long on my system or do I have to live with such times?
User avatar
cookie monster
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Birmingham,England

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: Templer

So far I've only played the "short" campaigns.

Today I started on the axis side the 1944-45 campaign.
The first turn plays the Soviet Union.

The turn requires at least 55 min ?! [X(]

That's take only as long on my system or do I have to live with such times?

What are you computer specs?

RAM and processor?

Message Settings?
User avatar
Templer_12
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:29 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by Templer_12 »

Windows XP
Pentium IV 3 GHz with Hyper-Threading Technology
2.75 GB RAM
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series 1024 MB
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011

Massage Setting = 0

55 min. That was a painful surprise.
User avatar
cookie monster
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Birmingham,England

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by cookie monster »

Well that sounds ok

I have run the game in that time period on my laptop with no problems

The laptop is of less power than your computer

Did you have alot of other applications open at the same time?

Are you computer maintenance tasks up to date?
User avatar
Templer_12
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:29 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

RE: How to fasten computer's turn?

Post by Templer_12 »

There are not so much applications runnig at the same time and all maintenance tasks are up to date.

So I have to live with it.
OK if I know now it's not up to my system.
But there will come long days! [:(]
User avatar
Templer_12
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:29 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

RE: Zooming out makes the turn faster. Why?

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: Helpless
Now can someone tell me why zooming out makes the turn faster?

Less stuff to calc and draw (CV values, detections, etc..)

So to clarify: If I minimize the game to the taskbar then it should turn fastest? [&:]
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”