Oct. 29/42:
Burma:
After the poor result over Cox's Bazar I wanted to try something with my air units. I launched a bombing raid on Shwebo with numerous units of bombers and fighters. The results were poor, but I was more interested in seeing how the AI committed my forces, the order of attack and how my units would coordinate. Weather at Shwebo was thunderstorms. Shwebo was picked because there were no enemy air units present, a good testing ground and an added benefit of causing damage to the airbase unopposed.
Here's the list of aircraft involved, base flown from, number of aircraft, the range to Shwebo, altitude, mission set and the actual mission performed. The order written is the order in which the air units attacked from the combat reports. All occurred during the morning air phase.
33rd Sentai (Ki-43-Ic Oscar) - Taung Gyi - 30 aircraft - Range 3 - 24k - Sweep - Sweep
64th Sentai (Ki-43-Ic Oscar) - Toungoo - 36 aircraft - Range 5 - 12k -
Escort -
Sweep
59th Sentai (Ki-43-Ic Oscar) - Lashio - 36 aircraft - Range 3 - 15k - Sweep - Sweep
85th Sentai (Ki-44-IIa Tojo) - Toungoo - 28 aircraft - 5 - 20k - Sweep - Sweep
87th Sentai (Ki-44-IIa Tojo) - Toungoo - 23 aircraft - 5 - 25k - Sweep - Sweep
12th Sentai (Ki-21-Ic Sally) - Chaing Mai - 24 aircraft - 8 -
10k - Airfield - Airfield (This unit was escorted by the unit below)
13th Sentai (Ki-45 KAIa Nick) -Taung Gyi - 22 aircraft - 3 -
15k - Escort - Escort (Note the different altitude! Bombers at 10k and fighters at 15k)
98th Sentai (Ki-21-Ic Sally) - Chaing Mai - 29 aircraft - 8 - 12k - Airfield - Airfield (This unit was to be escorted by 64th Sentai above set to same altitude)
Damage to Shwebo was 4 AB and 12 Runway hits. Disappointing to be sure, but thunderstorms over the target.
Why am I posting this? It's one day of combat over a single target and proves nothing, but I note a few interesting things. With the exception of 64th and 13th Sentai's, every unit attacked in numerical order by the Sentai unit designation numerically from lowest to highest. Is this by design, or due to the range to target as stated below?
Other than the 64th Sentai which was set to escort and swept instead, all fighters designated sweep missions attacked Shwebo in order of range to the target. The closet unit (33rd Sentai) swept first, followed by 59th, 85th and 87th Sentai's. This is important, because I'd generally like to have the Tojo's be the first sweepers initially to inflict the greatest loss on the enemy. This means I must move them closer to the target in order to attack first, or at least I hope that will happen. That being said though, why did 59th Sentai attack first even though the Tojo's were also range 5 away form Shwebo. What determined the order of attack? Is there a chance a Tojo unit could have swept sooner?
It appears the altitude of each individual unit had no bearing on the order of attacks by the fighters. The bombers did attack in order of altitude and operated from the same airbase.
The bombers also attacked in order of unit designation. What was most interesting, was that a bomber unit set to 10k was escorted by a fighter unit set to 15k. Does this debunk the consensus that bombers and fighters must be set to the same altitude to increase coordination between bomber and escort, or did something else cause this?
I plan on following my air missions much more closely to learn if I can improve coordination, the order in which my aircraft attack and above all to improve the effectiveness of my air operations. I'm not saying things don't work, or is fubar, but I do want to understand what is happening so I make better decisions for improved results.
China:
Changsha airbase was pounded by Sonia's again inflicting 8 AB, 1 ABS and 82 Runway hits. The defenders of Changsha were bombed by Ki-21-Ic Sally's (18) for 0(6) infantry and 0(10) non-combat squad losses totalling 109 casualties. It all adds up. Ground troops followed up with an artillery bombardment that caused 2(1) infantry and 0(2) non-combat squads lost for 60 casualties. I plan a deliberate attack tomorrow, it may be too soon but I want Changsha dealt with sooner than later now.
The 17th Chinese/b Corps near Sining was bombed for 8(0) infantry and 4(1) non-combat squad losses totalling 92 casualties. This unit is close to being destroyed.
Miscellaneous:
Peleliu expands fortifications to size 1
Madang expands airfield to size 4
Ambon expands fortifications to size 4
Ankang expands fortifications to size 3
Oct. 30/42:
Sub Ops:
SS I-175 is spotted by the AM Madras near Vanua Lava, but the enemy ship does not attack. Leter in the phase, the SS I-175 decides it will attack the
AM Madras and actually hits and sinks her with a torpedo hit!
This is more like it. It's been a long time coming, but now that the Allies are operating where I can find them, they are taking losses. Small ships to be sure, but I can only hope as bigger Allied ships are commited they will vulnerable too.
Ndeni
Yesterday, I had attempted to intercept another Allied fast transport TF unloading at the base, unfortunately the DD's did not move as planned under full speed and no interception of the enemy occurred. Either a CD unit or a base unit has now been landed. Construction of an enemy airfield will result shortly.
China:
All bomber units were set to ground attack at Changsha today in preparation for another assault on the base. The Chinese defenders suffered 0(14) infantry, 1(15) non-combat and 0(1) engineer squads lost totalling 203 casualties.
A deliberate attack followed, and as feared, the attack suffered heavy losses. Japanese losses were 96(107) infantry, 59(110) non-combat and 1(30) engineer squads lost totalling 3569 casualties. the Chinese suffered only 16(58) infantry, 18(37) non-combat and 7(7) guns lost totalling 949 casualties. The odds were 1:1 however and the forts reduced to level 2. It's soon to fall, the question is do I drag it out to reduce losses or drive hard to finish it and move on?
After today's movements, I now have Changsha completely surrounded, although the W. and N.W. internal hexsides at Changsha are still open to the Chinese. This would allow them to retreat across these hexsides after a successful Japanese attack if I understand correctly. I'd like to close them but that will require Japanese units to assault across the river to do so. To the N.W. I have moved the 8th Recon Rgt. and to the West lies the bulk of the 11th Army. I goofed moving the 8th Recon Rgt. as I mistakenly thought of it in terms of an armoured car unit and not a component part of a division as it is. I was going to risk it being destroyed by crossing the river to close the hexside to Chinese retreat. This would mean a succesful ground assault at Changsha would force the defenders to retreat across the river against the 11th Army waiting at Siangtan and be bludgeoned. Then the 11th army could shock attack and wipe out this Chinese force.
My Dilemma is this, if I don't order the unit to cross, Chinese units from Changteh can march and force it out of the hex opening the way for a Chinese retreat to Changteh, or units from Changsha itself can assault across the river to escape by easily dislocating the 8th Recon Rgt. Or, I can risk wiping out the unit by ordering a river assault to close the hexside, allowing the complete destruction of every Chinese unit at Changsha. It appears to me I have to risk the unit, otherwise it can be dislodged/defeated/destroyed without serving a purpose. It's probable destruction would ensure the elimination of nine enemy formations. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.
Miscellaneous:
Fusan expands port to size 8 (I hope this increases the draw of fuel and resources to the base for transport to the Home Islands)
Pisanuloke expands fortifications to size 2
Rabaul expands airfield to size 7
Memboro expands fortifications to size 2
Ruteng expands fortifications to size 2
SC Ch 37 arrives at Okayama
SC Ch 39 arrives at Kobe
The movement of LCU's and supplies has begun for the Hawaiian operation. At the same time, I'm reinforcing New Guinea in an effort to mask my true intentions. The increased traffic around Truk without a corresponding increase around New Guinea might tip the Allies off that something is up in the Central Pacific. It's hard to say how the Allies will respond. I hope it leads to the idea that I'm simply committing more troops to counter Allied moves in the theatre while strengthening my overall defence, and NOT lead to the possibility that I actually intend to threaten Hawaii. Is this an attempt at Maskirovka that makes sense? [:D]
The next turn is the end of October and I'll post screenshots Empire wide. One thing of note, I'm contemplating a pull back in Burma to free up troops for a reserve and strengthen Sumatra. I may voluntarily give up the rail line and Mandalay to form a defensive line solely in rough terrain. Defending against an Allied thrust against Mandalay is an albatros around my neck. As the Allies build up every available airbase I see the potential for a disaster. The Allied air force can simply bomb my defending troops in open terrain into oblivion prior to any ground assault. If I pull back into rough terrain I ensure any Allied moves will have to occur in open terrain where I can at least bomb them forcing the Allied fighters to CAP their ground troops, or face heavy losses to air bombardment. It seems the smart thing to do and doesn't weaken my overall position as I see it. The eventual Burma screenshot will show what I mean more clearly.
Busy days ahead for the Empire!