ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1
ORIGINAL: redcoat
ORIGINAL: Local Yokel
I may have got this wrong but I have the impression that the decision not to seek peace terms was a near-run thing. Wasn't it the case that Halifax was strongly urging HMG to seek terms, but failed due to Churchill's defiance? If so, and if Churchill were taken out of the equation, perhaps the Halifax lobby would have proved irresistible.
If I remember Andrew Marr correctly the decision on whether to continue the war in 1940 was down to the five-man coalition War Cabinet. Two of the Conservatives – Chamberlain and Lord Halifax - were in favour of a negotiated peace with Germany that preserved the independence of the UK/Commonwealth and the integrity of the Empire.
Would Chamberlain's Government have survived such an attempt? These were the same idiots that had promised "Peace in our times" two years earlier, then had to go to war to a year later. Hard to see them doing another "flip-flop" and getting away without a "vote of confidence".
It is strange but true that Chamberlain still wanted a negotiated settlement in 1940 after what had happened to his worthless piece of paper from Munich. As I said in my last post I don’t believe that Parliament would have accepted a negotiated peace in any case. I believe that any PM who suggested such a negotiated peace would have faced and lost a ‘Vote of No Confidence’ at some point – either during the negotiations themselves or after the terms of the proposed treaty had been put before – and rejected by – the House of Commons.




