Happy Birthday WitP

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
TommyG
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 am
Location: Irvine Ca
Contact:

Happy Birthday WitP

Post by TommyG »

I don't know the exact date it went gold, but seven yesrs ago today I downloaded WitP and have been playing 40 hours or more each week since (my wife says more). Best entertainment bargain ever, and that does not include the time on the forums.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: TommyG

I don't know the exact date it went gold, but seven yesrs ago today I downloaded WitP and have been playing 40 hours or more each week since (my wife says more). Best entertainment bargain ever, and that does not include the time on the forums.
It went Gold a few weeks before I registered on the forums-June 2002. I believe it was first sold at Origins in Ohio, IIRC.
Image
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by Canoerebel »

PoultryLad, you're referring to UV, though, right?  The OP is referring to WitP, which he says came out in 2004 (I thought it was 2005, but my memory is about as good as Dan Uggla's batting average).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by Canoerebel »

On a separate note, I do remember when WitP came out.  I was still dedicated fully to UV and had various matches going on against John III and Miller.  After awhile, John III got ahold of WitP and his UV turns became ever-less frequent.  I became jealous of WitP and secretly wished bad things to happen.
 
In 2005, I finally bought WitP, played about six turns with John III, and quit because it was too involved.  I tried again in 2007.  That time it stuck.  I was fortunate to play John III and Miller in WitP, and now I've played Miller, Q-Ball, and Chez Da Jez in AE.
 
What fun!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
rockmedic109
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Citrus Heights, CA

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by rockmedic109 »

I remember very clearly what year WITP came out. I got married just a few months before it came out. One of the best years in history. I keep telling my wife that on our anniversery with a smile and a faraway look in my eyes.
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by LoBaron »

Well remember when I first launched WitP, and just to see whats there started a grand campaign.

Back then I considered myself a UV vet and could hardly believe there was a game dwarfing the
complexity of that strategy gem by a full order of magnitude.

I spent hours just checking at the different units all over the map and the shiny new options
like range settings on the squadron overview. Was unable to keep my jaw from dropping every
couple of seconds.

I think I never felt so noobishly overwhelmed ever again.
Image
User avatar
mc3744
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:04 pm
Location: Italy

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by mc3744 »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Well remember when I first launched WitP, and just to see whats there started a grand campaign.

Back then I considered myself a UV vet and could hardly believe there was a game dwarfing the
complexity of that strategy gem by a full order of magnitude.

I spent hours just checking at the different units all over the map and the shiny new options
like range settings on the squadron overview. Was unable to keep my jaw from dropping every
couple of seconds.

I think I never felt so noobishly overwhelmed ever again.

Same here! I played a lot of UV PBEM and WitP was just too good to be true.

I've never played any other game a comparable amount of hours. It's certainly the best spent money on entertainment ever.

It's sooo good to know you have a turn in the mailbox waiting, isn't it? Waiting for the whole family to go to sleep and then enjoying a little ... carnage [:D] in the Pacific [;)]
Nec recisa recedit
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by crsutton »

I owned WITP a year before starting a campaign. I was afraid that it would become a total "time suck." It was. And, now I am playing two campaigns of AE and it is.....

I have pretty much given up playing any other of my games. And pretty much given up the idea of painting my house this year..[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
CaptBeefheart
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:42 am
Location: Seoul, Korea

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by CaptBeefheart »

What a bunch of noobs. I see nobody has mentioned Pacific War yet. [;)] It's been almost 20 years since that gem got me started in Pacific theater computer gaming on a grand operational level.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by LoBaron »

This thread is titled "Happy Birthday WitP".

The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa. [:'(]
Image
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by Rainer »

This thread is titled "Happy Birthday WitP".

The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa.

PacWar is the Grandpa of UV/Witp/WitPAE nevertheless [;)]

And I started the PacWar curse in 1988.
NO, I am not a Grandpa [:D]
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Rainer
This thread is titled "Happy Birthday WitP".

The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa.

PacWar is the Grandpa of UV/Witp/WitPAE nevertheless [;)]

And I started the PacWar curse in 1988.
NO, I am not a Grandpa [:D]

Back then there were exactly 3 names I knew about the pacific war: PH, Guadalcanal and Hiroshima. My interest was on the European theatre and there mainly the BoB.
Talonsofts Battle of Britain was my favourite game until I discovered UV, but in ´88 I was still playing things like Bubble Bobble on my C64. [;)]

Getting someone from a country whose navy consists of a single gun boat (erm...misleading term...think of it as a "boat" with a "gun") and a handful of barges addicted to the
most complex naval warfare situations in history is enough of a compliment for UV I guess. Probably PacWar would have had the same effect, who knows.

I only ever heard there was a predecessor of UV until I aready owned the game for 2 years.
Image
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12863
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by Sardaukar »

Got it as Xmas gift 2004. Played Tutorial once and then straight into Grand Campaign! [:D] Never had UV, put did play old PacWar a lot (as well as WiR).
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by Mynok »


Victory Games Pacific War got me into the theater. Now that was a great game I'd love to see remade for the computer. It's operational mechanic was really excellent.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
TommyG
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 am
Location: Irvine Ca
Contact:

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by TommyG »

Lots of nice replies and reminiscing, (I started in the Pacific with Guadalcanal Campaign in 1981), but no one has confirmed when WitP was first available to download. I can't blow out the candles on my WitP cake until I know I got the birthday right.
rockmedic109
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Citrus Heights, CA

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

This thread is titled "Happy Birthday WitP".

The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa. [:'(]
Be careful lest someone accuse you of elder abuse!
Mac Linehan
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Denver Colorado

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: TommyG

Lots of nice replies and reminiscing, (I started in the Pacific with Guadalcanal Campaign in 1981), but no one has confirmed when WitP was first available to download. I can't blow out the candles on my WitP cake until I know I got the birthday right.

TommyG -

I ordered WitP in 2004, upon release (IIRC), and attempting to download the game over a dial up connection, it would download for about 12 or so hours then loose the connection. After multiple attempts, I gave up and waited (impatiently) for the CD to arrive.

What an awesome game!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by ilovestrategy »

Ahhhhhhh the dial up days. I remember trying to download Quake in the 90s. I never succeeded.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by Raverdave »

Well being one of the Beta testers (Grin)I had my hands in it somewhat earlier than most of you, and after all of these years I still get a tingle when I load up for my next PBEM. There are still a number of us Beta testers around from teh original WiTP but it looks nothing like  the current WiTPAE in comparisson to playability and looks........remember the old map?

I came from Steel Panthers/Harpoon to UV and the rest is history.
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
mc3744
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:04 pm
Location: Italy

RE: Happy Birthday WitP

Post by mc3744 »

I was a Steel Panther - Harpoon player too!!
Whatever happened to Harpoon? Never reallymanaged to evolve.
Could have been modern time WitP
Nec recisa recedit
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”