Happy Birthday WitP
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
Happy Birthday WitP
I don't know the exact date it went gold, but seven yesrs ago today I downloaded WitP and have been playing 40 hours or more each week since (my wife says more). Best entertainment bargain ever, and that does not include the time on the forums.
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
It went Gold a few weeks before I registered on the forums-June 2002. I believe it was first sold at Origins in Ohio, IIRC.ORIGINAL: TommyG
I don't know the exact date it went gold, but seven yesrs ago today I downloaded WitP and have been playing 40 hours or more each week since (my wife says more). Best entertainment bargain ever, and that does not include the time on the forums.

- Canoerebel
- Posts: 21099
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
- Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
- Contact:
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
PoultryLad, you're referring to UV, though, right? The OP is referring to WitP, which he says came out in 2004 (I thought it was 2005, but my memory is about as good as Dan Uggla's batting average).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
- Canoerebel
- Posts: 21099
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
- Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
- Contact:
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
On a separate note, I do remember when WitP came out. I was still dedicated fully to UV and had various matches going on against John III and Miller. After awhile, John III got ahold of WitP and his UV turns became ever-less frequent. I became jealous of WitP and secretly wished bad things to happen.
In 2005, I finally bought WitP, played about six turns with John III, and quit because it was too involved. I tried again in 2007. That time it stuck. I was fortunate to play John III and Miller in WitP, and now I've played Miller, Q-Ball, and Chez Da Jez in AE.
What fun!
In 2005, I finally bought WitP, played about six turns with John III, and quit because it was too involved. I tried again in 2007. That time it stuck. I was fortunate to play John III and Miller in WitP, and now I've played Miller, Q-Ball, and Chez Da Jez in AE.
What fun!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
-
rockmedic109
- Posts: 2471
- Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
- Location: Citrus Heights, CA
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
I remember very clearly what year WITP came out. I got married just a few months before it came out. One of the best years in history. I keep telling my wife that on our anniversery with a smile and a faraway look in my eyes.
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
Well remember when I first launched WitP, and just to see whats there started a grand campaign.
Back then I considered myself a UV vet and could hardly believe there was a game dwarfing the
complexity of that strategy gem by a full order of magnitude.
I spent hours just checking at the different units all over the map and the shiny new options
like range settings on the squadron overview. Was unable to keep my jaw from dropping every
couple of seconds.
I think I never felt so noobishly overwhelmed ever again.
Back then I considered myself a UV vet and could hardly believe there was a game dwarfing the
complexity of that strategy gem by a full order of magnitude.
I spent hours just checking at the different units all over the map and the shiny new options
like range settings on the squadron overview. Was unable to keep my jaw from dropping every
couple of seconds.
I think I never felt so noobishly overwhelmed ever again.

RE: Happy Birthday WitP
ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Well remember when I first launched WitP, and just to see whats there started a grand campaign.
Back then I considered myself a UV vet and could hardly believe there was a game dwarfing the
complexity of that strategy gem by a full order of magnitude.
I spent hours just checking at the different units all over the map and the shiny new options
like range settings on the squadron overview. Was unable to keep my jaw from dropping every
couple of seconds.
I think I never felt so noobishly overwhelmed ever again.
Same here! I played a lot of UV PBEM and WitP was just too good to be true.
I've never played any other game a comparable amount of hours. It's certainly the best spent money on entertainment ever.
It's sooo good to know you have a turn in the mailbox waiting, isn't it? Waiting for the whole family to go to sleep and then enjoying a little ... carnage [:D] in the Pacific [;)]
Nec recisa recedit
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
I owned WITP a year before starting a campaign. I was afraid that it would become a total "time suck." It was. And, now I am playing two campaigns of AE and it is.....
I have pretty much given up playing any other of my games. And pretty much given up the idea of painting my house this year..[;)]
I have pretty much given up playing any other of my games. And pretty much given up the idea of painting my house this year..[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.
Sigismund of Luxemburg
Sigismund of Luxemburg
- CaptBeefheart
- Posts: 2627
- Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:42 am
- Location: Seoul, Korea
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
What a bunch of noobs. I see nobody has mentioned Pacific War yet. [;)] It's been almost 20 years since that gem got me started in Pacific theater computer gaming on a grand operational level.
Cheers,
CC
Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
This thread is titled "Happy Birthday WitP".
The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa. [:'(]
The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa. [:'(]

RE: Happy Birthday WitP
This thread is titled "Happy Birthday WitP".
The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa.
PacWar is the Grandpa of UV/Witp/WitPAE nevertheless [;)]
And I started the PacWar curse in 1988.
NO, I am not a Grandpa [:D]
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid
WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid
WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
ORIGINAL: Rainer
This thread is titled "Happy Birthday WitP".
The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa.
PacWar is the Grandpa of UV/Witp/WitPAE nevertheless [;)]
And I started the PacWar curse in 1988.
NO, I am not a Grandpa [:D]
Back then there were exactly 3 names I knew about the pacific war: PH, Guadalcanal and Hiroshima. My interest was on the European theatre and there mainly the BoB.
Talonsofts Battle of Britain was my favourite game until I discovered UV, but in ´88 I was still playing things like Bubble Bobble on my C64. [;)]
Getting someone from a country whose navy consists of a single gun boat (erm...misleading term...think of it as a "boat" with a "gun") and a handful of barges addicted to the
most complex naval warfare situations in history is enough of a compliment for UV I guess. Probably PacWar would have had the same effect, who knows.
I only ever heard there was a predecessor of UV until I aready owned the game for 2 years.

RE: Happy Birthday WitP
Got it as Xmas gift 2004. Played Tutorial once and then straight into Grand Campaign! [:D] Never had UV, put did play old PacWar a lot (as well as WiR).
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-


RE: Happy Birthday WitP
Victory Games Pacific War got me into the theater. Now that was a great game I'd love to see remade for the computer. It's operational mechanic was really excellent.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
Lots of nice replies and reminiscing, (I started in the Pacific with Guadalcanal Campaign in 1981), but no one has confirmed when WitP was first available to download. I can't blow out the candles on my WitP cake until I know I got the birthday right.
-
rockmedic109
- Posts: 2471
- Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
- Location: Citrus Heights, CA
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
Be careful lest someone accuse you of elder abuse!ORIGINAL: LoBaron
This thread is titled "Happy Birthday WitP".
The Geezer thread is over in the war room, grandpa. [:'(]
-
Mac Linehan
- Posts: 1519
- Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:08 pm
- Location: Denver Colorado
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
ORIGINAL: TommyG
Lots of nice replies and reminiscing, (I started in the Pacific with Guadalcanal Campaign in 1981), but no one has confirmed when WitP was first available to download. I can't blow out the candles on my WitP cake until I know I got the birthday right.
TommyG -
I ordered WitP in 2004, upon release (IIRC), and attempting to download the game over a dial up connection, it would download for about 12 or so hours then loose the connection. After multiple attempts, I gave up and waited (impatiently) for the CD to arrive.
What an awesome game!
Mac
LAV-25 2147
- ilovestrategy
- Posts: 3614
- Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
Ahhhhhhh the dial up days. I remember trying to download Quake in the 90s. I never succeeded.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

RE: Happy Birthday WitP
Well being one of the Beta testers (Grin)I had my hands in it somewhat earlier than most of you, and after all of these years I still get a tingle when I load up for my next PBEM. There are still a number of us Beta testers around from teh original WiTP but it looks nothing like the current WiTPAE in comparisson to playability and looks........remember the old map?
I came from Steel Panthers/Harpoon to UV and the rest is history.
I came from Steel Panthers/Harpoon to UV and the rest is history.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RE: Happy Birthday WitP
I was a Steel Panther - Harpoon player too!!
Whatever happened to Harpoon? Never reallymanaged to evolve.
Could have been modern time WitP
Whatever happened to Harpoon? Never reallymanaged to evolve.
Could have been modern time WitP
Nec recisa recedit










