So any news, hints, teasers...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Shark7 »

For the next beta? I'm curious (as usual).
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
LiquidSky
Posts: 2834
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:28 am

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by LiquidSky »



3d holographics. Ansible connections to real time fleets. Beer.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39786
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Erik Rutins »

We may yet manage to release the next beta tomorrow. If not then very early next week.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
Whydmer
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:16 pm

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Whydmer »

Woot! Birthday Beta Present!
User avatar
Igard
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 am
Location: Scotland

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Igard »

Great news.

And happy birthday, Whydmer. [:)]
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Shark7 »

Now that is what I call a teaser! [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
jpwrunyan
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Uranus
Contact:

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by jpwrunyan »

Looking forward to the beer feature.
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39786
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

Looks like it will be next week, but among other tweaks and fixes this will include support for the externalized designs that the AI will also use preferentially and optimized AI design and research choices.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Looks like it will be next week, but among other tweaks and fixes this will include support for the externalized designs that the AI will also use preferentially and optimized AI design and research choices.

Regards,

- Erik


Yes! Now that is an update I am looking forward to.

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
Nedrear
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:43 pm

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Nedrear »

Just so I cope with this language... does externalized designs mean we can "pre-design" our own ship plans for races? My Galactic War II mod would become a nightmare... in work and in battle.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
User avatar
Igard
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 am
Location: Scotland

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Igard »

Sounds like it Nedrear. It's gonna be alot of work to design for each and every ship role, but I think it's a welcome feature.

However, there a couple of modding features that I'd like to see introduced more than anything right now.

1. Ability to assign random character stats by placing a '?' or similar symbol in place of the integer. Allow us to still enter the data ourselves as it currently is.

2. A toggle for each race as to whether they will start in their home system. The one that we specified in the race text files.

I don't think these 2 ideas would be too hard to implement and would go a long way to improving our mods.

Cheers for the hard work guys. Looking forward to the next patch!! [:)]
User avatar
Shadow Tiger
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:12 am

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Shadow Tiger »

Externalized and optimized designs, this sounds promising. If there was a way to exclude/include component types on different designs that would be fantastic. Rail guns instead of maxxo blasters on military ships, no weapons on private ships, no area weapons on every default starport.

Just picked up the game last weekend and I'm loving it. But I also wish I didn't have to keep every ship design on manual just to keep them from adding things I don't want.
Speedy2511
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 am

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Speedy2511 »

Yeah! Keep it up Erik!!!!
Falokis
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 8:03 pm

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Falokis »

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

Just so I cope with this language... does externalized designs mean we can "pre-design" our own ship plans for races? My Galactic War II mod would become a nightmare... in work and in battle.
If this is the case, it would be a big step in a good direction.
User avatar
Nedrear
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:43 pm

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Nedrear »

Well Igard you forget our point three in that list: Picture groups to randomly choose through a command like folder__commanders a picture for the character and default character group pictures.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
morelyn
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:59 pm

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by morelyn »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

..and optimized AI design and research choices.

This part is intriguing. Perhaps there will be less need for us to design our own ships in the first place...and (dare I hope) no more AI researching Area Effect weapons first thing? [:'(]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

Just so I cope with this language... does externalized designs mean we can "pre-design" our own ship plans for races? My Galactic War II mod would become a nightmare... in work and in battle.

Yep, 'stand alone' is another way to look at it.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Morelyn

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

..and optimized AI design and research choices.

This part is intriguing. Perhaps there will be less need for us to design our own ships in the first place...and (dare I hope) no more AI researching Area Effect weapons first thing? [:'(]

I'm really looking forward to that part. I can design the basic ship building philosophy of each race, and the AI can then take care of it, unlike current where I feel the need to be in complete control of ship design.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
onomastikon
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:28 am

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by onomastikon »

What about just a "mark this component as obsolete" box in the design screen? I don't think I would need anything else...!
User avatar
jpwrunyan
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Uranus
Contact:

RE: So any news, hints, teasers...

Post by jpwrunyan »

I know its the cool thing to do nowadays to hate on the area weapons but I actually think they are fine. Area weapons are a crutial part of my strategy. Sometimes the first weapon I research. I dont think any change is necessary in this regard.
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”