ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Betties/Nells have an Achilles heel - they have much longer range than their escorting fighters and without the fighters, they are dead meat against 1943 Allied fighters. I have had invasion TFs in range of Netties attacked by three raids of between 15 and 30 each - only one torp hit scored on an xAK while about 60 Netties became submarines. [:D] Escort carriers provided the CAP.
Do you have any place where you can invade outside his fighter range? You would also have to know where all the IJN CVs and CVLs are.
That sounds promising for the future. I have been able to nick one or two for him. They seem to last about 2 seconds vs. Fighters! [:)] I can´t imagine any place on the map that would be outside his Aircover. If it is he can probably move in fighters in a turn or two!
ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols
....I hope this helps you Jocke.
It certainly does! Thank you for taking the time to help out. Glad you decided not to completely abandon the forum!
[:)]
I will continue to do small island hoppings in Caledonia as you suggest. I might as well as I´m not doing anything else. Torres should be built up in about 2 weeks!
I have tried once before to move on Carnarvon. Problem is that he has almost 50.000 soldiers there. So I send 2 OZ divisions and an american one. But once I got past 4-5 hexes supply started being an issue. He sent BB in to bombard and that certainly didn´t help with supply.
But I will try again. This time I will add a lot more forces to the endeavour. I have closed the AFs before without too much of a problem so it can be done again. I will also send 50 P38s to the area backed up by 18 Hellcats.
I will also commit surface forces this time around. If I can close the AFs I don´t need to fear LBA and if he moves any Carrier forces thats only good news. A squadron of Cats will make sure he can´t jump me. 28 TBs will also move to Geraldtown.
I still havn´t abandoned the idea of doing a PM landing. I will move the forces into position but hold for now. If I had open ocean to hide in I would certainly go for it. But I´m really afraid to get my APAs/AKAs boxed in against the coast and then sunk. I have seen the KB just slither through twice the CAP without hardly taken any losses two times now. So even with a 300 plane CAP to hide under in a port I´m sure he could get to them.
I´m going to start moving some expendable shipping around in the area just to get him used to stuff moving around.