UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

User avatar
Hellfirejet
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Fife Scotland
Contact:

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Hellfirejet »

What do you guys think about Cruiser's now having limited bombardment capability ?
Make it so!
bob.
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 am

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by bob. »

Didn't have a big impact for me. The AI is so terrible at using its naval forces, it doesn't matter and I only harassed some Serbians along the coast with my cruiser. But I don't see why it would be a bad change so I'll just say I like it!

By the way, how's your mod coming along?
User avatar
Hellfirejet
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Fife Scotland
Contact:

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Hellfirejet »

The naval AI is in the pipeline,to be overhauled for the next patch,I'm working behind the scenes with the software wiz kid,on fixing a number of AI decision making & Tactical improvements watch this space.[;)]

As for my massive mod, it has been put to the side for the time being,I have been much too busy trying to get this patch out before xmas,but the mod will be ready to play early in the new year.[:D]
Make it so!
User avatar
Dorb
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Ohio

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Dorb »

Take your time, with all the other update/patches that were just released by Matrix, we should be good for awhile. [;)]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
User avatar
catwhoorg
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Location: Uk expat lving near Atlanta

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by catwhoorg »

I quite liked the cruiser bombardment. Gave them a use rather than sitting idle. Used more in the med than anywhere else.
Image
suprass81
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 am

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by suprass81 »

Do I can ocuppy cities with small garrisons with my stronger units. I can't disband them and can't switch with other units... Maybee there should be a possibility to disband them...
bob.
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 am

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by bob. »

ORIGINAL: suprass81

Do I can ocuppy cities with small garrisons with my stronger units. I can't disband them and can't switch with other units... Maybee there should be a possibility to disband them...

Yeah, I also found that annoying. If this is a deliberate decision I would suggest to rethink it as I don't see any reason why it should be the case.
User avatar
Hellfirejet
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Fife Scotland
Contact:

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Hellfirejet »

Small Garrison are a freebie in game,they cost nothing in Production Points,they cost nothing in manpower,they cost nothing in upkeep,you don't need to build them,they are already in situe protecting your behind the lines cities, they are stronger in defense than every other land unit apart from Infantry.They don't interfere with Capital city or port city deployments.They are designed as a static defense in what were previously undefended cities,that would have required the gamer to build new units to protect these undefended cities.If they cost you no Production points,manpower or upkeep in the first place, how can you expect to recoup something that cost you nothing by disbanding them.
Make it so!
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: bob.
ORIGINAL: suprass81

Do I can ocuppy cities with small garrisons with my stronger units. I can't disband them and can't switch with other units... Maybee there should be a possibility to disband them...

Yeah, I also found that annoying. If this is a deliberate decision I would suggest to rethink it as I don't see any reason why it should be the case.
warspite1

That's not clever is it?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
Hellfirejet
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Fife Scotland
Contact:

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Hellfirejet »

Well I think it is clever![:@]

They were designed from scratch, to represent your Countries older population, who are to old for front line duties, think of them as Home Guard / Militia protecting there own City. That is why they have no movement, they are protecting there own City!!
Make it so!
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Well I think it is clever![:@]

They were designed from scratch, to represent your Countries older population, who are to old for front line duties, think of them as Home Guard / Militia protecting there own City. That is why they have no movement, they are protecting there own City!!
warspite1

Easy tiger!

I know what they were designed for and they are a useful addition to the game. What is not clever is that when you want to desperately hold on to an important city (which you can do ordinarily by putting better quality units in and/or cycling units to ensure a full strength garrison is maintained) you can't. If I have read this right, you just sit there and wait for the unit (and the city) to be taken....

Sorry, but imo, that element is not very clever.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Well I think it is clever![:@]

They were designed from scratch, to represent your Countries older population, who are to old for front line duties, think of them as Home Guard / Militia protecting there own City. That is why they have no movement, they are protecting there own City!!
warspite1

Easy tiger!

I know what they were designed for and they are a useful addition to the game. What is not clever is that when you want to desperately hold on to an important city (which you can do ordinarily by putting better quality units in and/or cycling units to ensure a full strength garrison is maintained) you can't. If I have read this right, you just sit there and wait for the unit (and the city) to be taken....

Sorry, but imo, that element is not very clever.
warspite1

A fix could be this. These units cannot move or be disbanded BUT they can be "improved" by paying PP to upgrade them to a Garrison or Infantry unit - effectively representing reinforcing a key city when about to be attacked.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
suprass81
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 am

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by suprass81 »

Simply- disband option without any resources back... If there is no way to defend cities by other stronger units I would like there be no small garrisons...
The idea is good but only with disband option or some kind of upgrade like Warspite1 said...
User avatar
operating
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Well I think it is clever![:@]

They were designed from scratch, to represent your Countries older population, who are to old for front line duties, think of them as Home Guard / Militia protecting there own City. That is why they have no movement, they are protecting there own City!!
warspite1

Easy tiger!

I know what they were designed for and they are a useful addition to the game. What is not clever is that when you want to desperately hold on to an important city (which you can do ordinarily by putting better quality units in and/or cycling units to ensure a full strength garrison is maintained) you can't. If I have read this right, you just sit there and wait for the unit (and the city) to be taken....

Sorry, but imo, that element is not very clever.
warspite1

A fix could be this. These units cannot move or be disbanded BUT they can be "improved" by paying PP to upgrade them to a Garrison or Infantry unit - effectively representing reinforcing a key city when about to be attacked.

Feel as though small garrison is going to be a PITA, if it cannot step aside to let other units occupy city hex. Placing fighters or artillery there comes to mind. Been out of the loop for a while cause my PC died. Have not tried playing on this new PC yet with 1.40, but would small garrisons interfere with troop transports embarking/disembarking?
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
bob.
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 am

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by bob. »

Kirk, I wasn't asking to disband them for a gain, just without any gain at all in order to make room for another unit. I understand that disbanding them for any kind of PP or MP gain would make no sense.
What I meant was that I see no reason why they should not be able to be disbanded in general, other than if there is a technical problem making them disbandable without any benefits.
User avatar
Hellfirejet
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Fife Scotland
Contact:

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Hellfirejet »

Small Garrison do not interfere with troop transports Embarking / Disembarking.
Make it so!
User avatar
Hellfirejet
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Fife Scotland
Contact:

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Hellfirejet »

Ok I give in, I will give them movement that way you can have full control over them,move them out of cities do what you like with them.
Make it so!
User avatar
Hellfirejet
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Fife Scotland
Contact:

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Hellfirejet »

I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time, I stupidly thought I could help improve this game,not only have I wasted months of my life,I have neglected my wife in the process, by spending countless hours playing this thing.
Make it so!
User avatar
operating
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time, I stupidly thought I could help improve this game,not only have I wasted months of my life,I have neglected my wife in the process, by spending countless hours playing this thing.I'm not about to waste any more time I'm out off here I've had enough!

Your ideas are "Absolutely creditable", weather the storm as to how small garrisons effect the game, (take a break), Stand pat with what has been accomplished to date, it has been nothing short of a good faith effort, that everyone in the world get's to enjoy. You should get some satisfaction in "that". For one----Thank you....
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
User avatar
Wolfe1759
Posts: 798
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:34 pm
Location: Shropshire, UK

RE: UPDATE ON NEW PATCH.

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Firstly - Kirk thanks for all the work and the improvements in this patch. I've only been playing CTGW for a few weeks and I like the developments that have been made.

However - Small Garrisons, good idea but they might not be working quite right, this is a Beta after all. My preference, keep them immobile but make them disbandable, probably at no PP gain for the player. I don't know what balance or AI implications this would have so I'll leave that to more knowledgeable minds.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Post Reply

Return to “Commander - The Great War”