OT Pet Peeves

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Kansas = people of the south wind
soojan

....and bowler hat man man of bad wind. Danlongmanman not friends with bowler hat man. I like danlongmanman they are my friend.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by geofflambert »

I know you Brits still have lots of blokes in bowlers laying big stinky farts wherever they go and I don't care how long Dan's manhood is, just keep it quiet.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by geofflambert »

Here's another peeve. Will you Brits please keep your term "boffins" on your side of the Atlantic? We have scientists, you have boffins.

User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by warspite1 »

You're upset because of the word boffin?

Think about it from our point of view!

- Can I get a coffee to go? [:@][:@]

- I could care less [:@]

- My bad [:@][:@]

- You do the math [:@]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by geofflambert »

Yes I know, it's "may I please sir have some more gruel?" Keep your gruel on your side of the Atlantic too.

The rest is from an incorrigible younger generation or two. Can't do anything with them. We also like to use the prefix 'irr' to create double-negatives.

User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

You're upset because of the word boffin?

Think about it from our point of view!

- Can I get a coffee to go? [:@][:@]

- I could care less [:@]

- My bad [:@][:@]

- You do the math [:@]
I see you're an optimist! [:D]
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: warspite1

You're upset because of the word boffin?

Think about it from our point of view!

- Can I get a coffee to go? [:@][:@]

- I could care less [:@]

- My bad [:@][:@]

- You do the math [:@]
I see you're an optimist! [:D]
warspite1

Optimist? Is that like another word for a miserable old git? [8D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: warspite1

You're upset because of the word boffin?

Think about it from our point of view!

- Can I get a coffee to go? [:@][:@]

- I could care less [:@]

- My bad [:@][:@]

- You do the math [:@]
I see you're an optimist! [:D]
warspite1

Optimist? Is that like another word for a miserable old git? [8D]
Yes, basically I think that describes us! [:D]
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: witpqs



I see you're an optimist! [:D]
warspite1

Optimist? Is that like another word for a miserable old git? [8D]
Yes, basically I think that describes us! [:D]
warspite1

Sadly, I still remember the very first time I came across the hideous "My Bad".

It was in Civilisation - III I think - and one of the World Leaders said "My Bad". I just stared at the screen really, really annoyed that the game makers had let such a silly error go unnoticed....I mean how could they not spot they had missed off half the sentence?

It was only a short while later that I realised, from someone at work saying it, that that is an actual saying. My Bad... my bad.....my bad... I'm getting angry just writing that $%^&! [:D]


Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by warspite1 »

....and while I'm on one (this is a good idea for a thread [:)]), perhaps someone can answer me this?

Who decided one day that saying "I could care less" (which of course doesn't make sense in the context of the sentence they are using it in and what they actually mean) was a sensible thing to say? I mean how in the name of Bonaparte's Balls did that catch on?

I mean its real simple. "I couldn't care less". I just don't care, it is of no importance whatsoever. So if one wishes to convey that very meaning but they say "I could care less" then don't they realise they are talking sloblocks? I mean come on, you do the math

Image
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (8 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
desicat
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 8:10 pm

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by desicat »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

....and while I'm on one (this is a good idea for a thread [:)]), perhaps someone can answer me this?

Who decided one day that saying "I could care less" (which of course doesn't make sense in the context of the sentence they are using it in and what they actually mean) was a sensible thing to say? I mean how in the name of Bonaparte's Balls did that catch on?

I mean its real simple. "I couldn't care less". I just don't care, it is of no importance whatsoever. So if one wishes to convey that very meaning but they say "I could care less" then don't they realise they are talking sloblocks? I mean come on, you do the math

Image

The same guy who created flammable and inflammable.
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: desicat

ORIGINAL: warspite1

....and while I'm on one (this is a good idea for a thread [:)]), perhaps someone can answer me this?

Who decided one day that saying "I could care less" (which of course doesn't make sense in the context of the sentence they are using it in and what they actually mean) was a sensible thing to say? I mean how in the name of Bonaparte's Balls did that catch on?

I mean its real simple. "I couldn't care less". I just don't care, it is of no importance whatsoever. So if one wishes to convey that very meaning but they say "I could care less" then don't they realise they are talking sloblocks? I mean come on, you do the math

Image

The same guy who created flammable and inflammable.
Found that one out the hard way, did ya?! [:D]
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

....and while I'm on one (this is a good idea for a thread [:)]), perhaps someone can answer me this?

Who decided one day that saying "I could care less" (which of course doesn't make sense in the context of the sentence they are using it in and what they actually mean) was a sensible thing to say? I mean how in the name of Bonaparte's Balls did that catch on?

I mean its real simple. "I couldn't care less". I just don't care, it is of no importance whatsoever. So if one wishes to convey that very meaning but they say "I could care less" then don't they realise they are talking sloblocks? I mean come on, you do the math

Image
Sometime, somebody (or a thousand somebodies at some times) misheard "I couldn't care less." I think that's how a lot of sayings get morphed over time. Remember how hard it was to understand rock 'n roll lyrics on the radio? Even on an album (on whatever media)? I heard a great story on a podcast about the group America and their song Ventura Highway. Now, honestly, back in high school and for many years afterward I didn't know that the song was called Ventura Highway. I didn't even know that there was a Ventura Highway. The best I could do, after years of hearing the song, mind you, was "venture a highway" as a metaphor for take a chance/journey or something. But this story is much, much better. The story was told by a guy also in the entertainment business who met and was having some drinks with a couple of members of the band many years later. Lots of well known groups do private functions. Far more often than just the ones you hear about where some mega-rich person hires a super popular group for some private event. And the group America did plenty of them as well.

So America was hired to play at this couple's wedding. They just loved the group's music. Everything was going great, and at one point the happy couple approached the band and made a special request. You see, one of the group's songs is their song. Their special song, like many couples have. And theirs is Chair on a Highway. Now you know that many performers would have been upset. Some would have gone ballistic, maybe smashed their guitars and stormed off (down Ventura Highway!), but the guys of America are just nice people. And as the band members related, the couple was so nice and it was their special day, and... so they sang "chair on a highway" while the newlyweds danced to their special song. [:D]

Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: warspite1


warspite1

Optimist? Is that like another word for a miserable old git? [8D]
Yes, basically I think that describes us! [:D]
warspite1

Sadly, I still remember the very first time I came across the hideous "My Bad".

It was in Civilisation - III I think - and one of the World Leaders said "My Bad". I just stared at the screen really, really annoyed that the game makers had let such a silly error go unnoticed....I mean how could they not spot they had missed off half the sentence?

It was only a short while later that I realised, from someone at work saying it, that that is an actual saying. My Bad... my bad.....my bad... I'm getting angry just writing that $%^&! [:D]


Over here, 'My bad' is attributed to the late Sudanese basketball player Manute Bol, whose English wasn't the best. He was a very nice person and would apologize for his mistakes on the court.
User avatar
Feltan
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:47 am
Location: Kansas

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

... I mean how in the name of Bonaparte's Balls did that catch on? ...

Making a comparison to French testicles is probably against forum rules and etiquette. If not, I vote that it should be.

What a horrible visual that creates!

Oh .... wait a minute .... that's right, I couldn't care less!

Regards,
Feltan
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: desicat

ORIGINAL: warspite1

....and while I'm on one (this is a good idea for a thread [:)]), perhaps someone can answer me this?

Who decided one day that saying "I could care less" (which of course doesn't make sense in the context of the sentence they are using it in and what they actually mean) was a sensible thing to say? I mean how in the name of Bonaparte's Balls did that catch on?

I mean its real simple. "I couldn't care less". I just don't care, it is of no importance whatsoever. So if one wishes to convey that very meaning but they say "I could care less" then don't they realise they are talking sloblocks? I mean come on, you do the math

Image

The same guy who created flammable and inflammable.
Found that one out the hard way, did ya?! [:D]


Don't tell me there's warning stickers saying "Danger Inflammable" as well as "Danger Flammable"? I can't remember, is it i before e after c or... WTF just light the match [:D]

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: witpqs



So America was hired to play at this couple's wedding. They just loved the group's music. Everything was going great, and at one point the happy couple approached the band and made a special request. You see, one of the group's songs is their song. Their special song, like many couples have. And theirs is Chair on a Highway. Now you know that many performers would have been upset. Some would have gone ballistic, maybe smashed their guitars and stormed off (down Ventura Highway!), but the guys of America are just nice people. And as the band members related, the couple was so nice and it was their special day, and... so they sang "chair on a highway" while the newlyweds danced to their special song. [:D]


Do you remember that commercial (over here on the left bank of the Atlantic) that had that rock climber climbing something she probably shouldn't have, but this song lyric breaks out "Nobody likes potatoes.." That's what it sounded like to me. It was supposed to be "Somebody left the gate open..."

Be honest, how many of us didn't misunderstand lyrics from our former days?

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by geofflambert »

I don't remember who, somebody said in regards to opera (something like:) something that is too ridiculous to say is not too ridiculous to sing.

User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: witpqs



So America was hired to play at this couple's wedding. They just loved the group's music. Everything was going great, and at one point the happy couple approached the band and made a special request. You see, one of the group's songs is their song. Their special song, like many couples have. And theirs is Chair on a Highway. Now you know that many performers would have been upset. Some would have gone ballistic, maybe smashed their guitars and stormed off (down Ventura Highway!), but the guys of America are just nice people. And as the band members related, the couple was so nice and it was their special day, and... so they sang "chair on a highway" while the newlyweds danced to their special song. [:D]


Be honest, how many of us didn't misunderstand lyrics from our former days?
warspite1

Well this man did.

An advert for tapes(!) back in the 80's.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAsmf1LGcpA
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Pet Peeves

Post by geofflambert »

The problem comes up when they stop singing and start shouting. Some people like shouting.

Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”