OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Let's face it, once Hollywood discovered there was money to be made in the franchise, they seized creative control and focused on the computer graphics explosions and stuff instead of characters and plot.

But I liked "The Voyage Home" thanks to some great lines like Chekov's "Take me to the nuclear wessels." And Scottie's muttering "Primitive technology" as he cracks his knuckles before using a keyboard at extreme speed to make the transparent aluminum formula. And who doesn't love whales?

Star Trek IV (the one you cite) was good for its campy humor and good story line. The 'save the whales' mantra was overplayed, IMO.

I think the disparity in the quality of the Star Trek movies has much more to do with screenwriting, acting and directing than profitability. Who *doesn't* want to make money from their movies? If they can make money from dramatic appeal or introspective science fiction rather than graphics explosions and stuff, then that works too.

I couldn't tell you which movie had better special effects: Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan or Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. But I *can* tell you which movie set my teeth on edge more with poor screenwriting and a boring plotline. Hint: NOT Wrath of Khan.
Besides, Ricardo Montalban was awesome!
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.

One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.

Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]

Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.
I liked both of those movies. They still add to the "heading for Earth..." count. Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.

Very surprised First Contact seemed to get negative vibes on that list you linked to.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.

One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.

Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]

Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.
I liked both of those movies. They still add to the "heading for Earth..." count. Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.

Very surprised First Contact seemed to get negative vibes on that list you linked to.

First Contact
rated the best movie with the Next Generation cast. I concur. I disagreed with their rating of Insurrection as the poorest in the franchise. With the ST:TNG crew, that dubious disctinction falls squarely on Nemesis.

In turn, Nemesis ranks second to last in my book. Star Trek V nearly put me off of Star Trek altogether. It was an unmitigated dumpster fire. Guess who directed it? [:D]
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.

Here's a cheat sheet. [:D]

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment ... ?a=viewall

Don't forget the 18 times that Enterprise was destroyed in "Cause and Effect" (ST:TNG).
Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy



One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.

Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]

Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.
I liked both of those movies. They still add to the "heading for Earth..." count. Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.

Very surprised First Contact seemed to get negative vibes on that list you linked to.

First Contact
rated the best movie with the Next Generation cast. I concur. I disagreed with their rating of Insurrection as the poorest in the franchise. With the ST:TNG crew, that dubious disctinction falls squarely on Nemesis.

In turn, Nemesis ranks second to last in my book. Star Trek V nearly put me off of Star Trek altogether. It was an unmitigated dumpster fire. Guess who directed it? [:D]
Guessing: Shatner?

Watching Insurrection I nearly chewed off my own leg to get away. Nemesis, not so bad as that.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Guessing: Shatner?

Ding ding ding! [8D]

Was it the 'talking back to God' that gave it away? Who would have the temerity to do that? [:D]
Watching Insurrection I nearly chewed off my own leg to get away. Nemesis, not so bad as that.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I kept hoping for the predator ship in Nemesis to blast the Enterprise to pieces so I wouldn't have to watch any more of the insipid and tired acting. It was obvious that Patrick Stewart et.al. had moved on from their roles in the movie series. Their heart just wasn't in it any more.

I'm grateful to the reboot for salvaging this franchise. Without the reboots, I think it would have petered out after Nemesis and the flagging Enterprise series.
Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
Guessing: Shatner?

Ding ding ding! [8D]

Was it the 'talking back to God' that gave it away? Who would have the temerity to do that? [:D]
Monty Python! [:D]
Watching Insurrection I nearly chewed off my own leg to get away. Nemesis, not so bad as that.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I kept hoping for the predator ship in Nemesis to blast the Enterprise to pieces so I wouldn't have to watch any more of the insipid and tired acting. It was obvious that Patrick Stewart et.al. had moved on from their roles in the movie series. Their heart just wasn't in it any more.
It wasn't great, I just think it was as bad as many made it out to be. For me it wasn't a let down from TNG because TNG was... oh, we covered that already. [:D]

I'm grateful to the reboot for salvaging this franchise. Without the reboots, I think it would have petered out after Nemesis and the flagging Enterprise series.
I've only seen part of the first season of Enterprise so far. Missed it totally on first runs.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
It wasn't great, I just think it was as bad as many made it out to be.


I *didn't* fix this for you. [;)]
Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: witpqs
It wasn't great, I just think it wasn't as bad as many made it out to be.


I *didn't* fix this for you. [;)]

Fixed!

Image
Attachments
Raspberry.gif
Raspberry.gif (6.82 KiB) Viewed 416 times
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20761
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.

One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.

Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]

Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.
Well you spelled 'principle' correctly, but you should have used 'principal'. [:-]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

Some information for you BBfanboy. [:)]

Image
Attachments
GrammarNazi.jpg
GrammarNazi.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by witpqs »

But that wasn't a grammar comment... [:'(]
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20761
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Some information for you BBfanboy. [:)]

Image
OOOO - a man with a cool brown shirt - just like Boy Scouts of America!
Can I get the armband with a different logo >>>>
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

But that wasn't a grammar comment... [:'(]

I couldn't find the Rudolf Hess meme as a spelling nazi, so it will have to do.

Image
Attachments
Oldermeme.jpg
Oldermeme.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Can I get the armband with a different logo >>>>


Image
Attachments
14717057_1..289505_n.jpg
14717057_1..289505_n.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Image
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

All those movies are utter crap because I'm not in them. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I got a regular paycheck from Paramount? I mean, the residuals are nice but I'm just twiddling my thumbs here. I'm doing all the stretches and excersises to be ready to launch styrofoam boulders anywhere. I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.


Image
Attachments
jamieh.gif
jamieh.gif (489.9 KiB) Viewed 416 times

Will_L_OLD
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 4:15 pm
Location: NYC-Queens

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Will_L_OLD »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

All those movies are utter crap because I'm not in them. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I got a regular paycheck from Paramount? I mean, the residuals are nice but I'm just twiddling my thumbs here. I'm doing all the stretches and excersises to be ready to launch styrofoam boulders anywhere. I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.


Image

Didn't you have a cameo in Ted 2?
I could swear that was you thrashing someone in the comic-con fight scene.
EDIT: quoted because... well it should be obvious ;-)
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

That was my sinister twin brother, I think. I have no idea what you're talking about, so that's just my best guess. You know, my evil twin actually likes Kirk and gets along with him fine. If I could catch him, well that would be the end of him.

I'm suspecting you are one of his compatriots since you have not remarked on how much you would like JLC to dance over your face.

Don't talk to me about yogurt or whatever she appears to use as sustenance, oh, I've already gone too far. Never mind.

User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.

Are you paying her enough to nibble on you? I'd require quite a premium for that sort of behavior.
Image
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

OK, like all good gorns, I was in bed and asleep at ten p.m. when I get woken up. Some knucklehead drove his car through my front yard, took out two sections of fence, went over a retaining wall and ended up upside down in the street. Exhibit A was a broken Heineken bottle near my front porch. Exhibit B was a pistol in the same general area. Exhibit C was a couple of Trojans, not malware, condoms, in my yard.

Image
Attachments
DSCN04141.jpg
DSCN04141.jpg (488.6 KiB) Viewed 416 times

Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”