Besides, Ricardo Montalban was awesome!ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Let's face it, once Hollywood discovered there was money to be made in the franchise, they seized creative control and focused on the computer graphics explosions and stuff instead of characters and plot.
But I liked "The Voyage Home" thanks to some great lines like Chekov's "Take me to the nuclear wessels." And Scottie's muttering "Primitive technology" as he cracks his knuckles before using a keyboard at extreme speed to make the transparent aluminum formula. And who doesn't love whales?
Star Trek IV (the one you cite) was good for its campy humor and good story line. The 'save the whales' mantra was overplayed, IMO.
I think the disparity in the quality of the Star Trek movies has much more to do with screenwriting, acting and directing than profitability. Who *doesn't* want to make money from their movies? If they can make money from dramatic appeal or introspective science fiction rather than graphics explosions and stuff, then that works too.
I couldn't tell you which movie had better special effects: Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan or Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. But I *can* tell you which movie set my teeth on edge more with poor screenwriting and a boring plotline. Hint: NOT Wrath of Khan.
OT Things to ponder
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: OT Things to ponder
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
RE: OT Things to ponder
I liked both of those movies. They still add to the "heading for Earth..." count. Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.
One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.
Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]
Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.
Very surprised First Contact seemed to get negative vibes on that list you linked to.
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: witpqs
I liked both of those movies. They still add to the "heading for Earth..." count. Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.
One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.
Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]
Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.
Very surprised First Contact seemed to get negative vibes on that list you linked to.
First Contact rated the best movie with the Next Generation cast. I concur. I disagreed with their rating of Insurrection as the poorest in the franchise. With the ST:TNG crew, that dubious disctinction falls squarely on Nemesis.
In turn, Nemesis ranks second to last in my book. Star Trek V nearly put me off of Star Trek altogether. It was an unmitigated dumpster fire. Guess who directed it? [:D]

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: witpqs
Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.
Here's a cheat sheet. [:D]
http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment ... ?a=viewall
Don't forget the 18 times that Enterprise was destroyed in "Cause and Effect" (ST:TNG).

RE: OT Things to ponder
Guessing: Shatner?ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
I liked both of those movies. They still add to the "heading for Earth..." count. Seems to happen more often than Enterprise gets destroyed.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.
Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]
Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.
Very surprised First Contact seemed to get negative vibes on that list you linked to.
First Contact rated the best movie with the Next Generation cast. I concur. I disagreed with their rating of Insurrection as the poorest in the franchise. With the ST:TNG crew, that dubious disctinction falls squarely on Nemesis.
In turn, Nemesis ranks second to last in my book. Star Trek V nearly put me off of Star Trek altogether. It was an unmitigated dumpster fire. Guess who directed it? [:D]
Watching Insurrection I nearly chewed off my own leg to get away. Nemesis, not so bad as that.
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: witpqs
Guessing: Shatner?
Ding ding ding! [8D]
Was it the 'talking back to God' that gave it away? Who would have the temerity to do that? [:D]
Watching Insurrection I nearly chewed off my own leg to get away. Nemesis, not so bad as that.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I kept hoping for the predator ship in Nemesis to blast the Enterprise to pieces so I wouldn't have to watch any more of the insipid and tired acting. It was obvious that Patrick Stewart et.al. had moved on from their roles in the movie series. Their heart just wasn't in it any more.
I'm grateful to the reboot for salvaging this franchise. Without the reboots, I think it would have petered out after Nemesis and the flagging Enterprise series.

RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
Guessing: Shatner?
Ding ding ding! [8D]
Was it the 'talking back to God' that gave it away? Who would have the temerity to do that? [:D]
Monty Python! [:D]Watching Insurrection I nearly chewed off my own leg to get away. Nemesis, not so bad as that.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I kept hoping for the predator ship in Nemesis to blast the Enterprise to pieces so I wouldn't have to watch any more of the insipid and tired acting. It was obvious that Patrick Stewart et.al. had moved on from their roles in the movie series. Their heart just wasn't in it any more.
It wasn't great, I just think it was as bad as many made it out to be. For me it wasn't a let down from TNG because TNG was... oh, we covered that already. [:D]
I'm grateful to the reboot for salvaging this franchise. Without the reboots, I think it would have petered out after Nemesis and the flagging Enterprise series.
I've only seen part of the first season of Enterprise so far. Missed it totally on first runs.
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: witpqs
It wasn't great, I just think it was as bad as many made it out to be.
I *didn't* fix this for you. [;)]

RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
It wasn't great, I just think it wasn't as bad as many made it out to be.
I *didn't* fix this for you. [;)]
Fixed!

- Attachments
-
- Raspberry.gif (6.82 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
RE: OT Things to ponder
Well you spelled 'principle' correctly, but you should have used 'principal'. [:-]ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.
One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.
Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]
Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
Some information for you BBfanboy. [:)]


- Attachments
-
- GrammarNazi.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 414 times

RE: OT Things to ponder
But that wasn't a grammar comment... [:'(]
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
RE: OT Things to ponder
OOOO - a man with a cool brown shirt - just like Boy Scouts of America!ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Some information for you BBfanboy. [:)]
![]()
Can I get the armband with a different logo >>>>

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: witpqs
But that wasn't a grammar comment... [:'(]
I couldn't find the Rudolf Hess meme as a spelling nazi, so it will have to do.

- Attachments
-
- Oldermeme.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 414 times

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Can I get the armband with a different logo >>>>![]()

- Attachments
-
- 14717057_1..289505_n.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 414 times

- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Things to ponder
All those movies are utter crap because I'm not in them. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I got a regular paycheck from Paramount? I mean, the residuals are nice but I'm just twiddling my thumbs here. I'm doing all the stretches and excersises to be ready to launch styrofoam boulders anywhere. I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.


- Attachments
-
- jamieh.gif (489.9 KiB) Viewed 414 times
-
Will_L_OLD
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 4:15 pm
- Location: NYC-Queens
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
All those movies are utter crap because I'm not in them. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I got a regular paycheck from Paramount? I mean, the residuals are nice but I'm just twiddling my thumbs here. I'm doing all the stretches and excersises to be ready to launch styrofoam boulders anywhere. I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.
![]()
Didn't you have a cameo in Ted 2?
I could swear that was you thrashing someone in the comic-con fight scene.
EDIT: quoted because... well it should be obvious
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Things to ponder
That was my sinister twin brother, I think. I have no idea what you're talking about, so that's just my best guess. You know, my evil twin actually likes Kirk and gets along with him fine. If I could catch him, well that would be the end of him.
I'm suspecting you are one of his compatriots since you have not remarked on how much you would like JLC to dance over your face.
Don't talk to me about yogurt or whatever she appears to use as sustenance, oh, I've already gone too far. Never mind.
I'm suspecting you are one of his compatriots since you have not remarked on how much you would like JLC to dance over your face.
Don't talk to me about yogurt or whatever she appears to use as sustenance, oh, I've already gone too far. Never mind.
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
I've even hired Jamie Lee Curtis as my trainer. Not even a nibble.
Are you paying her enough to nibble on you? I'd require quite a premium for that sort of behavior.

- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Things to ponder
OK, like all good gorns, I was in bed and asleep at ten p.m. when I get woken up. Some knucklehead drove his car through my front yard, took out two sections of fence, went over a retaining wall and ended up upside down in the street. Exhibit A was a broken Heineken bottle near my front porch. Exhibit B was a pistol in the same general area. Exhibit C was a couple of Trojans, not malware, condoms, in my yard.


- Attachments
-
- DSCN04141.jpg (488.6 KiB) Viewed 414 times



