Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
budd
Posts: 3160
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Tacoma

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by budd »

Kind of figured PCO was done but always wondered why Slitherine/Matrix didn't try to make this kind of game. Besides CM, what is there. Graveiteam is similar but different, seems like there's an opening for some competition to CM.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
aaatoysandmore
Posts: 2846
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 pm

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Another Combat Leader dust in the wind game I guess. I kinda figured after the origional developers left it was gonna be vaporware. There was always hope though till the fat lady screams.
User avatar
rico21
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by rico21 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Iain is away this week and he's not involved in Panzer Command in any case. When you hear from Mobius above, he and Rick are the Panzer Command team and as far as I know they have hit some serious technical obstacles with the map tools as far as allowing the series to continue. If they are able to overcome those, perhaps we'll see another release, but otherwise Ostfront is the complete final release.

Regards,

- Erik
Thank you for this answer, frank, honest, clear and precise.
But this answer does not suit us.
We want the game to be a sequel.
There are enough genius modders on this forum to create a mod west front
or a map editor that works.
In addition, if Rick and Mobius need material support to accomplish this work, I am sure that a subscription to the community fan would succeed.

Regards,

- Eric
User avatar
RFalvo69
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:47 pm
Location: Lamezia Terme (Italy)

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: rico21
This game is below the first three Combat Mission but it is above all the following ones.

Considering the fact that I do have the first three Combat Mission on the very computer I'm typing from, it's amazing how easily I forget that they were published from 2000 to 2003.

Some years later I found a link to a torrent with hundreds of scenarios and campaigns for all three games (all created by the players). I doubt that I'll be able to chew all that the original CMs have to offer in this lifetime.

The "second generation" was a crock. Sure, the graphic were nicer, but the actual game offered much less. I'm of the school "A square and a line are a perfectly fine way to represent a tank - just give me tons of data, units, scenarios, a scenario generator and an editor.

It is for the same reason that I still play HPS' Panthers in the Shadows and Tigers on the Prowl II. Sure, the various iterations of Steel Panthers are more pleasant, and with a cleaner interface, but they lack a transparent penetration model and,,most of all, the realistic chain of command - a frustrating feature (if you choose to activate the option), but that's the very point.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: budd
Kind of figured PCO was done but always wondered why Slitherine/Matrix didn't try to make this kind of game. Besides CM, what is there. Graveiteam is similar but different, seems like there's an opening for some competition to CM.

You may not have noticed, but we are working on a sequel to Steel Panthers together with 2by3. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
Another Combat Leader dust in the wind game I guess. I kinda figured after the origional developers left it was gonna be vaporware. There was always hope though till the fat lady screams.

Considering Combat Leader never made it to release despite major efforts whereas Panzer Command had three releases, I don't think they are that similar. I would also like Panzer Command to continue, for what it's worth.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: rico21
Thank you for this answer, frank, honest, clear and precise.
But this answer does not suit us.
We want the game to be a sequel.
There are enough genius modders on this forum to create a mod west front
or a map editor that works.
In addition, if Rick and Mobius need material support to accomplish this work, I am sure that a subscription to the community fan would succeed.

You are absolutely welcome to contact Mobius and Rick and volunteer to help. If you or another modder is able to help solve the technical problems they are having and make future releases realistic, I'm sure there would be a spot for you on the team.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
budd
Posts: 3160
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Tacoma

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: budd
Kind of figured PCO was done but always wondered why Slitherine/Matrix didn't try to make this kind of game. Besides CM, what is there. Graveiteam is similar but different, seems like there's an opening for some competition to CM.

You may not have noticed, but we are working on a sequel to Steel Panthers together with 2by3. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

O I noticed, care to give a status update[:D]

Played Steel Panthers for 10 years straight, its how i found Matrix.Totally different type of game though, unless your saying Steel Tigers is wego.

I still have all the original CM games but since the last computer upgrade cant get the widescreen to work and playing in a small square box just didn't appeal to me. Tried work arounds but nothing worked and some i couldn't get to start on windows 10, otherwise i would still be playing them. I like the new CM games and maybe its been so long since i played the originals i don't see the negative differences.


Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
User avatar
rico21
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by rico21 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: rico21
Thank you for this answer, frank, honest, clear and precise.
But this answer does not suit us.
We want the game to be a sequel.
There are enough genius modders on this forum to create a mod west front
or a map editor that works.
In addition, if Rick and Mobius need material support to accomplish this work, I am sure that a subscription to the community fan would succeed.

You are absolutely welcome to contact Mobius and Rick and volunteer to help. If you or another modder is able to help solve the technical problems they are having and make future releases realistic, I'm sure there would be a spot for you on the team.

Regards,

- Erik

Based on the tests I just performed,
The mapmaker does not work on my laptop windows 64 family 1.6 ghz.[:(]
The mapmaker works on my Dell i.5 windows 64 pro.[8D]

My hobby is the scenarios. Mapping and modding, very little.[:)]

The Battle Academy modding looks like Panzer Command, we need an Amaris.[&o]

In short, show and game must go on!
aaatoysandmore
Posts: 2846
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 pm

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: budd

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: budd
Kind of figured PCO was done but always wondered why Slitherine/Matrix didn't try to make this kind of game. Besides CM, what is there. Graveiteam is similar but different, seems like there's an opening for some competition to CM.

You may not have noticed, but we are working on a sequel to Steel Panthers together with 2by3. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

O I noticed, care to give a status update[:D]

Played Steel Panthers for 10 years straight, its how i found Matrix.Totally different type of game though, unless your saying Steel Tigers is wego.

I still have all the original CM games but since the last computer upgrade cant get the widescreen to work and playing in a small square box just didn't appeal to me. Tried work arounds but nothing worked and some i couldn't get to start on windows 10, otherwise i would still be playing them. I like the new CM games and maybe its been so long since i played the originals i don't see the negative differences.




Did you try ALt+enter?
rickier65
Posts: 14253
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: rico21
.....
Based on the tests I just performed,
The mapmaker does not work on my laptop windows 64 family 1.6 ghz.[:(]
The mapmaker works on my Dell i.5 windows 64 pro.[8D]

...

In short, show and game must go on!

After this thread started, I tried again to get the Map Maker - googlemaps interface working but had no success. On your Dell i.5 did you actually import a map from googlemaps using Map Maker?

If anyone has experience with the current google maps api and would be interested in joining the PCO team, please contact me.

Thanks
rick
User avatar
altipueri
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by altipueri »

ORIGINAL: budd

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: budd
Kind of figured PCO was done but always wondered why Slitherine/Matrix didn't try to make this kind of game. Besides CM, what is there. Graveiteam is similar but different, seems like there's an opening for some competition to CM.

You may not have noticed, but we are working on a sequel to Steel Panthers together with 2by3. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

O I noticed, care to give a status update[:D]

Played Steel Panthers for 10 years straight, its how i found Matrix.Totally different type of game though, unless your saying Steel Tigers is wego.

I still have all the original CM games but since the last computer upgrade cant get the widescreen to work and playing in a small square box just didn't appeal to me. Tried work arounds but nothing worked and some i couldn't get to start on windows 10, otherwise i would still be playing them. I like the new CM games and maybe its been so long since i played the originals i don't see the negative differences.



I've just (since reading your post) installed CMBO CMBB CMAK on a HP win 10 17" 1600x900 laptop I bought a few months ago.

It works, eventually, a bit like getting it to work on windows 8.1.

Lots of waiting for graphics to load, alt tabbing, start another program, make a coffee come back and it might have started but is like treacle so more alt-tabbing then all of a sudden it works.

It runs at 1024 x 768 which is Ok on my screen.


I much prefer the older CM games to the newer CMx2 ones. It's the random battle generator I like - as with most wargames.


PS - I still can't get Europa Universalis 2 or For The Glory to run despite trying the various web fixes - so I guess graphics and luck have something to do with this old game lark.

PPS And I still haven't completed the tutorial to Panzer Command Ostfront - to get back almost on topic.
User avatar
budd
Posts: 3160
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Tacoma

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: budd

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins



You may not have noticed, but we are working on a sequel to Steel Panthers together with 2by3. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

O I noticed, care to give a status update[:D]

Played Steel Panthers for 10 years straight, its how i found Matrix.Totally different type of game though, unless your saying Steel Tigers is wego.

I still have all the original CM games but since the last computer upgrade cant get the widescreen to work and playing in a small square box just didn't appeal to me. Tried work arounds but nothing worked and some i couldn't get to start on windows 10, otherwise i would still be playing them. I like the new CM games and maybe its been so long since i played the originals i don't see the negative differences.




Did you try ALt+enter?

To be honest don't remember all the things i tried, but tried everything i could find on the net at the time before uninstalling in disappointment.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
User avatar
rico21
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by rico21 »

ORIGINAL: rickier65

ORIGINAL: rico21
.....
Based on the tests I just performed,
The mapmaker does not work on my laptop windows 64 family 1.6 ghz.[:(]
The mapmaker works on my Dell i.5 windows 64 pro.[8D]

...

In short, show and game must go on!

After this thread started, I tried again to get the Map Maker - googlemaps interface working but had no success. On your Dell i.5 did you actually import a map from googlemaps using Map Maker?

If anyone has experience with the current google maps api and would be interested in joining the PCO team, please contact me.

Thanks
rick
Can not import google map but i do this,
1- I take a screenshot in png file of googlemap
2- I convert with paint net in 1000x1000 bmp file
3- I import it in mapmaker (with map size 1000) in heightmap and terrainmap
4-I build the map

Image

Image

Image
Attachments
orleans6.jpg
orleans6.jpg (58.51 KiB) Viewed 790 times
orleans4.jpg
orleans4.jpg (249.69 KiB) Viewed 790 times
orleans1j.jpg
orleans1j.jpg (137.93 KiB) Viewed 790 times
User avatar
rico21
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by rico21 »

My first scenario Leningrad is out on the Panzer Command Ostfront forum!

Image

Image

Image
Attachments
scr3.jpg
scr3.jpg (158.79 KiB) Viewed 790 times
scr1.jpg
scr1.jpg (106.94 KiB) Viewed 790 times
scr2.jpg
scr2.jpg (207.82 KiB) Viewed 790 times
User avatar
Mobius
Posts: 10339
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by Mobius »

I got it from Rick who is looking into why the Map Maker no longer importing Google Earth images. Seem we are caught in a war between MS and Google. MS browser (map maker is written in browser code) no longer supports some things GE needs to get the image. Now there is a work around that can run the old api but then GE thinks you are using an older browser and won't load. Catch 22.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
rickier65
Posts: 14253
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: rico21

ORIGINAL: rickier65

ORIGINAL: rico21
.....
Based on the tests I just performed,
The mapmaker does not work on my laptop windows 64 family 1.6 ghz.[:(]
The mapmaker works on my Dell i.5 windows 64 pro.[8D]

...

In short, show and game must go on!

After this thread started, I tried again to get the Map Maker - googlemaps interface working but had no success. On your Dell i.5 did you actually import a map from googlemaps using Map Maker?

If anyone has experience with the current google maps api and would be interested in joining the PCO team, please contact me.

Thanks
rick
Can not import google map but i do this,
1- I take a screenshot in png file of googlemap
2- I convert with paint net in 1000x1000 bmp file
3- I import it in mapmaker (with map size 1000) in heightmap and terrainmap
4-I build the map

Ok, thanks, maybe I'll see about bypassing the googlemap map import routines for now.

Thanks!
Rick
User avatar
rico21
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by rico21 »

Where Iron Crosses Grow, The scenario which does not need to be presented +++++++++++

Image
Attachments
WICG1.jpg
WICG1.jpg (138.7 KiB) Viewed 790 times
User avatar
rico21
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 am

RE: Any news on Panzer Command; West Front?

Post by rico21 »

Today, We present The Best 2017 Scenario Award Big Ivan :[&o][&o][&o]

-Desperates Measures


Image
Attachments
despe1.jpg
despe1.jpg (383.85 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”