Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16734
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

I'm thinking of reducing my DBs to 12k and TBs to 9k and then stagger my fighters between 12k and about 18k. Thoughts?
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli




I wonder if it was because my TBs were bombing from 14k feet?
Notice in the post above the TB's were actually releasing at 200'. Developers said long ago that when it comes to torpedoes the air group setting is for their transit/approach but they drop down to make attack runs.

Right, I understand that. It's the TBs that are carrying bombs that I was talking about. They remain at 14k feet to bomb. Probably too high to get good results. I'm thinking of dropping the TBs to 9k feet.
Ah! I think that's too high for bombs. TB's used to 'glide bomb' in a certain range but I'm not sure if that was removed. Either way I think it was a lower altitude range, @14k they probably just level bomb.
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I'm thinking of reducing my DBs to 12k and TBs to 9k and then stagger my fighters between 12k and about 18k. Thoughts?
There is a minimum for them to dive bomb, and I think it is 10k. At 9k I think they will level bomb. Is that what you want?
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16734
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I'm thinking of reducing my DBs to 12k and TBs to 9k and then stagger my fighters between 12k and about 18k. Thoughts?
There is a minimum for them to dive bomb, and I think it is 10k. At 9k I think they will level bomb. Is that what you want?

I want my DBs to dive bomb. Why call them dive bombers if thy only glide bomb? [:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I'm thinking of reducing my DBs to 12k and TBs to 9k and then stagger my fighters between 12k and about 18k. Thoughts?
There is a minimum for them to dive bomb, and I think it is 10k. At 9k I think they will level bomb. Is that what you want?

I want my DBs to dive bomb. Why call them dive bombers if thy only glide bomb? [:D]

Ain't no more glide bombing, they'd just fly along straight and level.
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ny59giants »

KBs air group composition is not as easy as this CV/CVL get DB/TBs taken off for more fighters. I would say that your very best Zeros pilots stay as CAP. Usually I go with 40% CAP, but I think some groups will be CAP at 60 or 70% and range 0.

One of the things John and I came up with in his mods was the idea of a CarDiv being 2 CVs and a CVL. A lot of this was based on our reading of "Shattered Swords." The CVL was to be CAP only, but up to the players to make the changes in air groups to have those CVLs reflect that. Changes to construction were made. Once repairs are done, you might consider this.
[center]Image[/center]
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

KBs air group composition is not as easy as this CV/CVL get DB/TBs taken off for more fighters. I would say that your very best Zeros pilots stay as CAP. Usually I go with 40% CAP, but I think some groups will be CAP at 60 or 70% and range 0.

One of the things John and I came up with in his mods was the idea of a CarDiv being 2 CVs and a CVL. A lot of this was based on our reading of "Shattered Swords." The CVL was to be CAP only, but up to the players to make the changes in air groups to have those CVLs reflect that. Changes to construction were made. Once repairs are done, you might consider this.
Assuming the speeds and endurance are compatible.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lowpe »

I remember the Sam mishap, just giving you reinforcement that you made the right decision.

You don't need torpedoes to savage his ships...those Judys' are great, and the twin bombs the TB carry aren't slouches either at finishing off crippled ships.

Although, one tactic which is solid, is to have a spare squadron of Judy and Zero follow the KB around ready to fly in fresh squadrons.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16734
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Although, one tactic which is solid, is to have a spare squadron of Judy and Zero follow the KB around ready to fly in fresh squadrons.

Good idea. Now that I'm down 3 carriers total (Hiryu, Junyo and Zuiho), I have some spare air units.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16734
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

9 Aug 43

Sub War

The RO-38 attempted to close on some of the damaged Allied CVs but was caught by the DD Dunlap and hit by a couple of DCs. She got the dreaded “massive explosion” (never saw that in a sub before), so I thought she was a goner. Well, she survived but she’s hurting pretty bad: 37-83(34)-4-0. She’s headed for Truk.

The RO-111 found the remnants of the CVE TF and put two more torpedoes into the battered BB New Mexico (making 7 total torpedo hits!). Immediately afterward, I heard sinking sounds. The intel report showed her as being sunk and the Allied sunk ship total/points reflects it as well so I count her as a fish apartment now. In the retaliatory depth charge attack, the sub ate a DC and took enough damage to head for the barn for repairs.

As a response to all those who claim RO subs aren’t worth building, I respectfully disagree. Every weapon in the Japanese arsenal is useful, if used properly.

5 Fleet

Nothing to report.

4 Fleet

More quiet here. KB reached Truk and refueled and rearmed with replacement aircraft added. They’ll sit in port for a day because they have enough OP points to move only 1 hex. I don’t want them stopped surrounded by Allied subs. Tomorrow, they’re heading south again (minus Hosho because of speed considerations) to a location within 7 hexes of all the damaged Allied ships. The idea is to put them out of their misery. I haven’t seen the CVs since the battle, but they’re out there. Well at least some of them are out there. Wasp and Yorktown both had fuel storage explosions and Saratoga took 2 torpedoes and 5x 500kg bombs. All 3 of them have to be in bad shape. Another torpedo or 2 will definitely take them down.

SE Fleet

Rabaul’s airfield got beat up again. The secondary target was Kavieng. Here’s the current damage:

Manus: 100-17-0
Kavieng: 100-75-0
Rabaul: 44-100-96
Talasea: 0-52-0

SRA

Nothing to report.

Burma

The tank regiment will reach Warazup tomorrow. About 400 Chindits landed there on 4 Aug. They’ll try to push them out the day after.

China

I bombarded again today. I’ve noticed their AV increased to about 15k while mine is still at 6k. I’ll let the supply replenish and then try a deliberate attack to see what I’m really up against. In the mean-time, I bomb daily with 130 or so Sallies.

Other Stuff

Ok, I’m doing the math with carrier capacity once again. My main carrier capacity will be only KB. Between now and the end of September, it’ll include Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, Shokaku, Zuikaku and Ryujo. Hosho is going back to MKB. Currently, the numbers are:

Fighters: 201
Dive Bombers: 90
Torpedo Bombers: 117

Regardless of whether the 3 US CVs were sunk or damaged, they’re out of commission for a good long time. That leaves 6 CVs and 3 CVLs available, some of which are damaged. Assuming the damaged ones are repaired, that gives them:

Fighters: 240
Dive Bombers: 216
Torpedo Bombers: 144

The good news is that I get CVLs Chitose and Chiyoda (21 F and 9 TB each) at the end of August and the CVs Katsuragi, Amagi and Unryu (36 F, 18 DB, 9 TB each) and CVLs Mizuho and Nisshin (21 F and 9 TB each) at the end of September. Add Shoho (21 F and 9 TB) in 18 days and that’ll bring my numbers to:

Fighters: 414
Dive Bombers: 144
Torpedo Bombers: 189

By the end of September, the Allies will get the following:

CV Bunker Hill (36 F, 36 DB, 18 TB)
CVL Cowpens (12 F, 18 TB)
CVLMonterey (12F, 18 TB)

That brings their totals to:

Fighters: 300
Dive Bombers: 252
Torpedo Bombers: 198

I’m not counting MKB or the US CVEs, because we know what will happen to them when they come across real carriers.

I’m going to increase fighter strength on some of my carriers and give more of the carriers the A6M5c. (Currently, only Soryu has that model.)
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16734
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Ok, next topic of discussion: IJA fighters

Here's what I have producing. Note that the Frank will start producing in a few days.

Model/Pool/Production

Ki-44-IIc Tojo / 63 / 120
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar / 67 / 128
Ki-100-II Tony / 56 / 120
Ki-84a Frank / 0 / 120

What should I change? scrap? increase? keep?
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

Many of us had suggested and you agreed to get all your CV/CVLs back together. So I know you are kicking yourself for not following that "self" advice. [:D]

You lost the recon/intel battle as Ted seemed to have better knowledge of what you had vs what he had. Was it weather or did you not have enough Emily in area on NavS?

Why is the old, slow Hosho with your big CVs?

[:-]

[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Here are the plane losses:


Image

Mike, see those navel A/C lost on the ground? Means a CV went down. My guess is Wasp.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

Yeah, I was surprised at the inability to kill Hellcats today.

Keep in mind that fighters assigned to escort duty are at a disadvantage. That coupled with a superior A/C and you can't expect too much. Besides as you said they did their jobs and kept his fighters off your bombers. OTOH your fighters should do a bit better against his escorting fighters. Don't expect miracles, but you might get 1:1 if you have a numbers advantage over him. Its why I like the Zero 5c, good firepower against a disadvantaged opponent. At least I hope it works. Looks good on paper.[:D] At any rate you don't really want to down fighters do you? Its bombers you want.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

The good news is that I get CVLs Chitose and Chiyoda (21 F and 9 TB each) at the end of August

Your welcome![:D]

Edit:Hope you did the other two as well. They would be available end of September.

Never mind I see you did.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

CVLs Mizuho

Watch this guy. Only 24 knot top speed. Best sent to MKB.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Ok, next topic of discussion: IJA fighters

Here's what I have producing. Note that the Frank will start producing in a few days.

Model/Pool/Production

Ki-44-IIc Tojo / 63 / 120
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar / 67 / 128
Ki-100-II Tony / 56 / 120
Ki-84a Frank / 0 / 120

What should I change? scrap? increase? keep?

Keep in mind that I'm in late '42 in my game.

This is how I see it. Too many Oscars. When Frank comes online cut them in half or less and put 'em to Frank. I like the Oscar for late war escort, but you shouldn't need too many. BTW the Ki-43-IIIa has the longest range of all the Oscars. As for the Tojo and Tony, I'd probably reduce them by 25% and put that to Frank as well. Remember as you start to field Franks the other model pools will grow and the more limited use will mean less loss as the Franks take over. Just my .02 Mike. Let's see what the pros say, and then make a more educated choice.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

I've got a question for you. Where's that CVL that builds in November '42 without its air groups. They inexplicable come in a year later, mistake I assume, but whatever. That's another 30 plane CVL that could have some LBA fighter group on it to up your CAP.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

Many of us had suggested and you agreed to get all your CV/CVLs back together. So I know you are kicking yourself for not following that "self" advice. [:D]

At least Mike had his other CVs within supporting distance. Ted didn't; he could have had the last strike if his other 2 or 3 CV/CVLs were closer.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16734
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Here are the plane losses:


Image

Mike, see those navel A/C lost on the ground? Means a CV went down. My guess is Wasp.

I suspected that was the case. Not sure which one though. First thought would be Wasp because she's the smallest. But look at the hits:

Yorktown: 2x500kg, 1x250kg, heavy fires, fuel storage explosion, don't think she sank.
Wasp: 2 torpedoes, 2x500, 1x250, heavy fires, heavy damage, fuel storage explosion.
Saratoga: 2 torpedoes, 5x500, 1x250, fires, heavy damage.

I'll take any (or all [:D]) of them.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”