Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

After Action Reports
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

The situation in the West

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis2.jpg
Operation..Axis2.jpg (205.17 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

And in front of Caen

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis3.jpg
Operation..Axis3.jpg (191.47 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

After my double move, the Allies get it right back. Here is the overall situation.

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis4.jpg
Operation..Axis4.jpg (176.92 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

The situation in the West

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis5.jpg
Operation..Axis5.jpg (201.4 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

The Brits and Canadians are making life interesting around Caen.

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis6.jpg
Operation..Axis6.jpg (172.96 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

So, I'm playing longer tonight than planned as my favourite hockey team is getting thumped. I've turned off the TV and am going to get another turn or more done.



Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis7.jpg
Operation..Axis7.jpg (179.85 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

I'm trying to understand this. This is a fully supplied and very ready unit, why is it so low on proficiency?

I thought that the Panzer Lehr were a very good division. Time to check the internet...

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis9.jpg
Operation..Axis9.jpg (12.09 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

Here is a look at the Western side of the AO.

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis8.jpg
Operation..Axis8.jpg (198.91 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

And now the Eastern edge.

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis10.jpg
Operation..Axis10.jpg (185.78 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

Another set of back to backs, this time for the Allies.

My team lost badly tonight in the hockey playoffs. Oh well...

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis9.jpg
Operation..Axis9.jpg (158.64 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

A look at the western side of the AO

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis11.jpg
Operation..Axis11.jpg (204.02 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

In front of Caen

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis12.jpg
Operation..Axis12.jpg (175 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
Szilard
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by Szilard »

Pz Lehr: Checking the scenario I see its units all have 1% proficiency, which is obviously a bug ...
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

Szilard,

Yes, all the units have that wonderfully high proficiency. Hopefully, they will learn quickly...

All the best,
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

So, the Allies and I keep trading off back to back moves. My turn to do the double.

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis13.jpg
Operation..Axis13.jpg (155.78 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
gwgardner
Posts: 7304
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:23 pm

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by gwgardner »

I did a quick cursory compare of your previous AAR with this one, on June 13th, just to see how the PO/AI was doing. Not bad, other than the failure to linkup the beaches? What do you think? I'm always interested in these games in the capabilities of the AI, and so far TOAW has really not disappointed me much. Did you give the AI an advantage?

[I turn off the radio, when my Texas Rangers give up 5 or 6 runs in an inning, so I know how you feel about your hockey team.]

User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

gwgardner,

Here is a look at the situation on June 14th in my AAR as the Allied player.

I had made some deeper progress off Utah beach and had linked all five beaches together. I know I was having issues with supply.

In this battle, the Allies are much closer to Caen.

The AI is giving me lots of problems, but I feel that it has missed a couple of chances to exploit openings that I might have taken. For example, I think I would have pushed harder on a couple of those back to back turns to exploit my weaknesses. However, I'm sure that the AI is suffering from poor supply and that is hampering its ability to push hard.

I have not see much indication of any Interdiction the last few turns and I guess this is because the supply for the Allied Air Force is ridiculously low.

I do find that once a unit is cut off, the AI does not try to break out or relieve it. Often the unit just sits in place and continues to struggle.

I gave the AI a strong Intelligence and a +1 handicap.

At the end of the day, I feel like I am being pushed in this scenario and that if I made bad decisions that I will get punished.

(My team - the Toronto Maple Leafs - got thumped in game 2 of the playoffs last night. It is hard to watch such a good season go down the drain so quickly. Hopefully, they can turn it around tomorrow night!)

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis1.jpg
Operation..Axis1.jpg (147.82 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

Here is a look at the west edge

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis14.jpg
Operation..Axis14.jpg (198.15 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

The Eastern edge and the battle for Caen.

Image
Attachments
Operation..Axis15.jpg
Operation..Axis15.jpg (177.2 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
User avatar
MikeJ19
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Operation Overlord - this time as the Germans

Post by MikeJ19 »

The Pz Lehr launched an attack on the Recce Bn and destroyed it. Whew!
Mike

Retired Gunner
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”