Virus Alert

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

Lucked out

Post by chief »

I have two machines, one Windoze 95, the one I'm on now, I had just updated my virus protection even though it (virus/worm) didn't effect 95 machines. But unfortunately my new laptop with XP wasn't updated yet and would you know that when I went in to update it it got the bug. Fortunately I was able to download patch which gave me time to load virus update and removal tool. Now both of my machines are clean again. Nasty little bug, my first virus ever and I hope my last. :D :D :cool:
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
User avatar
BrubakerII
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Adelaide Australia

Post by BrubakerII »

Have to admit I was struck by this baby last night myself. Run an auto daily upgard on my virus check and a Kerio firewall as well. Dan thing got past me though - go figure. In retrospect those times I disabled the viruscheck in order to get better pings online got me :o Hats off to the little p*rck that thought this one up.

Out of interest a virus site I visit claims Microsoft have a fix for this in one of their XP patches. Maybe food for thought there in regards to updating their software as well.

Just completed a full format after getting jack with trying to eradicate the thing. Bummer. Still, everything does run fatser now ;)

Brubaker
[8D] SSG Beta Tester [8D]
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Whew, I surrendered to the 'automatic update' thingy two weeks ago and let XP have it's way with updating and patching my system.

Kinda glad I did it now, I'm not hit yet at least. :D
Image
Got StuG?
User avatar
Pippin
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:54 pm

Post by Pippin »

I refuse to ever use MS auto updater again. Twice it messed up my registries and rendered my system unbootable.
Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Image
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Pippin
I refuse to ever use MS auto updater again. Twice it messed up my registries and rendered my system unbootable.


Guess I'm double lucky then.

I think I'll play on the lottery.... :p :D
Image
Got StuG?
Cobra1944
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:15 pm
Location: USA

Post by Cobra1944 »

How is this virus spread?

Can I pick it up merely by getting on the Internet?
Juillet MCMXLIV
User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

The best answer

Post by chief »

Cobra: go to the MSN site on the WEB and read about the worm, its the best place to get the correct answer and with less confusion on how its spread.

Oh by the way Welcome aboard.:) :cool:
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

Originally posted by Cobra1944
How is this virus spread?

Can I pick it up merely by getting on the Internet?


Read about it here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... .worm.html
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

I read that report Marc, but would this worm slow down a system over all.

Last couple of days my own systems seems to have gotten slow sort of. The typing in the post composition box seems choppy for instance.

Or could it be something totally unrelated to this hassle?
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
BrubakerII
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Adelaide Australia

Post by BrubakerII »

Les if you run a full up to date virus scan on your system you will find out if you have it or not.

Brubaker
[8D] SSG Beta Tester [8D]
Cobra1944
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:15 pm
Location: USA

Post by Cobra1944 »

Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
Read about it here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... .worm.html


From the aforementioned website:
The worm targets only Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines.
I'm still running Win98SE and on a dial-up 56k connection. So I'm guessing I'm safe or at the very least the virus simply isn't interested in me.
Juillet MCMXLIV
Cobra1944
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: The best answer

Post by Cobra1944 »

Originally posted by chief
Cobra: go to the MSN site on the WEB and read about the worm, its the best place to get the correct answer and with less confusion on how its spread.

Oh by the way Welcome aboard.:) :cool:


Thanks Chief! :)
Juillet MCMXLIV
Blunderbuss
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:24 pm
Location: Consett, NE England

Rip-off Britain (again/no.2)

Post by Blunderbuss »

Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
No, start spending that 20$ on Norton Antivirus or McAffee ;). I never had a virus struck me in 2 years now.


$20? Norton Antivirus costs £40 (about $65) over here. McAffee Firewall is £30 ($48). :mad:
User avatar
junk2drive
Posts: 12856
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Arizona West Coast

Post by junk2drive »

two years ago i bought an hp with free mcafee trial offer. after it expired i had a problem with windows. paid $30? for subscription service. it found a virus, cleaned it out, and saved me $100 trip to local repair shop. it updates all the time and is worth it to me
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Blunderbuss
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:24 pm
Location: Consett, NE England

XP updates are an improvement?

Post by Blunderbuss »

In response to the virus alert, I've just added 27 critical updates to Windows XP (I hadn't been updating it at all previously). Everything appeared to go smoothly. However, when I ran Strategic Command, I noticed that response times had slowed slightly (e.g. when you reinforce a unit). I don't know why this should be the case. The updates only amounted to 37 MB. Has this happened to anyone else?
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Re: Rip-off Britain (again/no.2)

Post by Marc von Martial »

Originally posted by Blunderbuss
$20? Norton Antivirus costs £40 (about $65) over here. McAffee Firewall is £30 ($48). :mad:


It´s time you guys switch to the EURO ;)

But then again even the 40 pounds are well invested.
User avatar
Dazooz2
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:32 pm
Contact:

Post by Dazooz2 »

Blunderbuss, sometimes if you install too many updates, you need to defragment the drive to get it to run smooth again!
Blunderbuss
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:24 pm
Location: Consett, NE England

Post by Blunderbuss »

My HD is de-fragged and cleaned up. Red Alert 2 is running at the same speed as before. Could it be the turn-based gameplay of SC that is the issue here? I'll try Rise of Nations later on, and see if it's still running at a satisfactory rate of knots. RON is more of a challenge for my PC.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”