Learn something new!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

Learn something new!

Post by crsutton »

Was talking to my sister in law the other day and she informed me that her dad was captain of this CV. During the Vietnam War where it served for about a year. Was decommissioned soon after.

Image
Attachments
bonhomme.jpg
bonhomme.jpg (72.57 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
jdsrae
Posts: 2796
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:58 am
Location: Gandangara Country

RE: Learn something new!

Post by jdsrae »

Did he have better stats than CAPT Farley?
Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
Kursk1943
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:17 pm
Location: Bavaria in Southern Germany

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Kursk1943 »

When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
User avatar
Leandros
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm
Contact:

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
You dreaming of going back to Kursk...[;)]..

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Kursk1943
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:17 pm
Location: Bavaria in Southern Germany

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Kursk1943 »

Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Alfred
Posts: 6683
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.

Wouldn't Beda Fromm have been a useful study too.

Alfred
User avatar
Q-Ball
Posts: 7855
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:43 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Q-Ball »

My grandfather took a ride on this ship Seattle to Brisbane, among many other transports between Seattle, Australia, Madang, Biak, Wakde, Hollandia, Zamboanga, Kobe, and back, and many points in between....he mostly forgot which ships though, but remebered this long voyage

Image
Attachments
Monterey.jpg
Monterey.jpg (94.82 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Kursk1943
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:17 pm
Location: Bavaria in Southern Germany

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Kursk1943 »

Beda Fromm is not well-known in Germany. Maybe because it was the Italian, not the German armour which got a real thrashing there.[:D]
I specialised on the eastern front battles and later switched to the Pacific war and the Civil War. While there are lots of books in Germany available about the East, there are not too many about the Pacific or the Civil War, so 90% of my books are US and UK imports.[:'(]
User avatar
Leandros
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm
Contact:

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.

Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Kursk1943
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:17 pm
Location: Bavaria in Southern Germany

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Kursk1943 »

In my opinion the most recent and very best about Stalingrad is David M. Glantz Stalingrad trilogy, highly recommended!
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Learn something new!

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.

Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.

Fred
Think future generations who might read it without already knowing.
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Learn something new!

Post by rustysi »

but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead.

How many barrels?[:'(]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19757
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Learn something new!

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.

Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.

Fred

Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.

Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19757
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Learn something new!

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead.

How many barrels?[:'(]

One barrel can sometimes be more than enough, especially when they try to fire with 2 feet of packed dirt at the end of the barrel. [:-] A 105mm steel orchid. [X(] The crew inside the turret was lucky that the breach held . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
rsallen64
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: Learn something new!

Post by rsallen64 »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

ORIGINAL: Leandros

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.

Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.

Fred

Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.

Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]


Hey now, what's this DAT bashing I hear going on? Is that coming from a Crunchy? [:D] Oh yes, the ongoing rivalry between armor and cav scouts. I never stuck my 105mm barrel into a berm, thank you very much, although I did get the whole tank stuck in a very muddy hole once and had to be towed out.

BTW, Beevor's book is good, and so is Craig's "Enemy at the Gates." I have Glantz's trilogy but haven't read it yet.
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Beta Tester
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

ORIGINAL: Leandros



Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.

Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.

Fred

Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.

Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]


Hey now, what's this DAT bashing I hear going on? Is that coming from a Crunchy? [:D] Oh yes, the ongoing rivalry between armor and cav scouts. I never stuck my 105mm barrel into a berm, thank you very much, although I did get the whole tank stuck in a very muddy hole once and had to be towed out.

BTW, Beevor's book is good, and so is Craig's "Enemy at the Gates." I have Glantz's trilogy but haven't read it yet.
Hurrah for the Poor Bloody Infantry!

Image
Attachments
tankwreck.jpg
tankwreck.jpg (76.76 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
User avatar
NigelKentarus
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:54 pm
Location: OH, USN 20 yrs, & FL

RE: Learn something new!

Post by NigelKentarus »

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
My father was a tanker in Korea. I went to join the Army but the recruiter was busy. So I joined the Navy. First person in my family tree to be non-army. Blacksheep me.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
User avatar
LargeSlowTarget
Posts: 5079
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France

RE: Learn something new!

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]

Stupid Scouts still don't get it that the only reason they are being sent ahead of the tanks is for triggering mines, IEDs, ambushes etc. so that the tanks can follow without fear for their more expensive vehicles and more valuable crews [:'(].
Ian R
Posts: 3442
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cammeraygal Country

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Did he have better stats than CAPT Farley?

Yes. Yes he did.

CRSutton has the genes, afterall.
"I am Alfred"
Ian R
Posts: 3442
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cammeraygal Country

RE: Learn something new!

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

My grandfather took a ride on this ship Seattle to Brisbane,

My great uncle took a ride on a transport to Singapore in about January '42.

Poor bastard.

Died on the railway.
"I am Alfred"
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”