
Learn something new!
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
Learn something new!
Was talking to my sister in law the other day and she informed me that her dad was captain of this CV. During the Vietnam War where it served for about a year. Was decommissioned soon after.


- Attachments
-
- bonhomme.jpg (72.57 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.
Sigismund of Luxemburg
Sigismund of Luxemburg
RE: Learn something new!
Did he have better stats than CAPT Farley?
Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
RE: Learn something new!
When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
RE: Learn something new!
You dreaming of going back to Kursk...[;)]..ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
RE: Learn something new!
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.

RE: Learn something new!
ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.![]()
Wouldn't Beda Fromm have been a useful study too.
Alfred
RE: Learn something new!
My grandfather took a ride on this ship Seattle to Brisbane, among many other transports between Seattle, Australia, Madang, Biak, Wakde, Hollandia, Zamboanga, Kobe, and back, and many points in between....he mostly forgot which ships though, but remebered this long voyage


- Attachments
-
- Monterey.jpg (94.82 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
RE: Learn something new!
Beda Fromm is not well-known in Germany. Maybe because it was the Italian, not the German armour which got a real thrashing there.[:D]
I specialised on the eastern front battles and later switched to the Pacific war and the Civil War. While there are lots of books in Germany available about the East, there are not too many about the Pacific or the Civil War, so 90% of my books are US and UK imports.[:'(]
I specialised on the eastern front battles and later switched to the Pacific war and the Civil War. While there are lots of books in Germany available about the East, there are not too many about the Pacific or the Civil War, so 90% of my books are US and UK imports.[:'(]
RE: Learn something new!
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.![]()
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
RE: Learn something new!
In my opinion the most recent and very best about Stalingrad is David M. Glantz Stalingrad trilogy, highly recommended!
RE: Learn something new!
Think future generations who might read it without already knowing.ORIGINAL: Leandros
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.![]()
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
RE: Learn something new!
but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead.
How many barrels?[:'(]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: Learn something new!
ORIGINAL: Leandros
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.![]()
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: Learn something new!
ORIGINAL: rustysi
but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead.
How many barrels?[:'(]
One barrel can sometimes be more than enough, especially when they try to fire with 2 feet of packed dirt at the end of the barrel. [:-] A 105mm steel orchid. [X(] The crew inside the turret was lucky that the breach held . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: Learn something new!
ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: Leandros
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
Not exactly dreaming of, but the Kursk battle is the one (besides Stalingrad), which I studied most intensively both as having been a tanker and still being an enthusiastic amateur historian.![]()
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
Hey now, what's this DAT bashing I hear going on? Is that coming from a Crunchy? [:D] Oh yes, the ongoing rivalry between armor and cav scouts. I never stuck my 105mm barrel into a berm, thank you very much, although I did get the whole tank stuck in a very muddy hole once and had to be towed out.
BTW, Beevor's book is good, and so is Craig's "Enemy at the Gates." I have Glantz's trilogy but haven't read it yet.
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Beta Tester
RE: Learn something new!
Hurrah for the Poor Bloody Infantry!ORIGINAL: rsallen64
ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: Leandros
Yes, I know - quite fascinating. I'm cavalry myself (not any longer, though) but I never served in a tank unit.
Only recently I leafed through "Panzer Leader" for the umpteenth time. Stalingrad wasn't exactly tank terrain, still they were used extensively if Bevoor is to be believed. I just bought his "Stalingrad" in a (hardbound) Swedish translation on a flea market only because the original version I have is a softcover copy. I do not think the "Swedish" had even been read - 3 bucks. I'm not too happy with his book - a little too much space dedicated to how terrible it all was. As if that is needed.
Fred
Tankers are Cavalry, think Heavy Cavalry with all that armor used as shock troops. Modern cavalry is more like the native Indian Scouts who looked around in Montana and told Custer "If you go down there and attack that village, you will die" or something like that.
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
Hey now, what's this DAT bashing I hear going on? Is that coming from a Crunchy? [:D] Oh yes, the ongoing rivalry between armor and cav scouts. I never stuck my 105mm barrel into a berm, thank you very much, although I did get the whole tank stuck in a very muddy hole once and had to be towed out.
BTW, Beevor's book is good, and so is Craig's "Enemy at the Gates." I have Glantz's trilogy but haven't read it yet.

- Attachments
-
- tankwreck.jpg (76.76 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
- NigelKentarus
- Posts: 207
- Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:54 pm
- Location: OH, USN 20 yrs, & FL
RE: Learn something new!
My father was a tanker in Korea. I went to join the Army but the recruiter was busy. So I joined the Navy. First person in my family tree to be non-army. Blacksheep me.ORIGINAL: Kursk1943
When I decided to join the German Bundeswehr in 1981 I would have liked to join the Navy, but because there were neither a CV nor a BB I joined the Army and became a tanker instead. [:(]
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
- LargeSlowTarget
- Posts: 5079
- Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France
RE: Learn something new!
ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
Dumb A$$ Tankers (DATs) need Scouts to tell them where to go, and who to shoot. [;)]
Stupid Scouts still don't get it that the only reason they are being sent ahead of the tanks is for triggering mines, IEDs, ambushes etc. so that the tanks can follow without fear for their more expensive vehicles and more valuable crews [:'(].
RE: Learn something new!
ORIGINAL: jdsrae
Did he have better stats than CAPT Farley?
Yes. Yes he did.
CRSutton has the genes, afterall.
"I am Alfred"
RE: Learn something new!
ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
My grandfather took a ride on this ship Seattle to Brisbane,
My great uncle took a ride on a transport to Singapore in about January '42.
Poor bastard.
Died on the railway.
"I am Alfred"









