AE Grandmaster

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve



You just wait till our next re-match! I'll show you! How little I've learned.....[8|]
You 2 remind me of a certain Star Trek episode...

THAT Star Trek series was before my time, old timer. [:'(]

What's the gist of the episode, or do I have to look it up on Memory Alpha?
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.

Having a good old laugh to overcome their common foe? Pfft... Hardly as quotable as, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! I spit my last breath at thee!" Now THAT's some perennial animosity I can get behind! [8D]
Image
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: witpqs
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.

Having a good old laugh to overcome their common foe? Pfft... Hardly as quotable as, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! I spit my last breath at thee!" Now THAT's some perennial animosity I can get behind! [8D]
"We Klingons need no urging to hate Humans" doesn't do it for you? Poor fellow.
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: witpqs
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.

Having a good old laugh to overcome their common foe? Pfft... Hardly as quotable as, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! I spit my last breath at thee!" Now THAT's some perennial animosity I can get behind! [8D]
[8D]
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: witpqs
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.

Having a good old laugh to overcome their common foe? Pfft... Hardly as quotable as, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! I spit my last breath at thee!" Now THAT's some perennial animosity I can get behind! [8D]
"We Klingons need no urging to hate Humans" doesn't do it for you? Poor fellow.

Not when you have, "I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give him up!"

Whoo...send chills up my spine. [8D]
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Chickenboy »

"Oh, I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to keep on...hurting you..."
Image
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"Oh, I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to keep on...hurting you..."
No wonder they brought Khan back (in a much lesser film).

Image
Attachments
hetasksmekhan.jpg
hetasksmekhan.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 396 times
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"Oh, I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to keep on...hurting you..."
No wonder they brought Khan back (in a much lesser film).

Image


Image
Attachments
captainyo..inferior.jpg
captainyo..inferior.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 396 times
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Canoerebel »

Do Star Trek and Shakespeare and Byron and Yeats and Kipling offer better insults than: "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Do Star Trek and Shakespeare and Byron and Yeats and Kipling offer better insults than: "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"?
The Pythons were Abuse and Insults, Ltd.

Image
Attachments
snottyfac..roppings.jpg
snottyfac..roppings.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 396 times
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"Oh, I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to keep on...hurting you..."
No wonder they brought Khan back (in a much lesser film).

Image
I think the writers borrowed a lot from Moby Dick in their script.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I'd like to see a category of "Young Turks" as masters. People who were relatively new when this thread premiered , but now approach , and might actually be considered (despite their youth). For that category I nominate Chickenboy. AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D] As you might discern , I've played against him many times . And each time been humiliated! [:(]

Hmmm....not every time. [:-] [;)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
Anachro
Posts: 2506
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:51 pm
Location: The Coastal Elite

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Not necessarily.[:)] The Chess grandmaster norm is quite high but doesn't guarantee first place in the tournament. Much depends on the ratings of the opponents faced. It also generally requires more than one norm, although if you do become world champion, that will suffice for the title and the acquisition of further norms is set aside.[:)]

Besides with the length of time required to finish a single game, how many decades do you think we would have to keep alive any AEGM norms achieved. In chess there is a time limit within which all the requisite norms must be achieved. Old norms can be lost if the remaining norms are not acquired within the time limit.

Alfred

If I was to give myself an ELO rating in AE terms, I'd probably be around a 1000-1200 player, or so I think. Maybe lower (I've been playing a lot of chess and watching chess tournaments throughout this COVID stuff).
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Hm, a grandmaster usually needs to win a tournament before he can claim this title... [;)]

Not necessarily.[:)] The Chess grandmaster norm is quite high but doesn't guarantee first place in the tournament. Much depends on the ratings of the opponents faced. It also generally requires more than one norm, although if you do become world champion, that will suffice for the title and the acquisition of further norms is set aside.[:)]

Besides with the length of time required to finish a single game, how many decades do you think we would have to keep alive any AEGM norms achieved. In chess there is a time limit within which all the requisite norms must be achieved. Old norms can be lost if the remaining norms are not acquired within the time limit.

Alfred
A minor correction - Norms do not expire; FIDE changed this some years ago. The GM title also requires a player to have attained a FIDE rating of at least 2500. See https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments ... explained/ and https://fide.com/ for details...

I don't think this is workable for AE unless we create a bureaucracy like FIDE has. Perhaps an AE Hall of Fame, for both players and for specific AE games?
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Anachro
If I was to give myself an ELO rating

This guy's ELO rating is off the charts.

Image
Attachments
JeffLynne.jpg
JeffLynne.jpg (9.47 KiB) Viewed 396 times
Image
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Anachro
If I was to give myself an ELO rating

This guy's ELO rating is off the charts.

Image
ELO hasn't been on the charts for about 40 years...it's now Jeff Lynn's ELO.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Anachro
If I was to give myself an ELO rating

This guy's ELO rating is off the charts.

Image
ELO hasn't been on the charts for about 40 years...it's now Jeff Lynn's ELO.

Well, not exactly.

It was ELO Part II from 1989-1999, and Jeff Lynne's ELO from 2014-present. With this bit sandwiched in there too:

2000–2001: Reformation
Lynne's comeback with ELO began in 2000 with the release of a retrospective box set, Flashback, containing three CDs of remastered tracks and a handful of out-takes and unfinished works, most notably a new version of ELO's only UK number one hit "Xanadu". In 2001 Zoom, ELO's first album since 1986, was released.[40] Though billed and marketed as an ELO album, the only returning member other than Lynne was Tandy, who performed on one track. Guest musicians included former Beatles Ringo Starr and George Harrison. Upon completion of the album, Lynne reformed the band with completely new members, including his then-girlfriend Rosie Vela (who had released her own album, Zazu, in 1986) and announced that ELO would tour again. Former ELO member Tandy rejoined the band a short time afterwards for two television live performances: VH1 Storytellers and a PBS concert shot at CBS Television City, later titled Zoom Tour Live, was released on DVD. Besides Lynne, Tandy and Vela, the new live ELO lineup included: Gregg Bissonette (drums, backing vocals), Matt Bissonette (bass guitar, backing vocals), Marc Mann (guitars, keyboards, backing vocals), Peggy Baldwin (cello), and Sarah O'Brien (cello). But the planned tour was cancelled.
Image
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy




This guy's ELO rating is off the charts.

Image
ELO hasn't been on the charts for about 40 years...it's now Jeff Lynn's ELO.

Well, not exactly.

It was ELO Part II from 1989-1999, and Jeff Lynne's ELO from 2014-present. With this bit sandwiched in there too:

2000–2001: Reformation
Lynne's comeback with ELO began in 2000 with the release of a retrospective box set, Flashback, containing three CDs of remastered tracks and a handful of out-takes and unfinished works, most notably a new version of ELO's only UK number one hit "Xanadu". In 2001 Zoom, ELO's first album since 1986, was released.[40] Though billed and marketed as an ELO album, the only returning member other than Lynne was Tandy, who performed on one track. Guest musicians included former Beatles Ringo Starr and George Harrison. Upon completion of the album, Lynne reformed the band with completely new members, including his then-girlfriend Rosie Vela (who had released her own album, Zazu, in 1986) and announced that ELO would tour again. Former ELO member Tandy rejoined the band a short time afterwards for two television live performances: VH1 Storytellers and a PBS concert shot at CBS Television City, later titled Zoom Tour Live, was released on DVD. Besides Lynne, Tandy and Vela, the new live ELO lineup included: Gregg Bissonette (drums, backing vocals), Matt Bissonette (bass guitar, backing vocals), Marc Mann (guitars, keyboards, backing vocals), Peggy Baldwin (cello), and Sarah O'Brien (cello). But the planned tour was cancelled.
Ok...but can Jeff Lynn take Singapore by 1/31/1942?
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Canoerebel »

The most important factoid about ELO is that Rosie Vela sang backup for awhile. I regret the poor quality of this screen capture, which doesn't do her justice. In motion, she's the most apt depiction of "willowy" that I've ever seen.

Chickenboy, she's a Texan, in case you're in the neighborhood.

Image
Attachments
RosieVela062320.jpg
RosieVela062320.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 396 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Andy Mac »

I thought this was a Grandmaster thread...…...
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”