The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Zorch
You 2 remind me of a certain Star Trek episode...ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
You just wait till our next re-match! I'll show you! How little I've learned.....[8|]
THAT Star Trek series was before my time, old timer. [:'(]
What's the gist of the episode, or do I have to look it up on Memory Alpha?
AE Grandmaster
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: AE Grandmaster
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: AE Grandmaster
ORIGINAL: witpqs
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.
Having a good old laugh to overcome their common foe? Pfft... Hardly as quotable as, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! I spit my last breath at thee!" Now THAT's some perennial animosity I can get behind! [8D]

RE: AE Grandmaster
"We Klingons need no urging to hate Humans" doesn't do it for you? Poor fellow.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.
Having a good old laugh to overcome their common foe? Pfft... Hardly as quotable as, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! I spit my last breath at thee!" Now THAT's some perennial animosity I can get behind! [8D]
RE: AE Grandmaster
[8D]ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.
Having a good old laugh to overcome their common foe? Pfft... Hardly as quotable as, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! I spit my last breath at thee!" Now THAT's some perennial animosity I can get behind! [8D]
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: AE Grandmaster
ORIGINAL: Zorch
"We Klingons need no urging to hate Humans" doesn't do it for you? Poor fellow.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: witpqs
The antagonist fed on anger/hatred/conflict. When the long-time enemies, the Klingons and the Humans figured that out, they made friendly and had a good old laugh to overcome their common foe.
Having a good old laugh to overcome their common foe? Pfft... Hardly as quotable as, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! I spit my last breath at thee!" Now THAT's some perennial animosity I can get behind! [8D]
Not when you have, "I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give him up!"
Whoo...send chills up my spine. [8D]

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: AE Grandmaster
"Oh, I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to keep on...hurting you..."

RE: AE Grandmaster
No wonder they brought Khan back (in a much lesser film).ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
"Oh, I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to keep on...hurting you..."

- Attachments
-
- hetasksmekhan.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 400 times
RE: AE Grandmaster
ORIGINAL: Zorch
No wonder they brought Khan back (in a much lesser film).ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
"Oh, I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to keep on...hurting you..."
![]()

- Attachments
-
- captainyo..inferior.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 400 times
- Canoerebel
- Posts: 21099
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
- Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
- Contact:
RE: AE Grandmaster
Do Star Trek and Shakespeare and Byron and Yeats and Kipling offer better insults than: "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
RE: AE Grandmaster
The Pythons were Abuse and Insults, Ltd.ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Do Star Trek and Shakespeare and Byron and Yeats and Kipling offer better insults than: "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"?

- Attachments
-
- snottyfac..roppings.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 400 times
RE: AE Grandmaster
I think the writers borrowed a lot from Moby Dick in their script.ORIGINAL: Zorch
No wonder they brought Khan back (in a much lesser film).ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
"Oh, I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to keep on...hurting you..."
![]()
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
- USSAmerica
- Posts: 19211
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
- Location: Graham, NC, USA
- Contact:
RE: AE Grandmaster
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
I'd like to see a category of "Young Turks" as masters. People who were relatively new when this thread premiered , but now approach , and might actually be considered (despite their youth). For that category I nominate Chickenboy. AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D] As you might discern , I've played against him many times . And each time been humiliated! [:(]
Hmmm....not every time. [:-] [;)]
Mike
"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett
"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett
"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
RE: AE Grandmaster
ORIGINAL: Alfred
Not necessarily.[:)] The Chess grandmaster norm is quite high but doesn't guarantee first place in the tournament. Much depends on the ratings of the opponents faced. It also generally requires more than one norm, although if you do become world champion, that will suffice for the title and the acquisition of further norms is set aside.[:)]
Besides with the length of time required to finish a single game, how many decades do you think we would have to keep alive any AEGM norms achieved. In chess there is a time limit within which all the requisite norms must be achieved. Old norms can be lost if the remaining norms are not acquired within the time limit.
Alfred
If I was to give myself an ELO rating in AE terms, I'd probably be around a 1000-1200 player, or so I think. Maybe lower (I've been playing a lot of chess and watching chess tournaments throughout this COVID stuff).
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ...
" - BBfanboy
" - BBfanboyRE: AE Grandmaster
A minor correction - Norms do not expire; FIDE changed this some years ago. The GM title also requires a player to have attained a FIDE rating of at least 2500. See https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments ... explained/ and https://fide.com/ for details...ORIGINAL: Alfred
ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Hm, a grandmaster usually needs to win a tournament before he can claim this title... [;)]
Not necessarily.[:)] The Chess grandmaster norm is quite high but doesn't guarantee first place in the tournament. Much depends on the ratings of the opponents faced. It also generally requires more than one norm, although if you do become world champion, that will suffice for the title and the acquisition of further norms is set aside.[:)]
Besides with the length of time required to finish a single game, how many decades do you think we would have to keep alive any AEGM norms achieved. In chess there is a time limit within which all the requisite norms must be achieved. Old norms can be lost if the remaining norms are not acquired within the time limit.
Alfred
I don't think this is workable for AE unless we create a bureaucracy like FIDE has. Perhaps an AE Hall of Fame, for both players and for specific AE games?
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: AE Grandmaster
ORIGINAL: Anachro
If I was to give myself an ELO rating
This guy's ELO rating is off the charts.

- Attachments
-
- JeffLynne.jpg (9.47 KiB) Viewed 400 times

RE: AE Grandmaster
ELO hasn't been on the charts for about 40 years...it's now Jeff Lynn's ELO.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Anachro
If I was to give myself an ELO rating
This guy's ELO rating is off the charts.
![]()
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: AE Grandmaster
ORIGINAL: Zorch
ELO hasn't been on the charts for about 40 years...it's now Jeff Lynn's ELO.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Anachro
If I was to give myself an ELO rating
This guy's ELO rating is off the charts.
![]()
Well, not exactly.
It was ELO Part II from 1989-1999, and Jeff Lynne's ELO from 2014-present. With this bit sandwiched in there too:
2000–2001: Reformation
Lynne's comeback with ELO began in 2000 with the release of a retrospective box set, Flashback, containing three CDs of remastered tracks and a handful of out-takes and unfinished works, most notably a new version of ELO's only UK number one hit "Xanadu". In 2001 Zoom, ELO's first album since 1986, was released.[40] Though billed and marketed as an ELO album, the only returning member other than Lynne was Tandy, who performed on one track. Guest musicians included former Beatles Ringo Starr and George Harrison. Upon completion of the album, Lynne reformed the band with completely new members, including his then-girlfriend Rosie Vela (who had released her own album, Zazu, in 1986) and announced that ELO would tour again. Former ELO member Tandy rejoined the band a short time afterwards for two television live performances: VH1 Storytellers and a PBS concert shot at CBS Television City, later titled Zoom Tour Live, was released on DVD. Besides Lynne, Tandy and Vela, the new live ELO lineup included: Gregg Bissonette (drums, backing vocals), Matt Bissonette (bass guitar, backing vocals), Marc Mann (guitars, keyboards, backing vocals), Peggy Baldwin (cello), and Sarah O'Brien (cello). But the planned tour was cancelled.

RE: AE Grandmaster
Ok...but can Jeff Lynn take Singapore by 1/31/1942?ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Zorch
ELO hasn't been on the charts for about 40 years...it's now Jeff Lynn's ELO.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
This guy's ELO rating is off the charts.
![]()
Well, not exactly.
It was ELO Part II from 1989-1999, and Jeff Lynne's ELO from 2014-present. With this bit sandwiched in there too:
2000–2001: Reformation
Lynne's comeback with ELO began in 2000 with the release of a retrospective box set, Flashback, containing three CDs of remastered tracks and a handful of out-takes and unfinished works, most notably a new version of ELO's only UK number one hit "Xanadu". In 2001 Zoom, ELO's first album since 1986, was released.[40] Though billed and marketed as an ELO album, the only returning member other than Lynne was Tandy, who performed on one track. Guest musicians included former Beatles Ringo Starr and George Harrison. Upon completion of the album, Lynne reformed the band with completely new members, including his then-girlfriend Rosie Vela (who had released her own album, Zazu, in 1986) and announced that ELO would tour again. Former ELO member Tandy rejoined the band a short time afterwards for two television live performances: VH1 Storytellers and a PBS concert shot at CBS Television City, later titled Zoom Tour Live, was released on DVD. Besides Lynne, Tandy and Vela, the new live ELO lineup included: Gregg Bissonette (drums, backing vocals), Matt Bissonette (bass guitar, backing vocals), Marc Mann (guitars, keyboards, backing vocals), Peggy Baldwin (cello), and Sarah O'Brien (cello). But the planned tour was cancelled.
- Canoerebel
- Posts: 21099
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
- Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
- Contact:
RE: AE Grandmaster
The most important factoid about ELO is that Rosie Vela sang backup for awhile. I regret the poor quality of this screen capture, which doesn't do her justice. In motion, she's the most apt depiction of "willowy" that I've ever seen.
Chickenboy, she's a Texan, in case you're in the neighborhood.

Chickenboy, she's a Texan, in case you're in the neighborhood.

- Attachments
-
- RosieVela062320.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 400 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
RE: AE Grandmaster
I thought this was a Grandmaster thread...…...





