What music are you listening to now?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
Orm
Posts: 33634
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: Sweden

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by Orm »

I wonder if you can only listen to 50 toons would be a hindrance to earworms. Cause I've had several of them during the last couple of weeks. Among them this one made famous through a commercial. I actually recall the lyrics better from the bio commercial than the song itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikf-51u2tEY
Robin Beck-First Time coca cola 80s long version
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

For my third choice I have to choose the greatest of all disco tracks. This song is just amazing - it makes people like me who have two left feet and can only 'dad dance' (and can't even do that well) just want to get on the dance floor.

But what makes this track so special - and it truly is special - is the enormous variety of sounds that come at you from every direction. This track has Michael Jackson's voice at its very silky smooth best and against this we have the superb music. I've no idea what instruments are making all the sounds but there seems to be the de riguer cow bells (what self respecting disco track doesn't have cow bells [:)]), strings, brass, drums, guitars. I just love changes of direction at the end of records, and while this doesn't exactly change direction, the last minute or so of the track is just a cacophony of wondrous sound assaulting the eardrums from all sides.

No.3. Michael Jackson - Don't stop 'til you get enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qQtSRmHxo

Image
Attachments
offthewall.jpg
offthewall.jpg (133.13 KiB) Viewed 549 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
shunwick
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:20 pm

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by shunwick »

My second (and before warspite1 changes his mind....)

Evgeny Kissin - Pictures at an Exhibition : Modest Mussorgski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_Rsl7fjok&t=702s

The romantic fused with the Russian hammer. It is the music of a people who have suffered throughout their history and yet refuse to give up hope or succumb to despair. Written for piano though usually heard in it's orchestral form, Kissin's virtuosity is wondrous to behold.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19765
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by RangerJoe »

If I was limited to 50 songs, I would insist on 50 all young, female groups, bands, and orchestras to do the music in person - especially with no other men around!
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

If I was limited to 50 songs, I would insist on 50 all young, female groups, bands, and orchestras to do the music in person - especially with no other men around!
warspite1

Well I'm glad to see the music is important to you.... [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
timmyab
Posts: 2047
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by timmyab »

I'll play :)
I like most music genres especially popular and jazz, but classical moves me most deeply.
These are simply my favorite recordings that I actually own. They are often longer than twenty minutes, but I'll count them in twenty minute sections rounded up.
There are youtube links where available in case anyone's interested in a particular recording.

Tchaikovsky Symphony No 5. Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra/Jansons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCoHUA8h5I
Actually I prefer the 6th symphony but this is my favorite Tchaikovsky recording that I own. The whole OPO/Jansons set is great.

Rachmaninov Cello Sonata in Gm - Paul Tortelier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afeoXtWWzg8
Beautiful piece, very expressive playing from a great artist.

Mahler Symphony No 4 / Cleveland Orchestra/Szell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhb0ztacM0
Not sure which is my favorite Mahler symphony, but this is definitely my favorite Mahler recording I own. I know I will like just about anything with Szell's name on it.

That's 8 points out of 50. Will certainly run out of points before favorite recordings.
User avatar
shunwick
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:20 pm

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by shunwick »

My third...

Pink Floyd - Echoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn_s8Wh8jQ

Almost 50 years old and still as awesome as the first time I heard it. I never get tired of listening to Echoes. It takes me away.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: timmyab

I'll play :)
I like most music genres especially popular and jazz, but classical moves me most deeply.
These are simply my favorite recordings that I actually own. They are often longer than twenty minutes, but I'll count them in twenty minute sections rounded up.
There are youtube links where available in case anyone's interested in a particular recording.

Tchaikovsky Symphony No 5. Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra/Jansons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCoHUA8h5I
Actually I prefer the 6th symphony but this is my favorite Tchaikovsky recording that I own. The whole OPO/Jansons set is great.

Rachmaninov Cello Sonata in Gm - Paul Tortelier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afeoXtWWzg8
Beautiful piece, very expressive playing from a great artist.

Mahler Symphony No 4 / Cleveland Orchestra/Szell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhb0ztacM0
Not sure which is my favorite Mahler symphony, but this is definitely my favorite Mahler recording I own. I know I will like just about anything with Szell's name on it.

That's 8 points out of 50. Will certainly run out of points before favorite recordings.
warspite1

Wow timmyab! You must have a real hard on for those pieces - that's almost 20% of all the music you will ever hear again....

I must admit I don't know (or at least I don't think I know) any of these, so will give them a listen in the coming days. Thanks for taking part.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

My third...

Pink Floyd - Echoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn_s8Wh8jQ

Almost 50 years old and still as awesome as the first time I heard it. I never get tired of listening to Echoes. It takes me away.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Well shunwick ol' boy, you are certainly getting value for money time wise!! I am guessing with the Floyd and Yes, you perhaps have just a few years on me - pushing 60 perchance?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

Well I am going to find this impossibly difficult as it is - hence the title - so I can't afford to give so many points away on full symphonies.

I may choose to add further movements to this symphony as its my favourite symphony from my favourite composer, but for now I will use 1 point on this beautiful movement from Beethoven's 6th. Not sure if I can count the III, IV or V, as one but they all roll into one for 18 and a half minutes of musical magnificence so I will count it [:)] If you won't allow me that then it will be V Allegretto.

No.4 Symphony No.6 in F Major (III, IV and V) - Beethoven (it's all one movement on my ipod so.....[:)])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4g-FhqbVtQ

Why? Well its really very simple. V starts at about 9:30. It punches one in the mouth straight out of the box and leaves one prone on the floor, totally helpless - but that is not even the best bit. While still trying to recover and get to one's feet, what comes along at about 13:30 has one quickly assuming the foetal position and blubbing uncontrollably like a baby.

It simply doesn't matter how many times I hear this - I am reduced to tears every time. Those strings..... wow.

As Tina Turner said of him over 200 years later, You're simply the best

Image
Attachments
portraitL..Stieler.jpg
portraitL..Stieler.jpg (178.22 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 13167
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by asl3d »

The Look of Love by Isaac Hayes

Album: To be Continued (Enterprise Records, 1970)

Music written by Burt Bacharach (1967)

Image: Isaac Hayes by Stax Museum of American Soul Music

Video: Dead Presidents (1995)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGRai734w0

Image
Attachments
The Look o..ac Hayes.jpg
The Look o..ac Hayes.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

For my fifth choice (10% of the way through already!!) I have to choose what is rapidly turning into perhaps my favourite track ever. I only really found this version about 5 or 6 years ago but remains firmly at the top of my playlist.

I liked this track when sung by Celine Dion - although the same can't be said for the POS film that it came from - it was nothing hugely special but a very good track. But then I heard Sarah Brightman sing it....in Italian.... with a proper orchestral background and........

The thing with this track is that it's binary; you either love it unconditionally or you have no more right to live on god's clean earth than a weasel.

Her delicate, yet powerful cut glass voice is a big, big plus here (and sadly knocks a more than competent songstress like Ms Dion into a cocked hat. But its the orchestra that slays me. Normally I am a strings man, but more and more I've come to appreciate the quality of the brass section. So unbelievably sad, yet uplifting its just intoxicating and once again the tears are not far behind (you know I really need to man up.... or get a bigger box of Kleenex....).

If you don't believe me then just listen to around the 2:55 mark. The piece goes quiet, just a melancholy woodwind(?) instrument that introduces the brass that just takes an already incredible piece of music into the stratosphere at around 3:15 - accompanied by Ms Brightman giving it full beans and then the timpani(?) at 3:35. Ecstasy.

No.5 Il Mio Cuore Va - Sarah Brightman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNDM_CM03wc

Image
Attachments
Sarah-Brig..-charity.jpg
Sarah-Brig..-charity.jpg (283.6 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
shunwick
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:20 pm

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: shunwick

My third...

Pink Floyd - Echoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn_s8Wh8jQ

Almost 50 years old and still as awesome as the first time I heard it. I never get tired of listening to Echoes. It takes me away.

warspite1

Well shunwick ol' boy, you are certainly getting value for money time wise!! I am guessing with the Floyd and Yes, you perhaps have just a few years on me - pushing 60 perchance?
Ah yes, I remember being 60.... good times.

I see I have some catching up to do as you forge ahead.

My fourth...

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaFBNvhceA

My fifth...

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OtzJtp-EM

Best wishes,
Steve

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
User avatar
loki100
Posts: 11708
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Utlima Thule

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by loki100 »

having spent 5 hours today trying to call Barclays Bamk can I nominate their awful music as my most listened to so far this year
User avatar
shunwick
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:20 pm

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by shunwick »

My seventh...

Fairport Convention - She Moves Through The Fair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTb0_TfUnEk

Sandy Denny at her finest. Haunting and beautiful, is it any wonder why I fell in love with it all those years ago?

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

Okay to the next on the list...

..and this time its a Scottish band and this is the only song of theirs I've ever heard of. But what a stonking toooon it is. Actually quite a sad toon, I love this (surprise surprise) because of the wonderfully high pitched string sound that features regularly throughout the track. But there is a rich variety of sounds (the piano especially) and the number of changes of direction. I've no idea what the song is about, but the song title adds to the overall sense of sadness.

No.6 Tinseltown in the Rain - The Blue Nile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxkbe2MLkgg

Image
Attachments
81SRrXHp9HL._SS500_.jpg
81SRrXHp9HL._SS500_.jpg (37.85 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Okay to the next on the list...

..and this time its a Scottish band and this is the only song of theirs I've ever heard of. But what a stonking toooon it is. Actually quite a sad toon, I love this (surprise surprise) because of the wonderfully high pitched string sound that features regularly throughout the track. But there is a rich variety of sounds (the piano especially) and the number of changes of direction. I've no idea what the song is about, but the song title adds to the overall sense of sadness.

Tinseltown in the Rain - The Blue Nile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxkbe2MLkgg

Image
No! No! The Blue Nile is a book!

Image
Attachments
BlueNile.jpg
BlueNile.jpg (25.18 KiB) Viewed 552 times
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

Time for some more value for money - over 17 minutes of mayhem!! For my next track I choose the outstanding piece from the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in London 2012.

Where do I even start with this? From the relentless drumming that features for the majority of the track to the hypnotic chanting, the sombre whistling in memory of the fallen in two World Wars, and then the building up into just a superb crescendo of noise - only max volume will do here. I adore the faux bells (nice touch) sound that appears many times and of course those strings. From 12 minutes on the track really gets into its stride. The brass chimes in at just after 14 minutes, after which there are just so many things going on its difficult to know what to concentrate on. Wonderful. And my eldest warspite played on this too [:)]

No.7 And I will Kiss (feat Dame Evelyn Glennie and the Pandemonium Drummers) - (Underworld)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoEuI59L9s8

Image
Attachments
artworks0..t500x500.jpg
artworks0..t500x500.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by warspite1 »

And so for my next track its time to for a bit of [best Barry White voice] lurve....[;)]

I need to have a sexy MF record in the 50. Many years ago that spot would go to Prince If I was Your Girlfriend and more latterly perhaps Simply Red It's only love. But two years ago I heard this track being played on a brilliant episode of The Affair. I immediately liked in and downloaded it straightaway. That liking has just grown and grown. This is simply beautiful, Ms Morrison has a voice at once, powerful yet soft, so intense, so Latin and just so damn ******* sexy [&o]

No.8 Azucar Morena - Carla Morrison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxCNd7nknyQ

Image
Attachments
maxresdefa..1024x576.jpg
maxresdefa..1024x576.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
bomccarthy
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm
Location: L.A.

RE: What music are you listening to now?

Post by bomccarthy »

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”