What music are you listening to now?
Moderator: maddog986
RE: What music are you listening to now?
I wonder if you can only listen to 50 toons would be a hindrance to earworms. Cause I've had several of them during the last couple of weeks. Among them this one made famous through a commercial. I actually recall the lyrics better from the bio commercial than the song itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikf-51u2tEY
Robin Beck-First Time coca cola 80s long version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikf-51u2tEY
Robin Beck-First Time coca cola 80s long version
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
RE: What music are you listening to now?
For my third choice I have to choose the greatest of all disco tracks. This song is just amazing - it makes people like me who have two left feet and can only 'dad dance' (and can't even do that well) just want to get on the dance floor.
But what makes this track so special - and it truly is special - is the enormous variety of sounds that come at you from every direction. This track has Michael Jackson's voice at its very silky smooth best and against this we have the superb music. I've no idea what instruments are making all the sounds but there seems to be the de riguer cow bells (what self respecting disco track doesn't have cow bells [:)]), strings, brass, drums, guitars. I just love changes of direction at the end of records, and while this doesn't exactly change direction, the last minute or so of the track is just a cacophony of wondrous sound assaulting the eardrums from all sides.
No.3. Michael Jackson - Don't stop 'til you get enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qQtSRmHxo

But what makes this track so special - and it truly is special - is the enormous variety of sounds that come at you from every direction. This track has Michael Jackson's voice at its very silky smooth best and against this we have the superb music. I've no idea what instruments are making all the sounds but there seems to be the de riguer cow bells (what self respecting disco track doesn't have cow bells [:)]), strings, brass, drums, guitars. I just love changes of direction at the end of records, and while this doesn't exactly change direction, the last minute or so of the track is just a cacophony of wondrous sound assaulting the eardrums from all sides.
No.3. Michael Jackson - Don't stop 'til you get enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qQtSRmHxo

- Attachments
-
- offthewall.jpg (133.13 KiB) Viewed 550 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: What music are you listening to now?
My second (and before warspite1 changes his mind....)
Evgeny Kissin - Pictures at an Exhibition : Modest Mussorgski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_Rsl7fjok&t=702s
The romantic fused with the Russian hammer. It is the music of a people who have suffered throughout their history and yet refuse to give up hope or succumb to despair. Written for piano though usually heard in it's orchestral form, Kissin's virtuosity is wondrous to behold.
Best wishes,
Steve
Evgeny Kissin - Pictures at an Exhibition : Modest Mussorgski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_Rsl7fjok&t=702s
The romantic fused with the Russian hammer. It is the music of a people who have suffered throughout their history and yet refuse to give up hope or succumb to despair. Written for piano though usually heard in it's orchestral form, Kissin's virtuosity is wondrous to behold.
Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
RE: What music are you listening to now?
If I was limited to 50 songs, I would insist on 50 all young, female groups, bands, and orchestras to do the music in person - especially with no other men around!
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: What music are you listening to now?
warspite1ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
If I was limited to 50 songs, I would insist on 50 all young, female groups, bands, and orchestras to do the music in person - especially with no other men around!
Well I'm glad to see the music is important to you.... [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: What music are you listening to now?
I'll play 
I like most music genres especially popular and jazz, but classical moves me most deeply.
These are simply my favorite recordings that I actually own. They are often longer than twenty minutes, but I'll count them in twenty minute sections rounded up.
There are youtube links where available in case anyone's interested in a particular recording.
Tchaikovsky Symphony No 5. Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra/Jansons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCoHUA8h5I
Actually I prefer the 6th symphony but this is my favorite Tchaikovsky recording that I own. The whole OPO/Jansons set is great.
Rachmaninov Cello Sonata in Gm - Paul Tortelier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afeoXtWWzg8
Beautiful piece, very expressive playing from a great artist.
Mahler Symphony No 4 / Cleveland Orchestra/Szell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhb0ztacM0
Not sure which is my favorite Mahler symphony, but this is definitely my favorite Mahler recording I own. I know I will like just about anything with Szell's name on it.
That's 8 points out of 50. Will certainly run out of points before favorite recordings.
I like most music genres especially popular and jazz, but classical moves me most deeply.
These are simply my favorite recordings that I actually own. They are often longer than twenty minutes, but I'll count them in twenty minute sections rounded up.
There are youtube links where available in case anyone's interested in a particular recording.
Tchaikovsky Symphony No 5. Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra/Jansons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCoHUA8h5I
Actually I prefer the 6th symphony but this is my favorite Tchaikovsky recording that I own. The whole OPO/Jansons set is great.
Rachmaninov Cello Sonata in Gm - Paul Tortelier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afeoXtWWzg8
Beautiful piece, very expressive playing from a great artist.
Mahler Symphony No 4 / Cleveland Orchestra/Szell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhb0ztacM0
Not sure which is my favorite Mahler symphony, but this is definitely my favorite Mahler recording I own. I know I will like just about anything with Szell's name on it.
That's 8 points out of 50. Will certainly run out of points before favorite recordings.
RE: What music are you listening to now?
My third...
Pink Floyd - Echoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn_s8Wh8jQ
Almost 50 years old and still as awesome as the first time I heard it. I never get tired of listening to Echoes. It takes me away.
Best wishes,
Steve
Pink Floyd - Echoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn_s8Wh8jQ
Almost 50 years old and still as awesome as the first time I heard it. I never get tired of listening to Echoes. It takes me away.
Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
RE: What music are you listening to now?
warspite1ORIGINAL: timmyab
I'll play
I like most music genres especially popular and jazz, but classical moves me most deeply.
These are simply my favorite recordings that I actually own. They are often longer than twenty minutes, but I'll count them in twenty minute sections rounded up.
There are youtube links where available in case anyone's interested in a particular recording.
Tchaikovsky Symphony No 5. Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra/Jansons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCoHUA8h5I
Actually I prefer the 6th symphony but this is my favorite Tchaikovsky recording that I own. The whole OPO/Jansons set is great.
Rachmaninov Cello Sonata in Gm - Paul Tortelier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afeoXtWWzg8
Beautiful piece, very expressive playing from a great artist.
Mahler Symphony No 4 / Cleveland Orchestra/Szell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhb0ztacM0
Not sure which is my favorite Mahler symphony, but this is definitely my favorite Mahler recording I own. I know I will like just about anything with Szell's name on it.
That's 8 points out of 50. Will certainly run out of points before favorite recordings.
Wow timmyab! You must have a real hard on for those pieces - that's almost 20% of all the music you will ever hear again....
I must admit I don't know (or at least I don't think I know) any of these, so will give them a listen in the coming days. Thanks for taking part.
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: What music are you listening to now?
warspite1ORIGINAL: shunwick
My third...
Pink Floyd - Echoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn_s8Wh8jQ
Almost 50 years old and still as awesome as the first time I heard it. I never get tired of listening to Echoes. It takes me away.
Best wishes,
Steve
Well shunwick ol' boy, you are certainly getting value for money time wise!! I am guessing with the Floyd and Yes, you perhaps have just a few years on me - pushing 60 perchance?
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: What music are you listening to now?
Well I am going to find this impossibly difficult as it is - hence the title - so I can't afford to give so many points away on full symphonies.
I may choose to add further movements to this symphony as its my favourite symphony from my favourite composer, but for now I will use 1 point on this beautiful movement from Beethoven's 6th. Not sure if I can count the III, IV or V, as one but they all roll into one for 18 and a half minutes of musical magnificence so I will count it [:)] If you won't allow me that then it will be V Allegretto.
No.4 Symphony No.6 in F Major (III, IV and V) - Beethoven (it's all one movement on my ipod so.....[:)])
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4g-FhqbVtQ
Why? Well its really very simple. V starts at about 9:30. It punches one in the mouth straight out of the box and leaves one prone on the floor, totally helpless - but that is not even the best bit. While still trying to recover and get to one's feet, what comes along at about 13:30 has one quickly assuming the foetal position and blubbing uncontrollably like a baby.
It simply doesn't matter how many times I hear this - I am reduced to tears every time. Those strings..... wow.
As Tina Turner said of him over 200 years later, You're simply the best

I may choose to add further movements to this symphony as its my favourite symphony from my favourite composer, but for now I will use 1 point on this beautiful movement from Beethoven's 6th. Not sure if I can count the III, IV or V, as one but they all roll into one for 18 and a half minutes of musical magnificence so I will count it [:)] If you won't allow me that then it will be V Allegretto.
No.4 Symphony No.6 in F Major (III, IV and V) - Beethoven (it's all one movement on my ipod so.....[:)])
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4g-FhqbVtQ
Why? Well its really very simple. V starts at about 9:30. It punches one in the mouth straight out of the box and leaves one prone on the floor, totally helpless - but that is not even the best bit. While still trying to recover and get to one's feet, what comes along at about 13:30 has one quickly assuming the foetal position and blubbing uncontrollably like a baby.
It simply doesn't matter how many times I hear this - I am reduced to tears every time. Those strings..... wow.
As Tina Turner said of him over 200 years later, You're simply the best

- Attachments
-
- portraitL..Stieler.jpg (178.22 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: What music are you listening to now?
The Look of Love by Isaac Hayes
Album: To be Continued (Enterprise Records, 1970)
Music written by Burt Bacharach (1967)
Image: Isaac Hayes by Stax Museum of American Soul Music
Video: Dead Presidents (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGRai734w0

Album: To be Continued (Enterprise Records, 1970)
Music written by Burt Bacharach (1967)
Image: Isaac Hayes by Stax Museum of American Soul Music
Video: Dead Presidents (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGRai734w0

- Attachments
-
- The Look o..ac Hayes.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Semper fidelis
RE: What music are you listening to now?
For my fifth choice (10% of the way through already!!) I have to choose what is rapidly turning into perhaps my favourite track ever. I only really found this version about 5 or 6 years ago but remains firmly at the top of my playlist.
I liked this track when sung by Celine Dion - although the same can't be said for the POS film that it came from - it was nothing hugely special but a very good track. But then I heard Sarah Brightman sing it....in Italian.... with a proper orchestral background and........
The thing with this track is that it's binary; you either love it unconditionally or you have no more right to live on god's clean earth than a weasel.
Her delicate, yet powerful cut glass voice is a big, big plus here (and sadly knocks a more than competent songstress like Ms Dion into a cocked hat. But its the orchestra that slays me. Normally I am a strings man, but more and more I've come to appreciate the quality of the brass section. So unbelievably sad, yet uplifting its just intoxicating and once again the tears are not far behind (you know I really need to man up.... or get a bigger box of Kleenex....).
If you don't believe me then just listen to around the 2:55 mark. The piece goes quiet, just a melancholy woodwind(?) instrument that introduces the brass that just takes an already incredible piece of music into the stratosphere at around 3:15 - accompanied by Ms Brightman giving it full beans and then the timpani(?) at 3:35. Ecstasy.
No.5 Il Mio Cuore Va - Sarah Brightman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNDM_CM03wc

I liked this track when sung by Celine Dion - although the same can't be said for the POS film that it came from - it was nothing hugely special but a very good track. But then I heard Sarah Brightman sing it....in Italian.... with a proper orchestral background and........
The thing with this track is that it's binary; you either love it unconditionally or you have no more right to live on god's clean earth than a weasel.
Her delicate, yet powerful cut glass voice is a big, big plus here (and sadly knocks a more than competent songstress like Ms Dion into a cocked hat. But its the orchestra that slays me. Normally I am a strings man, but more and more I've come to appreciate the quality of the brass section. So unbelievably sad, yet uplifting its just intoxicating and once again the tears are not far behind (you know I really need to man up.... or get a bigger box of Kleenex....).
If you don't believe me then just listen to around the 2:55 mark. The piece goes quiet, just a melancholy woodwind(?) instrument that introduces the brass that just takes an already incredible piece of music into the stratosphere at around 3:15 - accompanied by Ms Brightman giving it full beans and then the timpani(?) at 3:35. Ecstasy.
No.5 Il Mio Cuore Va - Sarah Brightman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNDM_CM03wc

- Attachments
-
- Sarah-Brig..-charity.jpg (283.6 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: What music are you listening to now?
Ah yes, I remember being 60.... good times.ORIGINAL: warspite1
warspite1ORIGINAL: shunwick
My third...
Pink Floyd - Echoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn_s8Wh8jQ
Almost 50 years old and still as awesome as the first time I heard it. I never get tired of listening to Echoes. It takes me away.
Well shunwick ol' boy, you are certainly getting value for money time wise!! I am guessing with the Floyd and Yes, you perhaps have just a few years on me - pushing 60 perchance?
I see I have some catching up to do as you forge ahead.
My fourth...
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaFBNvhceA
My fifth...
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OtzJtp-EM
Best wishes,
Steve
Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
RE: What music are you listening to now?
having spent 5 hours today trying to call Barclays Bamk can I nominate their awful music as my most listened to so far this year
RE: What music are you listening to now?
My seventh...
Fairport Convention - She Moves Through The Fair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTb0_TfUnEk
Sandy Denny at her finest. Haunting and beautiful, is it any wonder why I fell in love with it all those years ago?
Best wishes,
Steve
Fairport Convention - She Moves Through The Fair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTb0_TfUnEk
Sandy Denny at her finest. Haunting and beautiful, is it any wonder why I fell in love with it all those years ago?
Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
RE: What music are you listening to now?
Okay to the next on the list...
..and this time its a Scottish band and this is the only song of theirs I've ever heard of. But what a stonking toooon it is. Actually quite a sad toon, I love this (surprise surprise) because of the wonderfully high pitched string sound that features regularly throughout the track. But there is a rich variety of sounds (the piano especially) and the number of changes of direction. I've no idea what the song is about, but the song title adds to the overall sense of sadness.
No.6 Tinseltown in the Rain - The Blue Nile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxkbe2MLkgg

..and this time its a Scottish band and this is the only song of theirs I've ever heard of. But what a stonking toooon it is. Actually quite a sad toon, I love this (surprise surprise) because of the wonderfully high pitched string sound that features regularly throughout the track. But there is a rich variety of sounds (the piano especially) and the number of changes of direction. I've no idea what the song is about, but the song title adds to the overall sense of sadness.
No.6 Tinseltown in the Rain - The Blue Nile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxkbe2MLkgg

- Attachments
-
- 81SRrXHp9HL._SS500_.jpg (37.85 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: What music are you listening to now?
No! No! The Blue Nile is a book!ORIGINAL: warspite1
Okay to the next on the list...
..and this time its a Scottish band and this is the only song of theirs I've ever heard of. But what a stonking toooon it is. Actually quite a sad toon, I love this (surprise surprise) because of the wonderfully high pitched string sound that features regularly throughout the track. But there is a rich variety of sounds (the piano especially) and the number of changes of direction. I've no idea what the song is about, but the song title adds to the overall sense of sadness.
Tinseltown in the Rain - The Blue Nile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxkbe2MLkgg
![]()

- Attachments
-
- BlueNile.jpg (25.18 KiB) Viewed 553 times
RE: What music are you listening to now?
Time for some more value for money - over 17 minutes of mayhem!! For my next track I choose the outstanding piece from the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in London 2012.
Where do I even start with this? From the relentless drumming that features for the majority of the track to the hypnotic chanting, the sombre whistling in memory of the fallen in two World Wars, and then the building up into just a superb crescendo of noise - only max volume will do here. I adore the faux bells (nice touch) sound that appears many times and of course those strings. From 12 minutes on the track really gets into its stride. The brass chimes in at just after 14 minutes, after which there are just so many things going on its difficult to know what to concentrate on. Wonderful. And my eldest warspite played on this too [:)]
No.7 And I will Kiss (feat Dame Evelyn Glennie and the Pandemonium Drummers) - (Underworld)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoEuI59L9s8

Where do I even start with this? From the relentless drumming that features for the majority of the track to the hypnotic chanting, the sombre whistling in memory of the fallen in two World Wars, and then the building up into just a superb crescendo of noise - only max volume will do here. I adore the faux bells (nice touch) sound that appears many times and of course those strings. From 12 minutes on the track really gets into its stride. The brass chimes in at just after 14 minutes, after which there are just so many things going on its difficult to know what to concentrate on. Wonderful. And my eldest warspite played on this too [:)]
No.7 And I will Kiss (feat Dame Evelyn Glennie and the Pandemonium Drummers) - (Underworld)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoEuI59L9s8

- Attachments
-
- artworks0..t500x500.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: What music are you listening to now?
And so for my next track its time to for a bit of [best Barry White voice] lurve....[;)]
I need to have a sexy MF record in the 50. Many years ago that spot would go to Prince If I was Your Girlfriend and more latterly perhaps Simply Red It's only love. But two years ago I heard this track being played on a brilliant episode of The Affair. I immediately liked in and downloaded it straightaway. That liking has just grown and grown. This is simply beautiful, Ms Morrison has a voice at once, powerful yet soft, so intense, so Latin and just so damn ******* sexy [&o]
No.8 Azucar Morena - Carla Morrison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxCNd7nknyQ

I need to have a sexy MF record in the 50. Many years ago that spot would go to Prince If I was Your Girlfriend and more latterly perhaps Simply Red It's only love. But two years ago I heard this track being played on a brilliant episode of The Affair. I immediately liked in and downloaded it straightaway. That liking has just grown and grown. This is simply beautiful, Ms Morrison has a voice at once, powerful yet soft, so intense, so Latin and just so damn ******* sexy [&o]
No.8 Azucar Morena - Carla Morrison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxCNd7nknyQ

- Attachments
-
- maxresdefa..1024x576.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
- bomccarthy
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm
- Location: L.A.





