Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Ceylon surprise

Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (403.02 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Afternoon raid...



Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (93.15 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Mersing

Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (412.78 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Good attack in China.

Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (468.63 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

I accidentally left an engineer unit on deliberate attack...the odds of the attack were 1-11, but we knocked forts down a level...so it all is good.



Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (87.85 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Clearing the road to Sian...

Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (545.21 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Race for Rabaul…

I suspect the American Carriers will use mission speed today, since only one small task force of two ships is spotted and that with only a 2/2 dl. I believe those carriers used a flank speed run this day...they can't have that much left in them, and if they use another flank speed run, they will certainly be in very dangerous fuel situation...which means that there must be ships coming up from Oz or NZ to refuel them...

Akagi is on her way, but she is six hexes above Ulithi and going to be refueled today. That sounds far away, but it is 34 hexes to Rabaul...only one hex further than the American Carriers.





Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (482.43 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Not sure what caused the Nishimi Maru to sink off Guam, which was invaded, as well as Hollandia, Miri conquered and the rail line to Shanghai cleared all the way to Manchuko…
Nishimi Maru likely hit rocks during the landings. Usually if it is a mine or collision you get more notification of the event.

I am watching the replays pretty closely, and normally there is a screen popup for those situations. Didn't see one. In my game against Jocke I lost like four good Yusen to grounding -- one or two in Alaska.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Losses reported for the day...

Manchuko garrison at 8545 today.



Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (167.82 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Where is Hermes and Exeter and their friends?



Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (139.06 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Any questions, comments let me know...off to do NJP's turn.

User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20769
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I wish I understood the mechanics of avoiding and escaping from naval combat better...

Image
No definitive answer, but I suspect weather and the quality of the TF captains play into the algorithm, along with a very lucky die roll! Looks like Bittern provided a smokescreen too.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I wish I understood the mechanics of avoiding and escaping from naval combat better...
No definitive answer, but I suspect weather and the quality of the TF captains play into the algorithm, along with a very lucky die roll! Looks like Bittern provided a smokescreen too.

Escort mode is certainly the best from my anecdotal experience...but the rest I guess is DL. This task force was almost immediately reengaged and sunk.

BTW, there is 700 AV at Colombo using the rule of 30.[X(]
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

One last post...this is the Chinese Corp that just suffered 500+ squads destroyed, it is still listed at 21,480 troops!

Always thought there was a fair bit of FOW in ground battle reports, and of course there can be lag in intel reports.



Image
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (210.94 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Alfred
Posts: 6683
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I wish I understood the mechanics of avoiding and escaping from naval combat better...
No definitive answer, but I suspect weather and the quality of the TF captains play into the algorithm, along with a very lucky die roll! Looks like Bittern provided a smokescreen too.

Escort mode is certainly the best from my anecdotal experience...but the rest I guess is DL. This task force was almost immediately reengaged and sunk.

BTW, there is 700 AV at Colombo using the rule of 30.[X(]

Read my post in this thread

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... age=1&key=?

for the factors taken into account for a TF to attempt to evade combat. As you can see it is very much under the hood stuff.

Alfred
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy



No definitive answer, but I suspect weather and the quality of the TF captains play into the algorithm, along with a very lucky die roll! Looks like Bittern provided a smokescreen too.

Escort mode is certainly the best from my anecdotal experience...but the rest I guess is DL. This task force was almost immediately reengaged and sunk.

BTW, there is 700 AV at Colombo using the rule of 30.[X(]

Read my post in this thread

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... age=1&key=?

for the factors taken into account for a TF to attempt to evade combat. As you can see it is very much under the hood stuff.

Alfred

Thank you Alfred but there is another possibility that Lowpe would have to check on:

Did the combat move to the next hex? I have seen running fights like that where a TF evades combat only to have the other TF react and combat begins anew. Sometimes even surprising the TF that is had just been in combat with. I don't know of any discussion on this but it does seem plausible to me.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20769
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: Lowpe




Escort mode is certainly the best from my anecdotal experience...but the rest I guess is DL. This task force was almost immediately reengaged and sunk.

BTW, there is 700 AV at Colombo using the rule of 30.[X(]

Read my post in this thread

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... age=1&key=?

for the factors taken into account for a TF to attempt to evade combat. As you can see it is very much under the hood stuff.

Alfred

Thank you Alfred but there is another possibility that Lowpe would have to check on:

Did the combat move to the next hex? I have seen running fights like that where a TF evades combat only to have the other TF react and combat begins anew. Sometimes even surprising the TF that is had just been in combat with. I don't know of any discussion on this but it does seem plausible to me.
I just had a US SCTF react three times in the same turn to the same enemy TF, engaging for significant shooting by both sides followed by the IJ disengaging and moving a hex away. The US TF had FPs on naval search both day and night for a radius of 3 night and 5 day. After the third engagement the US TF was out of ammo and only a couple of damaged IJ DDs remained afloat - CVL Ryujo and four other DDs bought the farm. Then the air phase started and the Lexington TF finished off the DDs with a few bombs.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by RangerJoe »

So the CVL and four DDs retired and became farmers? [X(] Interesting . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20769
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

So the CVL and four DDs retired and became farmers? [X(] Interesting . . .
That would be Davy Jones' farm ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Did the combat move to the next hex?

Two running combats that fit that narrative...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Iwo-jima at 101,82, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu
TB Sagi

Allied Ships
AM Tanager, Shell hits 3, on fire


Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 35% moonlight: 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
BB Mutsu engages AM Tanager at 8,000 yards
TB Sagi engages AM Tanager at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
BB Mutsu engages AM Tanager at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
BB Mutsu engages AM Tanager at 10,000 yards
TB Sagi engages AM Tanager at 10,000 yards
BB Mutsu engages AM Tanager at 10,000 yards
TB Sagi engages AM Tanager at 10,000 yards
Allied Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Iwo-jima at 102,82, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu
TB Sagi

Allied Ships
AM Tanager, on fire


Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 35% moonlight: 12,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
AM Tanager engages TB Sagi at 10,000 yards
Kogure, Gunji* orders Japanese TF to disengage
Range closes to 9,000 yards
AM Tanager engages TB Sagi at 9,000 yards
AM Tanager engages TB Sagi at 9,000 yards
Task forces break off...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Daito Shoto at 94,79, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Ashigara
CL Natori
CL Kuma
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Nagatsuki
DD Harukaze
DD Hatakaze

Allied Ships
AM Bittern, Shell hits 2, on fire
xAK Yu Sang


Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 35% moonlight: 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 9,000 yards
Allied TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages AM Bittern at 10,000 yards
CL Kuma engages AM Bittern at 10,000 yards
DD Minazuki engages AM Bittern at 10,000 yards
Allied Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Daito Shoto at 95,79, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Ashigara
CL Natori
CL Kuma
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Nagatsuki
DD Harukaze
DD Hatakaze

Allied Ships
AM Bittern, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Yu Sang, Shell hits 9, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk


Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 35% moonlight: 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages AM Bittern at 11,000 yards
DD Minazuki engages xAK Yu Sang at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages AM Bittern at 8,000 yards
CL Kuma engages AM Bittern at 8,000 yards
DD Hatakaze engages xAK Yu Sang at 8,000 yards
DD Nagatsuki engages xAK Yu Sang at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages AM Bittern at 5,000 yards
CL Kuma engages AM Bittern at 5,000 yards
DD Hatakaze engages xAK Yu Sang at 5,000 yards
xAK Yu Sang sunk by DD Nagatsuki at 5,000 yards
xAK Yu Sang sunk by DD Nagatsuki at 5,000 yards
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”