
Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Ceylon surprise


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (403.02 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Afternoon raid...


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (93.15 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Mersing


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (412.78 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Good attack in China.


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (468.63 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
I accidentally left an engineer unit on deliberate attack...the odds of the attack were 1-11, but we knocked forts down a level...so it all is good.


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (87.85 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Clearing the road to Sian...


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (545.21 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Race for Rabaul…
I suspect the American Carriers will use mission speed today, since only one small task force of two ships is spotted and that with only a 2/2 dl. I believe those carriers used a flank speed run this day...they can't have that much left in them, and if they use another flank speed run, they will certainly be in very dangerous fuel situation...which means that there must be ships coming up from Oz or NZ to refuel them...
Akagi is on her way, but she is six hexes above Ulithi and going to be refueled today. That sounds far away, but it is 34 hexes to Rabaul...only one hex further than the American Carriers.

I suspect the American Carriers will use mission speed today, since only one small task force of two ships is spotted and that with only a 2/2 dl. I believe those carriers used a flank speed run this day...they can't have that much left in them, and if they use another flank speed run, they will certainly be in very dangerous fuel situation...which means that there must be ships coming up from Oz or NZ to refuel them...
Akagi is on her way, but she is six hexes above Ulithi and going to be refueled today. That sounds far away, but it is 34 hexes to Rabaul...only one hex further than the American Carriers.

- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (482.43 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Nishimi Maru likely hit rocks during the landings. Usually if it is a mine or collision you get more notification of the event.ORIGINAL: Lowpe
Not sure what caused the Nishimi Maru to sink off Guam, which was invaded, as well as Hollandia, Miri conquered and the rail line to Shanghai cleared all the way to Manchuko…
I am watching the replays pretty closely, and normally there is a screen popup for those situations. Didn't see one. In my game against Jocke I lost like four good Yusen to grounding -- one or two in Alaska.
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Losses reported for the day...
Manchuko garrison at 8545 today.

Manchuko garrison at 8545 today.

- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (167.82 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Where is Hermes and Exeter and their friends?


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (139.06 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Any questions, comments let me know...off to do NJP's turn.
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
No definitive answer, but I suspect weather and the quality of the TF captains play into the algorithm, along with a very lucky die roll! Looks like Bittern provided a smokescreen too.ORIGINAL: Lowpe
I wish I understood the mechanics of avoiding and escaping from naval combat better...
![]()
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
No definitive answer, but I suspect weather and the quality of the TF captains play into the algorithm, along with a very lucky die roll! Looks like Bittern provided a smokescreen too.ORIGINAL: Lowpe
I wish I understood the mechanics of avoiding and escaping from naval combat better...
Escort mode is certainly the best from my anecdotal experience...but the rest I guess is DL. This task force was almost immediately reengaged and sunk.
BTW, there is 700 AV at Colombo using the rule of 30.[X(]
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
One last post...this is the Chinese Corp that just suffered 500+ squads destroyed, it is still listed at 21,480 troops!
Always thought there was a fair bit of FOW in ground battle reports, and of course there can be lag in intel reports.

Always thought there was a fair bit of FOW in ground battle reports, and of course there can be lag in intel reports.

- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (210.94 KiB) Viewed 405 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
No definitive answer, but I suspect weather and the quality of the TF captains play into the algorithm, along with a very lucky die roll! Looks like Bittern provided a smokescreen too.ORIGINAL: Lowpe
I wish I understood the mechanics of avoiding and escaping from naval combat better...
Escort mode is certainly the best from my anecdotal experience...but the rest I guess is DL. This task force was almost immediately reengaged and sunk.
BTW, there is 700 AV at Colombo using the rule of 30.[X(]
Read my post in this thread
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... age=1&key=?
for the factors taken into account for a TF to attempt to evade combat. As you can see it is very much under the hood stuff.
Alfred
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
ORIGINAL: Alfred
ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
No definitive answer, but I suspect weather and the quality of the TF captains play into the algorithm, along with a very lucky die roll! Looks like Bittern provided a smokescreen too.
Escort mode is certainly the best from my anecdotal experience...but the rest I guess is DL. This task force was almost immediately reengaged and sunk.
BTW, there is 700 AV at Colombo using the rule of 30.[X(]
Read my post in this thread
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... age=1&key=?
for the factors taken into account for a TF to attempt to evade combat. As you can see it is very much under the hood stuff.
Alfred
Thank you Alfred but there is another possibility that Lowpe would have to check on:
Did the combat move to the next hex? I have seen running fights like that where a TF evades combat only to have the other TF react and combat begins anew. Sometimes even surprising the TF that is had just been in combat with. I don't know of any discussion on this but it does seem plausible to me.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
I just had a US SCTF react three times in the same turn to the same enemy TF, engaging for significant shooting by both sides followed by the IJ disengaging and moving a hex away. The US TF had FPs on naval search both day and night for a radius of 3 night and 5 day. After the third engagement the US TF was out of ammo and only a couple of damaged IJ DDs remained afloat - CVL Ryujo and four other DDs bought the farm. Then the air phase started and the Lexington TF finished off the DDs with a few bombs.ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
ORIGINAL: Alfred
ORIGINAL: Lowpe
Escort mode is certainly the best from my anecdotal experience...but the rest I guess is DL. This task force was almost immediately reengaged and sunk.
BTW, there is 700 AV at Colombo using the rule of 30.[X(]
Read my post in this thread
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... age=1&key=?
for the factors taken into account for a TF to attempt to evade combat. As you can see it is very much under the hood stuff.
Alfred
Thank you Alfred but there is another possibility that Lowpe would have to check on:
Did the combat move to the next hex? I have seen running fights like that where a TF evades combat only to have the other TF react and combat begins anew. Sometimes even surprising the TF that is had just been in combat with. I don't know of any discussion on this but it does seem plausible to me.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
So the CVL and four DDs retired and became farmers? [X(] Interesting . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
That would be Davy Jones' farm ...ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
So the CVL and four DDs retired and became farmers? [X(] Interesting . . .
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
Did the combat move to the next hex?
Two running combats that fit that narrative...
Night Time Surface Combat, near Iwo-jima at 101,82, Range 12,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu
TB Sagi
Allied Ships
AM Tanager, Shell hits 3, on fire
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 35% moonlight: 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
BB Mutsu engages AM Tanager at 8,000 yards
TB Sagi engages AM Tanager at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
BB Mutsu engages AM Tanager at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
BB Mutsu engages AM Tanager at 10,000 yards
TB Sagi engages AM Tanager at 10,000 yards
BB Mutsu engages AM Tanager at 10,000 yards
TB Sagi engages AM Tanager at 10,000 yards
Allied Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Iwo-jima at 102,82, Range 10,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu
TB Sagi
Allied Ships
AM Tanager, on fire
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 35% moonlight: 12,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
AM Tanager engages TB Sagi at 10,000 yards
Kogure, Gunji* orders Japanese TF to disengage
Range closes to 9,000 yards
AM Tanager engages TB Sagi at 9,000 yards
AM Tanager engages TB Sagi at 9,000 yards
Task forces break off...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Daito Shoto at 94,79, Range 10,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CA Ashigara
CL Natori
CL Kuma
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Nagatsuki
DD Harukaze
DD Hatakaze
Allied Ships
AM Bittern, Shell hits 2, on fire
xAK Yu Sang
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 35% moonlight: 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 9,000 yards
Allied TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages AM Bittern at 10,000 yards
CL Kuma engages AM Bittern at 10,000 yards
DD Minazuki engages AM Bittern at 10,000 yards
Allied Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Daito Shoto at 95,79, Range 12,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CA Ashigara
CL Natori
CL Kuma
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Nagatsuki
DD Harukaze
DD Hatakaze
Allied Ships
AM Bittern, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Yu Sang, Shell hits 9, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 35% moonlight: 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages AM Bittern at 11,000 yards
DD Minazuki engages xAK Yu Sang at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages AM Bittern at 8,000 yards
CL Kuma engages AM Bittern at 8,000 yards
DD Hatakaze engages xAK Yu Sang at 8,000 yards
DD Nagatsuki engages xAK Yu Sang at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages AM Bittern at 5,000 yards
CL Kuma engages AM Bittern at 5,000 yards
DD Hatakaze engages xAK Yu Sang at 5,000 yards
xAK Yu Sang sunk by DD Nagatsuki at 5,000 yards
xAK Yu Sang sunk by DD Nagatsuki at 5,000 yards
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...


