Well, I should have listened. I thought I could. I KNEW I could...but I was wrong. Sent the entire Pacific Fleet and two Marine Divisions against Shortland after a long and intense bombing campaign. My boys are getting shot up on the beach and almost my entire merchant marine is on the bottom

The 1st Marine Headquarters is down to 70 men

The Japs had 60,000 troops on the island and a fortress at 9

Well, we've got that down to 7 and I may end up taking the island but at what a cost!
Furthur to the plane issue at one point I had 98 Wildcats on CAP above the fleet and they were attacked by 18 zeroes. What's that 5 to 1? Well each side took 8 losses. Doesn't seem right.
Hey, is there anyway to transfer troops from transports to LST's. I thought about this later. That would have alowed me to keep my transports a hex away and move the troops in on those. Is this possible. Am I an idiot?
More later...