Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
I read recently on this Board that their are to be no Pourpose built Japanese Kamakise Types, and Units, in the Game, if this is corect Why is this?

SCW Beta Support Team
Beta Team Member for:
WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE
Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
Kamakise
"Kamikaze" missions, the player has control over which air groups will preform this type of mission. There would be a lot of kicking & screaming on this forum if the player didn't have control of what missions could be flown by newly arrived airgroups.
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
Ya I understand that, but their were Lots of Kamakisie units formed for this express use, with planes expresely built for this mishion, like the Ki 115, and many other convershions, these types had large bombloads, larger than most of the lash up's, and represented a signafagant amount of production.

SCW Beta Support Team
Beta Team Member for:
WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE
Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
You have control over production (Japanese player), you have control over the mission types (including Kamikaze) used by the air groups. I'm not sure I see the problem here. Look either the player or the computer is in control of airgroups and the missions they preform. Do you really want the computer be in control of all air groups and limit the type of missions they perform?
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
You only have a limited abality to effect what units get what planes, upgrade paths are set in stone, and producing more of a certain type of plane does not mean more units will convert to it. Also As I understand it Their are No pourpos built Kamakise planes in the Game, like the Ki-115 as an example, it is not in the OOB, or this is what I have been lead to beleave. What I want to know is why.

SCW Beta Support Team
Beta Team Member for:
WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE
Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Ki-115
Hi Brady only 105 of these flying dumpsters were produced. It would be madness to build them on purpose in WITP. They would only be of use defending the Home Islands because the groups cannot air transfer and it's doubtfull you could ship any to another base.
The Ki-115 was a purpose-built, cheapie kamikaze aircraft. Designed to do no more than take its pilot and bomb to the target, it was built of non-strategic materials (wood) and had minimal instrumentation. The landing gear was unsprung and designed to fall away after take-off. The pilot and his bomb were then to proceed to the target. Normally those kamikaze pilots who flew standard aircraft were able to return if the target was not found or the weather was poor. How the Ki-115 pilots were supposed to land if conditions for bombing were unfavorable is not totally understood
This gizmo is not going to impact the war.
The Ki-115 was a purpose-built, cheapie kamikaze aircraft. Designed to do no more than take its pilot and bomb to the target, it was built of non-strategic materials (wood) and had minimal instrumentation. The landing gear was unsprung and designed to fall away after take-off. The pilot and his bomb were then to proceed to the target. Normally those kamikaze pilots who flew standard aircraft were able to return if the target was not found or the weather was poor. How the Ki-115 pilots were supposed to land if conditions for bombing were unfavorable is not totally understood
This gizmo is not going to impact the war.
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
What I want to know is why.
No matter how much detail there will finally be in WitP, they will never be able to fit in every piece of hardware that conceivably might have been used by one or another of the Pacific War combatants. It is clear from other threads that one of the major constraints is the number of slots available for different types of aircraft. One person may see this as regrettable, since it means that not every aircraft that might have flown between 1941 and 1946 will be available; another person may see this as a blessing, since it means that he will not be faced with an overwhelming number of choices. But regardless of whether one sees it as a good thing or a bad one, it seems clear that this limitation is not going to disappear, that for good or ill the game engine incorporates into its design the use of a database that limits the available choices in the way described. Choose your causes with care; I'm afraid most of them are lost before you start.
Fear the kitten!
-
sven6345789
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:45 am
- Location: Sandviken, Sweden
RE: Ki-115
They were not supposed to come back. If you flew on a kamikaze- mission, and survived, you were disgraced.
And we were allied with those guys...
And we were allied with those guys...
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.
Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
RE: Ki-115
Its not clear to me that everyone understands that your can convert some of you air groups into Kamikaze groups under the right conditions. Also, if Japan is invaded militia units will start to appear in large numbers.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


RE: Ki-115
Hi, Do you you do a transfer to a new base? These aircraft are only good for defending the Home Islands (rather unlikely anyone will ever invade Japan it's self)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
- LargeSlowTarget
- Posts: 5083
- Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France
RE: Ki-115
ORIGINAL: sven6345789
They were not supposed to come back. If you flew on a kamikaze- mission, and survived, you were disgraced.
And we were allied with those guys...
This last remark sounds rather pejorative, no? Bear in mind that many Kamikaze pilots didn't volunteer but were ordered to fly one-way missions. It's only human that not everybody was ready for this. The Nazi leaders were impressed by the fight-to-the-death tenacity of the Japanese and wished the German soldiers would show the same quality. For example, Nazi Germany not only imported resources from Japan, but also a theater piece called 'The tale of the 47 Ronin', a story about loyalty to the death, in order to 'inspire' the Germans. [8|]
What comes to my mind in this context - someone here familiar the 'Adolf' comics by Walter Moers? "The Japs *grrr*, the Japs - because of a mere atomic bomb or two they throw the towel!" ["De Japse *grrr*, de Japse - wegen ein, zwei läppischen Atombomben schmeißen se das Handtuch!"] The comics are hilarious ('May we make jokes about the Nazis? No - we must!'), don't know whether they have been translated.
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
ORIGINAL: Brady
I read recently on this Board that their are to be no Pourpose built Japanese Kamakise Types, and Units, in the Game, if this is corect Why is this?
Porpoises didn't have any factories.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
I understand theier were only a hundred or so of them made, but their production was stoped because the war ended, and could of gone on... But I see your point.

SCW Beta Support Team
Beta Team Member for:
WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE
Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
Does anyone else love this post as much as I do? Brady, my man, you are priceless. As Sherlock Holmes said about Watson, "I never get your depths."
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
I always read Brady's posts, it is required reading since Gary Larson retired.[:D]
Brady my man...you just keep posting!
#1 ticket holder of the Brady fanboy club.
Brady my man...you just keep posting!
#1 ticket holder of the Brady fanboy club.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
- DoomedMantis
- Posts: 1357
- Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: Sydney, Australia
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
ah but does he do it purpose?
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.
- Shakespeare
- Shakespeare
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
Maybe this has been brought up before, but is the Ohka Bomb (Yokosuka MXY-7) in the game? That was a "purpose built" Kamikaze and hundreds were built. They actually saw action in the Okinawa campaign and did some damage. I cannot see it in any other role besides Kamikaze due to its range.
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
ORIGINAL: jnier
Maybe this has been brought up before, but is the Ohka Bomb (Yokosuka MXY-7) in the game? That was a "purpose built" Kamikaze and hundreds were built. They actually saw action in the Okinawa campaign and did some damage. I cannot see it in any other role besides Kamikaze due to its range.
Yes it is, as a weapon not an aircraft type. This is from the WitP Editor post:
The ohka bomb needs to be in slot 197
How you tell your Betty and Francis groups to carry it I don't know. [&:] Testers can you answer this?
Gunner's Mate: A Boatswain's Mate with a hunting license.
-
sven6345789
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:45 am
- Location: Sandviken, Sweden
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
guess it will work the same like in pacwar.
If you have a Betty-group on a specific date, the group will probably will have an additional mission available like "Okha-attack" or the like. This would be like giving the naval attack order, only with an Okha instead of a Torpedo.
If you have a Betty-group on a specific date, the group will probably will have an additional mission available like "Okha-attack" or the like. This would be like giving the naval attack order, only with an Okha instead of a Torpedo.
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.
Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
RE: Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?
ORIGINAL: sven6345789
guess it will work the same like in pacwar.
If you have a Betty-group on a specific date, the group will probably will have an additional mission available like "Okha-attack" or the like. This would be like giving the naval attack order, only with an Okha instead of a Torpedo.
I haven't seen a full test yet of the Ohka in the game but I'm fairly sure that it is carried only by the aircraft type G4M2e.
When set to Naval Strike, those units equipped with that model of the Betty will use the Ohka instead of a torp (I assume for normal range Naval Strike only).
The G4M2e becomes available for production Oct '44 (possibly earlier if R&D'd). The first unit already equipped with it arrives in Nov '44.
There may also be some availablilty restrictions on the Okha weapon itself but I don't know the details.
Have no fear,
drink more beer.
drink more beer.






