It did turn out to be a nice little attack. I did learn (again) that some of the carriers in MKB have little staying power. The CVEs Taiyo and Unyo have 90 sorties and Ryujo has little more. I'm going to pull one of the CVEs out and replace the DB naval bombing pilots with naval search or ASW pilots. That CVE will become an escort for the Tonan Whalers. I'll probably do something similar with the other CVE. Not sure what she'll escort yet though.PaxMondo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:05 pmActually, .... NO. I think it a great idea and would likely do the same with similar circumstances ... Ted can't know whether this is the MKB or the KB unless he gets a solid spotting on you. So, I think it a great use ....Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:12 pm Some of you may be asking why I'm "risking" MKB on a wild goose chase to get some cargo ships, a tanker and a few old DDs?
![]()
![]()
![]()
Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16718
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16718
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
Thanks. I need to pick up that book.sfatula wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:12 pm1st Battalion, D Company. The book Beyond the Beachhead was written by a guy in his company, Bob Slaughter. I met him and the few other survivors many times at an annual reunion. Great guys.Mike Solli wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:47 amOMG! That's amazing. Which company? I'm really interested in doing a little research on that. He landed in the first wave at Omaha Beach.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
Those CVEs could also carry just fighters for defensive purposes.Mike Solli wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 3:45 amIt did turn out to be a nice little attack. I did learn (again) that some of the carriers in MKB have little staying power. The CVEs Taiyo and Unyo have 90 sorties and Ryujo has little more. I'm going to pull one of the CVEs out and replace the DB naval bombing pilots with naval search or ASW pilots. That CVE will become an escort for the Tonan Whalers. I'll probably do something similar with the other CVE. Not sure what she'll escort yet though.PaxMondo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:05 pmActually, .... NO. I think it a great idea and would likely do the same with similar circumstances ... Ted can't know whether this is the MKB or the KB unless he gets a solid spotting on you. So, I think it a great use ....Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:12 pm Some of you may be asking why I'm "risking" MKB on a wild goose chase to get some cargo ships, a tanker and a few old DDs?
![]()
![]()
![]()
They could also be stationed at a base with an AKE and used for ASW work as well, moving as needed but being protected by minefields and ASW TFs as well as their own escorts. That could be useful to saturate an area to eliminate the submarines. As far as carrying the resources and oil all of the way to Japan, just bypass Singapore and let the magic highway do its job.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
IIRC both of those CVE's can carry 27 planes. I put just fighters on them with sometimes a few ASW planes for the MKB TF. As you note, 90 sorties is so few attacks and then port. Anyway with the Taiyo class loaded with fighters, the Junyo and her sister can carry heavier attack groups. 2 x 27 fighters is a BIG deal for the MKB. Can't tangle with more than a couple USN CV's, but that's not their task. It protects them from an LBA raid pretty much, which is far more likely, and allows them to raid the convoy lanes ...Mike Solli wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 3:45 am ... I did learn (again) that some of the carriers in MKB have little staying power. The CVEs Taiyo and Unyo have 90 sorties and Ryujo has little more. ...
On the Junyo's I vary the loadouts there between mostly DB to all TB. TB's at 6000 ft or so bombing can get really big hits, and if they choose 800kg bombs, a hit is a kill on almost all AK or DD class ships. If they choose torps, that's fine too. This is how I "finish train" up my TB pilots ... I can get them up to mid-70's and then move them to KB ... I never, ever have enough TB pilots. NavTorp/NabBomb takes a so much time to train.
EDIT: Just read RJ's post and he suggests the same thing for the Taiyo class: all fighters.
Pax
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16718
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
I do like the idea of fighters and maybe a little ASW on those little CVEs. The problem I have is, where do I find the fighter groups? The only IJN fighters I have in the front line are the ones that start the war with 23 Air Flotilla, 2x 31 and 4x 9 plane units. EVERYTHING else is training. I have about 100 IJN fighter pilots in the pool and very few are at 70 defense.
Now, the fighter pilots in MKB are all very good. They've had far more air to air combat than KB, which brought their skills up quite a bit. Later on, I'll post the kills and losses by carrier.
Now, the fighter pilots in MKB are all very good. They've had far more air to air combat than KB, which brought their skills up quite a bit. Later on, I'll post the kills and losses by carrier.
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16718
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
7 Feb 43
Sub War
Nothing to report.
5 Fleet
The BB bombardment TF hit before the assault went in.
The deliberate assault got 1.58:1 odds reducing the forts from 2 to 1. They, I believe, are on their last legs. In the enemy bombardment after the attack, I learned that their raw AV dropped from 462 to 401 from the attack. That was nice to see. I'll attack again when the bombardment TF replenishes at Attu and returns.
If anyone is wondering, Attu has a level 3 port, and can replenish the 18" shells of the Yamato class (and everything smaller) with some AKEs there. (I have 6 AKEs there to feed the guns.)
4 Fleet
Fifteen Vals from KB sank what appeared to be the last ship in the lost enemy TF, a big EC2 AK. They're going to hang out in the area another day just in case there's something else to sink.
SE Fleet
The bombardment damage of Rennell Island has been largely repaired and most (if not all) of the damaged planes are flying again. Nine Corsairs and 11 Wildcats swept Tulagi in preparation of the 22 heavy bombers and 11 Dauntlesses escorted by another 15 Wildcats, which hit the airfield. It's nice that they are ignoring Lunga, which have built up the forts to 2.83 (the goal is level 3). There are also a dozen 20 mm AAA guns to surprise the Dauntlesses when they return.
Madang still has the attention of 3 squadrons of enemy fighter sweep: 9 Kittyhawk IIIs, 16 Spitfire Vcs and 15 Spitfire Vcs. They almost always come in separately. I'm planning an ambush which I hope happens soon. Sixty Georges would be a pleasant surprise for them, I suspect.
SRA
Eighteen Oscars from Saumlaki surprised 6 Wildcats over Darwin shooting down 2 and damaging the rest for no loss. Apparently, a couple more Wildcats were op losses.
The combined might of MKB put full deck loads into the air over Pt. Hedland heavily damaging an xAP and ACM. Immediately after, I heard sinking sounds, which had to be the ACM. They're headed home now. I see only one ship in port (probably the xAP) and there are at least a couple of enemy subs in the area sniffing around. They've done good work. I'll have a roll up of what they did (along with KB too) later.
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
The bombers didn't fly again today. Lots of thunderstorms in China. The bombardment destroyed 18 squads.
Raw AV:
Japan: 4192 (+53)
China: 1966 (-9)
Enemy strength: k (k)
Enemy units: 92 units (+1) - 14 Construction Regiment
Guns: 423 (+13)
Other Stuff
The N1K2-J George R&D advanced to 9/43 and is expected to become operational 3/2/43. Can't wait!
Sub War
Nothing to report.
5 Fleet
The BB bombardment TF hit before the assault went in.
The deliberate assault got 1.58:1 odds reducing the forts from 2 to 1. They, I believe, are on their last legs. In the enemy bombardment after the attack, I learned that their raw AV dropped from 462 to 401 from the attack. That was nice to see. I'll attack again when the bombardment TF replenishes at Attu and returns.
If anyone is wondering, Attu has a level 3 port, and can replenish the 18" shells of the Yamato class (and everything smaller) with some AKEs there. (I have 6 AKEs there to feed the guns.)
4 Fleet
Fifteen Vals from KB sank what appeared to be the last ship in the lost enemy TF, a big EC2 AK. They're going to hang out in the area another day just in case there's something else to sink.
SE Fleet
The bombardment damage of Rennell Island has been largely repaired and most (if not all) of the damaged planes are flying again. Nine Corsairs and 11 Wildcats swept Tulagi in preparation of the 22 heavy bombers and 11 Dauntlesses escorted by another 15 Wildcats, which hit the airfield. It's nice that they are ignoring Lunga, which have built up the forts to 2.83 (the goal is level 3). There are also a dozen 20 mm AAA guns to surprise the Dauntlesses when they return.
Madang still has the attention of 3 squadrons of enemy fighter sweep: 9 Kittyhawk IIIs, 16 Spitfire Vcs and 15 Spitfire Vcs. They almost always come in separately. I'm planning an ambush which I hope happens soon. Sixty Georges would be a pleasant surprise for them, I suspect.
SRA
Eighteen Oscars from Saumlaki surprised 6 Wildcats over Darwin shooting down 2 and damaging the rest for no loss. Apparently, a couple more Wildcats were op losses.
The combined might of MKB put full deck loads into the air over Pt. Hedland heavily damaging an xAP and ACM. Immediately after, I heard sinking sounds, which had to be the ACM. They're headed home now. I see only one ship in port (probably the xAP) and there are at least a couple of enemy subs in the area sniffing around. They've done good work. I'll have a roll up of what they did (along with KB too) later.
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
The bombers didn't fly again today. Lots of thunderstorms in China. The bombardment destroyed 18 squads.
Raw AV:
Japan: 4192 (+53)
China: 1966 (-9)
Enemy strength: k (k)
Enemy units: 92 units (+1) - 14 Construction Regiment
Guns: 423 (+13)
Other Stuff
The N1K2-J George R&D advanced to 9/43 and is expected to become operational 3/2/43. Can't wait!
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16718
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
8 Feb 43
Sub War
The Harder is the current sub at Adak. So far, she's shot 10 torpedoes (of 30?) at primarily PBs in fast transport TFs. No one has done appreciable damage to her either.
5 Fleet
The Allies at Adak bombarded again. It's interesting to note that the Allied raw AV increased only by 1 to 402. The next attack should happen in a couple of days.
4 Fleet
The seas were swept by KB 2. They're headed for Truk.
SE Fleet
The 9 Kittyhawks and 31 Spitfires swept Madang again today. Tomorrow, they'll meet up to 60 Georges there.
Tulagi was hit/swept by similar numbers of enemy planes as yesterday.
Lunga is happily building forts, which are up to 2.85.
SRA
Something else sank at the beginning of the turn. No doubt from Pt. Hedland. That xAP that was hit yesterday maybe? The detection level is still 7/10 and I see no ships in port. I'll count that as a clean sweep.
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
The bombers flew! The bombing/bombardment today destroyed 33 squads.
Raw AV:
Japan: 4257 (+65)
China: 1942 (-24)
Enemy strength: 272k (-1k)
Enemy units: 92 units (no change)
Guns: 380 (-43)
I think I forgot to mention that the resting divisions are marching back to Chungking and will arrive in ~2 days and will attack the day after.
Other Stuff
Nothing to report.
Sub War
The Harder is the current sub at Adak. So far, she's shot 10 torpedoes (of 30?) at primarily PBs in fast transport TFs. No one has done appreciable damage to her either.
5 Fleet
The Allies at Adak bombarded again. It's interesting to note that the Allied raw AV increased only by 1 to 402. The next attack should happen in a couple of days.
4 Fleet
The seas were swept by KB 2. They're headed for Truk.
SE Fleet
The 9 Kittyhawks and 31 Spitfires swept Madang again today. Tomorrow, they'll meet up to 60 Georges there.
Tulagi was hit/swept by similar numbers of enemy planes as yesterday.
Lunga is happily building forts, which are up to 2.85.
SRA
Something else sank at the beginning of the turn. No doubt from Pt. Hedland. That xAP that was hit yesterday maybe? The detection level is still 7/10 and I see no ships in port. I'll count that as a clean sweep.
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
The bombers flew! The bombing/bombardment today destroyed 33 squads.
Raw AV:
Japan: 4257 (+65)
China: 1942 (-24)
Enemy strength: 272k (-1k)
Enemy units: 92 units (no change)
Guns: 380 (-43)
I think I forgot to mention that the resting divisions are marching back to Chungking and will arrive in ~2 days and will attack the day after.
Other Stuff
Nothing to report.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
Expand their air units, base the fighters on the CVEs with decent pilots who continue their training flying missions while the other air units do their missions from bases.Mike Solli wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 12:40 pm I do like the idea of fighters and maybe a little ASW on those little CVEs. The problem I have is, where do I find the fighter groups? The only IJN fighters I have in the front line are the ones that start the war with 23 Air Flotilla, 2x 31 and 4x 9 plane units. EVERYTHING else is training. I have about 100 IJN fighter pilots in the pool and very few are at 70 defense.
Now, the fighter pilots in MKB are all very good. They've had far more air to air combat than KB, which brought their skills up quite a bit. Later on, I'll post the kills and losses by carrier.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
As RJ notes, he and I would just re-size the current CV air group to 27 ... BUT, you do not re-size so, I would just gather air groups until you get 27 on there. And given that you will be piecing groups together to do this, I would definitely encourage you to make one of the groups ASW ... it will extend the life of the MKB considerably.RangerJoe wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 1:50 pmExpand their air units, base the fighters on the CVEs with decent pilots who continue their training flying missions while the other air units do their missions from bases.Mike Solli wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 12:40 pm I do like the idea of fighters and maybe a little ASW on those little CVEs. The problem I have is, where do I find the fighter groups? The only IJN fighters I have in the front line are the ones that start the war with 23 Air Flotilla, 2x 31 and 4x 9 plane units. EVERYTHING else is training. I have about 100 IJN fighter pilots in the pool and very few are at 70 defense.
Now, the fighter pilots in MKB are all very good. They've had far more air to air combat than KB, which brought their skills up quite a bit. Later on, I'll post the kills and losses by carrier.
Yes, you can use some of your training or other active groups for this. Remember, these pilots train up as well and then you send them to the KB ...
Pax
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
Continue to be impressed with your ability to take CK in Feb43 ... in my game(s) any time after Aug42 is ... difficult ... Feb43? I don't think I'd be able to be successful.Mike Solli wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 1:31 pm 8 Feb 43
China
The bombers flew! The bombing/bombardment today destroyed 33 squads.
Raw AV:
Japan: 4257 (+65)
China: 1942 (-24)
Enemy strength: 272k (-1k)
Enemy units: 92 units (no change)
Guns: 380 (-43)
I think I forgot to mention that the resting divisions are marching back to Chungking and will arrive in ~2 days and will attack the day after.
Pax
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16718
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
I do resize some of my air groups. My issue is that most of the groups I'm using for training either can't become unrestricted or are already >27. There is one that is part of 22 Air Flotilla (HQ at Pt. Blair) that is sitting at Singapore and training. It's at 36. I don't want to reduce it to 27 but I can split it and put 2x 12 planes on a CVE while leaving the other as a training unit. I think I'll do that. I also have a small, 3 plane max Kate unit that I use for recon. I'll probably put that on the CVE as well for extra recon or attack if there's a good opportunity. The last 12 plane chutai will continue to train.PaxMondo wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 6:52 pmAs RJ notes, he and I would just re-size the current CV air group to 27 ... BUT, you do not re-size so, I would just gather air groups until you get 27 on there. And given that you will be piecing groups together to do this, I would definitely encourage you to make one of the groups ASW ... it will extend the life of the MKB considerably.RangerJoe wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 1:50 pmExpand their air units, base the fighters on the CVEs with decent pilots who continue their training flying missions while the other air units do their missions from bases.Mike Solli wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 12:40 pm I do like the idea of fighters and maybe a little ASW on those little CVEs. The problem I have is, where do I find the fighter groups? The only IJN fighters I have in the front line are the ones that start the war with 23 Air Flotilla, 2x 31 and 4x 9 plane units. EVERYTHING else is training. I have about 100 IJN fighter pilots in the pool and very few are at 70 defense.
Now, the fighter pilots in MKB are all very good. They've had far more air to air combat than KB, which brought their skills up quite a bit. Later on, I'll post the kills and losses by carrier.![]()
Yes, you can use some of your training or other active groups for this. Remember, these pilots train up as well and then you send them to the KB ...
![]()
![]()
![]()
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16718
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
I think it may be because I'm using a LOT of independent artillery. Not counting what I have in the 16 divisions (which is a lot, but it only shoots when I do an attack) that will be attacking in a couple of days, I have the following:PaxMondo wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:08 pmContinue to be impressed with your ability to take CK in Feb43 ... in my game(s) any time after Aug42 is ... difficult ... Feb43? I don't think I'd be able to be successful.Mike Solli wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 1:31 pm 8 Feb 43
China
The bombers flew! The bombing/bombardment today destroyed 33 squads.
Raw AV:
Japan: 4257 (+65)
China: 1942 (-24)
Enemy strength: 272k (-1k)
Enemy units: 92 units (no change)
Guns: 380 (-43)
I think I forgot to mention that the resting divisions are marching back to Chungking and will arrive in ~2 days and will attack the day after.
![]()
![]()
![]()
>15cm: 112
<15cm: 252
81mm mortars: 108
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16718
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)
9 Feb 43
Sub War
I caught sight of my first LST off the US west coast, which I-21 missed.
The DD Numakaze hit Harder once at Adak, and also damaged her front tubes. Gotta love that intel!
5 Fleet
The bombardment TF should hit tomorrow and the attack will go in after that.
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
A couple of DMS swept the mines off Rennell Island. 80 mines for an ACM. Not really worth it, but it was worth the shot.
A total of 31 Georges made it to Madang for an LRCAP mission to ambush some Allied fighters. Unfortunately, Ted increased the height of his sweeps and all 2 enemy squadrons got the dive on me. Still, Georges are very nice fighters.
The 3 squadrons came in separately, which seems to be their custom. The first was 9 Kittyhawk IIIs vs. my 31 Georges. They dove on my and downed 2 Georges (2 WIA total over the course of the entire operation). I got only 1 Kittyhawk.
The Spitfires didn't fare well against my Georges. The first squadron of 15 Spitfires couldn't take down any of my 28 Georges and lost 6 shot down. The second squadron of 16 Spitfires downed 1 George, but lost 5 Spitfires.
Overall, I lost 3 Georges (2 WIA) to 12 enemy fighters. The Georges will LRCAP Madang again tomorrow, just in case. By the way, they were stationed at Manus, six hexes NE of Madang. Ted doesn't know they're there.
Nineteen 4E bombers hit Tulagi's airfield again today. The troops at Lunga are appreciating the reprieve.
SRA
Nothing to report.
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
Today's bombing/bombardment destroyed 37 squads.
Raw AV:
Japan: 4474 (+183)
China: 1896 (-46)
Enemy strength: 269k (-3k)
Enemy units: 92 units (no change)
Guns: 400 (+20)
Other Stuff
Nothing to report.
Sub War
I caught sight of my first LST off the US west coast, which I-21 missed.
The DD Numakaze hit Harder once at Adak, and also damaged her front tubes. Gotta love that intel!
5 Fleet
The bombardment TF should hit tomorrow and the attack will go in after that.
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
A couple of DMS swept the mines off Rennell Island. 80 mines for an ACM. Not really worth it, but it was worth the shot.
A total of 31 Georges made it to Madang for an LRCAP mission to ambush some Allied fighters. Unfortunately, Ted increased the height of his sweeps and all 2 enemy squadrons got the dive on me. Still, Georges are very nice fighters.
The 3 squadrons came in separately, which seems to be their custom. The first was 9 Kittyhawk IIIs vs. my 31 Georges. They dove on my and downed 2 Georges (2 WIA total over the course of the entire operation). I got only 1 Kittyhawk.
The Spitfires didn't fare well against my Georges. The first squadron of 15 Spitfires couldn't take down any of my 28 Georges and lost 6 shot down. The second squadron of 16 Spitfires downed 1 George, but lost 5 Spitfires.
Overall, I lost 3 Georges (2 WIA) to 12 enemy fighters. The Georges will LRCAP Madang again tomorrow, just in case. By the way, they were stationed at Manus, six hexes NE of Madang. Ted doesn't know they're there.
Nineteen 4E bombers hit Tulagi's airfield again today. The troops at Lunga are appreciating the reprieve.
SRA
Nothing to report.
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
Today's bombing/bombardment destroyed 37 squads.
Raw AV:
Japan: 4474 (+183)
China: 1896 (-46)
Enemy strength: 269k (-3k)
Enemy units: 92 units (no change)
Guns: 400 (+20)
Other Stuff
Nothing to report.
Created by the amazing Dixie


