18 Feb 43
Sub War
Nothing to report.
5 Fleet
Another PT boat appeared at Adak. I have 4 DDs there on an ASW mission and they easily took the PT boat out. I think Adak's demise is imminent. I think Ted spent the supply on it hoping it would hit something in the bombardment TF (which isn't there yet).
The bombardment TF replenished at Attu and will move to a point 2 hexes NW of Adak tomorrow. They'll go in the day after along with the ground attack (probably shock, but still not decided).
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
So, I decided to try a little operation. I have 2 and 4 Raiding Regiments in SE Fleet AO located (mostly) at Rabaul. I gathered all my transport in the area (69) and dropped them on Munda to try and take the base. It was a pretty major (for my in early 43) operation. I sent some Nicks and Georges on LRCAP and more Georges as escort for the transports. Some Sallies were involved too. Here's what happened:
First, 8 (out of a whole sentai of 42!) met 15 Corsairs and came out the worst of it, but did their job admirably. I lost 3 plus some more op losses (2 KIA, 4 WIA) but drove off most of the Corsairs.
Then, 8 Georges escorted 21 Sallies on a bombing run and met 2 remaining Corsairs. One George was lost (MIA) but they shot down a Corsair. The bombers did little damage to the troops.
The transports landed most of the paratroopers losing 4 with a handful damaged. The defenders 2 Marine Parachute Battalion, 11 Marine Defense Battalion and a slice of the 41 US Naval Construction Battalion (SeaBees!).
The shock attack did little to either side. I lost a squad. Tomorrow, I'll land the rest of the paratroopers and some supply.
SRA
Nothing to report.
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
The artillery finally marched back into Chungking and is set to bombard. I'll get a report tomorrow.
Two more fresh divisions will arrive in Chungking in the next day or two. I have 5 divisions in Chungking and 11 more resting at Neikiang. Overall disruption and fatigue are decreasing nicely. They are averaging 11 and 26 respectively. The AV has increased 800 from the attack with another 900 due to be added when the 2 divisions arrive. After they arrive, the raw AV will be around 3800. I'm going to let the divisions in Neikiang rest 2 more days and then move them back to Chungking to attack again.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement
19 Field Construction Battalion, 2 Area Army, will head to Burma Theater.
I am getting a nice little pile of ships over the next month:
CL Oyodo - This "little" CL is 10,252 tons. She's a biggun for a Japanese CL.
3 DD - all Yugumos
1 SS - Glen
2 E - converted DMS
9 SC
5 TK
3 xAK - Std-B that will convert to TK
1 CM
1 AM
1 AMc
Ted would laugh at that but that's a lot of ships for me.