He won't get into India. (he'll run out supply) The Problem with Rangoon is forces defending it cannot retreat out of it. I am fighting for the SRA but Rangoon is not in the SRA.
I've recaptured southern Luzon and should wipe out all Japanese at Legaspi this turn. Then I will have a few div to move north to help defend Manila and Clark.
OK, it gets a little tough trying to follow exactly whats going on from just the combat reports. Now my question is if Frag has 3+ Divisions in Burma, dosent that make Singapores immediate prospects somewhat brighter. Particularly since you already shipped in all those resources. Also just curious what is it about the impending loss of Rangoon that compells you to withdraw your airgroups from the SRA? I know its probably an important conduit for ferrying in replacement groups from India but it isnt the only way is it?
Again, I know you know what your doing. I am just tring to figure out what can and can not be concievably done within the game system.
That will leave 835 AV (increasing over time as supply arrives) to prevent Japanese movement into India. (I think this is more then enough)
As long as I break that supply link into the back of China, I'm happy enough. Lashio & Myitkyina seem to feed China. I don't know just how much flows, but with cutting the link, it can't hurt.
I'm attempting to do the same up north in China, knocking out the Oil in Lanchow and Sian that is feeding China. I can't very well do anything about Chungking's oil and auto-supply except bomb it.
If I get all the blocks in place, you should be down to pretty slim supplies to feed all those units.
This is my first attempt to *win* as Japan, and being hampered by the preplanned mess has really screwed up my plans in the SRA area.
Hi, Without Rangoon certain airgroups could not leave the SRA. Not all airgroups have left just the ones earmarked to defend India with range too low to exit once Rangoon falls.
There are airgroups remaining that can exit/enter via Mandalay. To help maintain control of that base I'm moving 800 AV worth of Chinese units under Gen Stillwell. These units with a few Commonwealth Bde will defend central Burma while another force at Ayab blocks the road to India. (built around 18th CW div once it arrives from Karachi)
I don't think Singapore is in any danger at moment. I'm going to try to achive local air control. (FG of P-40E deployed at Singapore) The AVG is reforming to be used as rotating force with the group at Singapore. (via Mandalay) I'm going to break the groups down.
One part will be at Singapore fighting 1 part waiting at Mandalay to relieve 1 part further back to rebuild and rest. This will put at least 40 P-40 over Singapore at any one time and if Japanese increase fighter numbers I can also increase. I've pretty much wrecked the Dutch fighter groups and half the Commonweath groups are reforming. I should begin getting 16 aircraft squadrons of Hurrican IIc soon.
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 23,54
Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 3
Hudson I x 7
no losses
Japanese Ships
AP Asama Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Hudson I bombing at 5000 feet
4 x Hudson I bombing at 5000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 23,53
Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 6
no losses
Japanese Ships
DD Oshio, on fire, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Martin 139 bombing at 5000 feet
4 x Martin 139 bombing at 5000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 8 troops unloading over beach at Nanomea Atoll, 87,101
Japanese ground losses:
76 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Nanomea Atoll
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 1971 troops, 13 guns, 0 vehicles
Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles
Japanese assault odds: 58 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Nanomea Atoll base !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Palembang
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 7906 troops, 126 guns, 0 vehicles
Defending force 3734 troops, 63 guns, 8 vehicles
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 3)
Japanese ground losses:
176 casualties reported
Guns lost 8
Allied ground losses:
21 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Kungchang
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 18410 troops, 152 guns, 0 vehicles
Defending force 32420 troops, 381 guns, 0 vehicles
Allied assault odds: 0 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
56 casualties reported
Guns lost 5
Allied ground losses:
814 casualties reported
Guns lost 29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Palembang
Allied Bombardment attack
Attacking force 1440 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles
Defending force 7602 troops, 117 guns, 0 vehicles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Legaspi
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 14857 troops, 149 guns, 0 vehicles
Defending force 969 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles
Allied assault odds: 642 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
1787 casualties reported
Guns lost 5
Allied ground losses:
49 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Hi, Without Rangoon certain airgroups could not leave the SRA. Not all airgroups have left just the ones earmarked to defend India with range too low to exit once Rangoon falls.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Legaspi
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 14857 troops, 149 guns, 0 vehicles
Defending force 969 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles
Allied assault odds: 642 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
1787 casualties reported
Guns lost 5
Allied ground losses:
49 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Shouldn't that base have been captured? IFIRC wasn't there a bug earlier in one of Kids AAR where a base just could not be taken with odds like that? Has it returned?
Here is current Singapore status. Notice resource available. At start there were fewer then 700 present. Notice required supply. Without imports of resources Singapore would be out of supply already.
Attachments
Singapore.jpg (134.65 KiB) Viewed 338 times
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Are PP points in the game to allow you to do do ahistorical things like evac troops and planes (but to limit those transfers)
Or do you require them to do historic command transfers as well. i.e. Do units automatically transfer command on historic dates or do you need to save up points to do normal transfers.
Thinking transfers of ANZAC -> SWPAC and SEAC -> 14th Army ?
Makes a big difference if you need to be saving them up to release formations that did historically transfer.
Hi, The troops required for defending Rangoon are not ready. (I'm not being a McClellan here)
14th Ind Div (32/40) meaning 40 percent of TOE present with 32 percent ready 102 assault value
17th Ind Div (27/38) (73 AV)
18th UK Div (100/100) just arrived Karachi (342 assault value)
23rd Ind Div (31/34) (114 AV)
20th Ind Div (23/38) (59AV)
63rd Ind Bde (64/100) (68AV)
48th Ind Bde (64/100) (77AV)
I'm about to lose the 13th and 16th Ind Bde at Rangoon because I waited too long to retreat.
That will leave 835 AV (increasing over time as supply arrives) to prevent Japanese movement into India. (I think this is more then enough)
OK, begining to understand the reason for the misconceptions. From my POV I am making assumptions on possible strategy and outcomes based on what you SHOULD have available historically while you are unfortunately stuck with the game gives you to play with. There appears to be still a lot of initial allied oob mistakes that I realize at this point are unlikely to be changed, but just to point out one above.
The 17th Indian Division was unready in Dec 41, because two of its brigades had been earmarked for Singapore reinforcement. The 45th Bgd. was at sea heading to Singapore when war broke out and the 44th was embarking and soon followed to Singapore. The division was reformed by filling out its lone remaining 46th Bgd. with the recently formed and unready 48th and 63rd Bgds.
Now since there is apparently no independent 44th or 45th Bgds in the game but there are the 48th and 63rd bgds. It follows that in game terms the 17th Division must include its original 44,45,46 Bgds and as such it should be 100/100 ready considering it had just finished about 6 months fairly intensive training in the mideast. Confused yet[&:]
There are apparently many other inaccuraceis and downright ommisions in the oob as well. Frankly if the game doesnt give the allies even its historically meager resources I dont see how you have a prayer to hold back Frag-san to anything close to the historical or beyond.
Again this isnt really a complaint since I realize the oob can be corrected in the editor. Just trying to understand the reasons for the games apparent paceing.
Its been a very enjoyable and surprising AAR so far. Thanks again for posting it.
The 17th Indian Division was unready in Dec 41, because two of its brigades had been earmarked for Singapore reinforcement. The 45th Bgd. was at sea heading to Singapore when war broke out and the 44th was embarking and soon followed to Singapore. The division was reformed by filling out its lone remaining 46th Bgd. with the recently formed and unready 48th and 63rd Bgds.
Now since there is apparently no independent 44th or 45th Bgds in the game but there are the 48th and 63rd bgds. It follows that in game terms the 17th Division must include its original 44,45,46 Bgds and as such it should be 100/100 ready considering it had just finished about 6 months fairly intensive training in the mideast. Confused yet
Hi, OOB error are easy to fix. It appears the 48th and 63rd should be removed. The 17th Left as is (filling out and the 44th and 45th added. Although I'd prefer leaving the 48th and 63rd and having the 17th at 100 percent. (it could be split by the player and this would produce the same result as historic.
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Hi, OOB error are easy to fix. It appears the 48th and 63rd should be removed. The 17th Left as is (filling out and the 44th and 45th added. Although I'd prefer leaving the 48th and 63rd and having the 17th at 100 percent. (it could be split by the player and this would produce the same result as historic.
Particularily given that any Japan player worth his salt will have naval forces waiting for this reinforcement to arrive. I agree, best to just have the fully intact 17th start the game in port, just as the 18th UK, starts at Karachi, free to be deployed by the Allied player as he sees fit.
Singapore remains a not very viable option because of it's isolation.
17th Indian Division
with 16th 48th and 63rd Bdes under command with low TOE and limited strength in Bdes and few replacements
1st Burma Division
with 1st 2nd and 13th Bdes under command
1st and 2nd Burmese Bdes very recently raised and using WW1 vintage artillary with ammo supply
Later joined by 7th Armoured Bde (2 Regts)
It points out that Burma Div had a very very low TOE and was very weak in all war fighting equipment and that 17th Indian was not in great shape either equipment wise but was a good well trained formation with TOE for Desert conditions in which they had been extensively training.
Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my main source book Ill go rummage about and see if i can find it
So I hate to say it but I suspect WITP is pretty close although I do notice that 63rd and 48th are marked as Ind Bdes which would imply the 44th and 45th Bdes are included in 17th Indian perhaps the st or readiness needs to be nudged a lil higher in this formation but it doesnt really look that wrong to me.
(I assume Burma Division has already bee wiped out ?)
Hi, Well it is just this isolation that I dispute. The allied player has airgroups that can cover movement into and out of Singapore. He has to do a little set up.
Use bases in Northern Summatra (the Japanese do not over run these) To provide CAP
(move a Buffalo group from Singapore) Move P-40 into Singapore. (AVG and PI groups)
Now it is much safer to move into and out of Singapore. Sub in the straits are the major threat so the RN needs to conduct a few ASW patrols (again covered by CAP)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
17th Indian Division
with 16th 48th and 63rd Bdes under command with low TOE and limited strength in Bdes and few replacements
1st Burma Division
with 1st 2nd and 13th Bdes under command
1st and 2nd Burmese Bdes very recently raised and using WW1 vintage artillary with ammo supply
Later joined by 7th Armoured Bde (2 Regts)
It points out that Burma Div had a very very low TOE and was very weak in all war fighting equipment and that 17th Indian was not in great shape either equipment wise but was a good well trained formation with TOE for Desert conditions in which they had been extensively training.
Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my main source book Ill go rummage about and see if i can find it
So I hate to say it but I suspect WITP is pretty close although I do notice that 63rd and 48th are marked as Ind Bdes which would imply the 44th and 45th Bdes are included in 17th Indian perhaps the st or readiness needs to be nudged a lil higher in this formation but it doesnt really look that wrong to me.
(I assume Burma Division has already bee wiped out ?)
Andy
Hi, Frag overran the Burma Div (1st and 2nd Bde) at Moulemein and they surrendered rather then retreat. The 13th Bde is now cut off at Rangoon.
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!