Interested in opinions about a map experiment - Panama screenshot added

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Andrew Brown
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hex 82,170
Contact:

RE: Interested in opinions about map experiment

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar
ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

This has been requested before. Unfortunately I think that the map is just too cramped to add it. Aden itself is already quite a stretch, and could only be added with some difficulty.

Why not call Aden just "Middle East", since it'll be abstracted in a way, composing all British ME and African bases ?? Like Panama/East USA ??

Cheers,

M.S.

I am currently planning on adding two bases in this area - Aden (a port) and a second, inland base, that will be invulnerable to Japanese attack. This second base is an abstract representation of the British bases in Africa and the Middle East, but I have yet to decide what to call it. I might even call it 'Great Britain'. This is the base where all of the British land and air reinforcements will arrive.
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Image
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12856
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: Interested in opinions about map experiment

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

I am currently planning on adding two bases in this area - Aden (a port) and a second, inland base, that will be invulnerable to Japanese attack. This second base is an abstract representation of the British bases in Africa and the Middle East, but I have yet to decide what to call it. I might even call it 'Great Britain'. This is the base where all of the British land and air reinforcements will arrive.

Sounds very good !! I think it'll add more realism even when being an abstraction.

Cheers,

M.S.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: Interested in opinions about map experiment

Post by Halsey »

I was thinking along the line of SPI's WITP.
The entire edge could be exited. With the movement point cost determined by it's location on the map edge.

Yes, The IJN will attempt to blocade these hexes, I would. A restricted line of approach would be too easy set up ambushes. [;)]
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: Interested in opinions about map experiment

Post by Bradley7735 »

I definitely like the idea. I see that you are already aware of the issues that Halsey brought up. My first thought was that Japan could use subs to great effect, but as you said, ASW would be easy too.

I have always hated that ships and LCU's appear in bases all over the map. (a British HQ arriving in Mandalay, Drum arriving at Pearl, PBY's arriving at Juneau, etc etc.). These units should arrive at the first point that they historically arrived on the map (Panama for most US ships, Karachi for most British air groups and LCU's, etc). Unless the unit was physically created in the base, historically.

I'm sure Drum wasn't created at Pearl. Have her arrive at Panama (10 days early) and allow me to deploy her.

I'd love to see a screen shot of your idea!!!
The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
Skyros
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Columbia SC

RE: Interested in opinions about map experiment

Post by Skyros »

Will you add the Cape route in case the Jap Fanboys use floatplanes to torpedo the locks at Panama?[:D]
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Interested in opinions about map experiment

Post by Nikademus »

Aden will be good simply because by removing the auto supply from here and relocating it in Aden, the British will have to ship the supplies and units to India. Will help alleviate the hordes of shipping the Allies have because they have nothing to do. (with resource centres producing supplies along with resources the game designers have basically gutted the need for merchant shipping).

why not simply reduce the daily supply input for the west coast and Karachi?
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Interested in opinions about map experiment

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
Aden will be good simply because by removing the auto supply from here and relocating it in Aden, the British will have to ship the supplies and units to India. Will help alleviate the hordes of shipping the Allies have because they have nothing to do. (with resource centres producing supplies along with resources the game designers have basically gutted the need for merchant shipping).

why not simply reduce the daily supply input for the west coast and Karachi?

Thinking of doing that for west coast anyway. Big benefit will be keeping AK/APs busy moving supplies and units to India for example and not conducting combat ops.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Interested in opinions about map experiment

Post by Nikademus »

Don know....Adan sounds like more work than worth....it also assumes that if India is attacked the UK would pull assets out of other active theaters to counter. I'm not sure they would be in a position to do such.
User avatar
byron13
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:00 am

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by byron13 »

Sounds like a good idea. Like others, I'm sure, I've got probably one-third or one-half of my AKs parked on the West Coast doing nothing. My few supply hubs are brimming with supplies, and I've got more AKs than I know what to do with. I am in favor of placing more stress on Allied shipping, but I don't think this will do it - at least for the Americans. Requiring the Brits to ship supply from Aden to India would take slack out of their system. For the Americans, it sounds like this would affect combat ships and APs more than AKs. Not sure where oil and fuel was produced back in the day, but if it was refined and shipped from Texas and the Gulf coast, the Panama Canal idea would tax the TKs; I've got just enough now to feel comfortable. Force me to ship from Texas and through the Canal, and I'll be feeling the pinch me thinks.

Since the Brits are so light on ship repair, you might consider giving Aden (or the invulnerable "England" base) substantial ship repair capabilities. This would allow the Brits to maintain ships and make light repairs in theater; an 80 Sys damaged BB could go to England for major work and get the ship back before 1950.

You might also consider how your idea would interface with the ship withdrawal routine. If required to withdraw a ship, the only one of which is in Aden or "England," can it be withdrawn from there? Changing the programming to that extent is inviting bugs. The alternative is to make sure that the player has enough time to get the ship back to India by the end of the month.

Great idea.
Image
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Mr.Frag »

Just keep in mind that it will break the AI completely so this is a Player vs Player only option.
User avatar
byron13
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:00 am

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by byron13 »

. . . . Oh, and consider that your mod might break the AI completely. This may end up being a Player v. Player only option.

I think it would break the Allied AI. But I don't think it would break the Japanese AI - or at least, the AI's ignorance of the existence of these other bases will not break the game. The bases are too far away to be invaded or bombed by Japan. The AI subs don't tend to prowl the West Coast or India anyway. About the only thing you could say (I think) is that the AI won't be trying to interdict these areas. So, assuming the mod doesn't blow a gasket in the engine somewhere else, I would think the mod would support human v. human and human Allies v. AI Japanese.
Image
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Aden? Don't forget to add London, so that ambitious IJN players may send a large I-class sub with Glen floatplane to bomb Churchill.

O.
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: byron13

. . . . Oh, and consider that your mod might break the AI completely. This may end up being a Player v. Player only option.

I think it would break the Allied AI. But I don't think it would break the Japanese AI - or at least, the AI's ignorance of the existence of these other bases will not break the game. The bases are too far away to be invaded or bombed by Japan. The AI subs don't tend to prowl the West Coast or India anyway. About the only thing you could say (I think) is that the AI won't be trying to interdict these areas. So, assuming the mod doesn't blow a gasket in the engine somewhere else, I would think the mod would support human v. human and human Allies v. AI Japanese.

So, assuming the mod doesn't blow a gasket in the engine somewhere else, I would think the mod would support human v. human and human Allies v. AI Japanese.

Same situation as the non respawning variation which will be added and was the other reason (aside from Lemur's extended absence) why this mod was initiated. It will work as PBEM, H2H and Allies vs AI (Japan) because the onus is on the Allied player to ensure any respawned ships are left in San Francisco/sent to Panama etc. The fact that Japan gets some MSW is inconsequential.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Andrew Brown
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hex 82,170
Contact:

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Andrew Brown »

I think it would break the Allied AI. But I don't think it would break the Japanese AI - or at least, the AI's ignorance of the existence of these other bases will not break the game. The bases are too far away to be invaded or bombed by Japan. The AI subs don't tend to prowl the West Coast or India anyway. About the only thing you could say (I think) is that the AI won't be trying to interdict these areas. So, assuming the mod doesn't blow a gasket in the engine somewhere else, I would think the mod would support human v. human and human Allies v. AI Japanese.

My thoughts exactly. I think the Japanese AI will cope for the resons you provide. The Alied AI won't handle it though.

So how important is it for players who wish to play the Combiend Mod scenario to have an operative Allied AI?
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Image
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

My understanding always was CHM is strictly PBEM mod (though now that you mentioned it I can't remember ever actually reading that). With so many changes you guys plan to make I seriously doubt AI will cope successfully.

O.
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Grotius »

I like this idea, and I don't mind if it will work only for PBEM.

My main concern is whether it will create a new, "smaller" map edge that invites new gamey tactics -- blockading the handful of hexes that lead to Panama or Aden, for example. I kind of like Halsey's proposed solution: allow any edge hex to serve as an entry/exit point, and vary the movement/time costs accordingly. E.g., if you enter from Panama at the southeast edge of map, you arrive sooner; if you enter near Fiji, you arrive later.
Image
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Bradley7735 »

I hope to play the CHM as allied vs AI (Japan).
The older I get, the better I was.
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Halsey »

This was SPI's solution to off map movement. It's a good idea, and allows the entire "edge of the world" to be used.
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Ron Saueracker »

No way to make map edge exitable.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Andrew Brown
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hex 82,170
Contact:

RE: Interested in opinions about a map experiment

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

No way to make map edge exitable.

Yes. Unfortunately such an idea is way outside what we modders can do.

I think that there are valid concerns about the Japanese ability to block the shipping lanes and cause problems for the Allied player, but we will see when it ges tested.
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”