The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
bstarr
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:45 pm
Location: Texas, by God!

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by bstarr »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

ORIGINAL: testarossa

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Personally, I'd like to see GG try to do an ultra-detailed Eastern Front game. Cover everything. Not as abstracted as W@W looks. I'm thinking Kursk '43 meets WitP.

Well, they mentioned something about Russian front.

WiR will be more along the lines of WitP then WaW. It will be another game to hurt you, alienate kids and wifes, etc [8D]

Yes! There really must be a God because my prayers have just been answered!

User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by testarossa »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Yahoo!!! Hope they will use some modern programming techniques this time.

Such as? Something wrong with C? You would prefer some pigware runtime that requires 2 gigs of ram and eats half of your cpu cycles?

It's not like I’m software guru or something. I'm an accountant. But I’m working for software developer and heard a lot why deadlines are not being met from our nerds.

I have nothing against C++. Although it is very unforgiving of errors. That's why you guys are suffering making patches, changing the code, getting new bugs and patching again.

So I asked around the office what would be the best language for database driven game, with 2D graphics, easy to modify and fix. And they said VB.net or Python. Just an opinion.

Well. My 2 cents. I don’t actually expect 2by3 to choose their development tools based on the forum rant.


User avatar
Bodhi
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:36 am
Location: Japan

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by Bodhi »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Yahoo!!! Hope they will use some modern programming techniques this time.

Such as? Something wrong with C? You would prefer some pigware runtime that requires 2 gigs of ram and eats half of your cpu cycles?



Nothing wrong with C. Of course I don't know any pigware runtime that need 2 gigs ram or eat half your cpu cycles either. [;)]
For those with an open mind, it might be interesting to read (the admittedly self-praising) article from MS on what was used to make Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great.
Bodhi
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by Mr.Frag »

The framework is helpful at the widget level assuming you don't already have your own routines done in native code already done. I'd hate to think how long the training ship crews would take in a compiled language instead of tight handwritten C.
User avatar
33Vyper
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: New Westminster BC

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by 33Vyper »

I love when you guys talk code and stuff....it sorta reads like this


Blah...blah blah...blah blah blah....blah....C....blah blah blah C++

ahhhhh nothin like Charlie Brown's teacher [:D]
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by testarossa »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

The framework is helpful at the widget level assuming you don't already have your own routines done in native code already done. I'd hate to think how long the training ship crews would take in a compiled language instead of tight handwritten C.

There is another tight handwritten language - Assembler.[:D] I recall decent progs were around 48Kb.[;)]
User avatar
ZonkerHarris
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:14 pm
Location: Walden Puddle

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by ZonkerHarris »

ORIGINAL: Sonny

Give the code to Bodhi and I and we will turn it into a C#.NET game with all the features you would want.
I'll give that a great big AMEN! and go even further: Matrix and 2by3 should release most of the code to the game under a license similar to the Mozilla Public License (link) used for the Firefox browser (among other things). This would protect the commercial rights of Matrix and 2by3 while allowing any interested member of the community to donate his or her time and skill to improving it.

(The parts I would suggest they do not release would be the PBEM encryption code (I think we'd all prefer that to remain secure) and perhaps the AI. This would limit real use of the game to paying customers. Some trusted volunteer (Mr. Frag, Bodhi or someone at that level of skill) could then accept patches and issue "blessed" binary versions of the program.)

And if this seems extreme or unrealistic, consider that John Carmack and id Software release the source code to their games once the major sales period has ended. (Want the source code to Quake 3 Arena? It's at this link.) Those titles sell in numbers several orders of magnitude greater than wargames of this sort, and the engines that they use in these games, and later release under the GPL, generate significant license revenue all by themselves (like $500,000 a pop, if I'm remembering this correctly). As a result, there's a healthy mod and user community even years after a new game has come out. So it's not like there isn't a precedent.

"All right you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!"
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by Sonny »

ORIGINAL: testarossa
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

The framework is helpful at the widget level assuming you don't already have your own routines done in native code already done. I'd hate to think how long the training ship crews would take in a compiled language instead of tight handwritten C.

There is another tight handwritten language - Assembler.[:D] I recall decent progs were around 48Kb.[;)]

Yeah, decent two color progs - green and black.[:D]
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: The 2by3Games developers journal add yet another entry . . .

Post by testarossa »

Not really. ZX Spectrum or Commodore C-64 had 8-bit color and good sound. For that time that was awesome.

Right now there is a beta demo of 3d shooter 96Kb.

http://www.theprodukkt.com/

Nothing special just a demo. Requires decent rig, my office PC cant run it.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”