Losing the war

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Losing the war

Post by ilovestrategy »

My read was "The Rising Sun the Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire" by John Toland. Very good read, I don't think it's in print anymore. It also told of how many leaders thought the war could still be won after Nagasaki. What was amazing was that Japanese pilots kept bringing back reports of sinking 10 or 11 carriers when actually none were sunk. Incredible. And their admirals bought it at face value. Just imagine being a Japanese pilot looking at that vast American armada stretching to the horizon... And we built that in only 3 years too.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25453
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: Losing the war

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

My read was "The Rising Sun the Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire" by John Toland.

I have read and re-read that book several times in past 20 years... [:)]

It offers most excellent info about WWII (and it's origins) from Japanese perspective (including _ALL_ important political and diplomatic developements behind the scenes)!

I highly reccomend it - it is a _MUST_ read!


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
User avatar
LittleJoe
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:22 pm

RE: Losing the war

Post by LittleJoe »

I third that motion [:D]

Excellent book, really does convey the pure farce that was the Japanese war effort in the later years of the war, they actually thought they could win in 1944-45 [X(]


One good example is one the chapter about Japanese stragglers across the pacific, is one example of a squad of Japanese riflemen coming out of there "cave" on Iwo Jima i think, for Japanese navy day, or somthing or the other, standing looking out to the sea genuinely expecting the combined fleet to appear and save them!

If Japanese soldiers fought so hardly when they thought they would win the war, god knows how hard they would of fought if they know they were losing and Japan was underthreat of invasion!


I just got "Battle of the bulge" by the same author today, any good? Read first few pages, looks decent so far.
Image
Guderon
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:43 pm
Location: Arizona

RE: Losing the war

Post by Guderon »

ORIGINAL: LittleJoe

I third that motion [:D]

Excellent book, really does convey the pure farce that was the Japanese war effort in the later years of the war, they actually thought they could win in 1944-45 [X(]


One good example is one the chapter about Japanese stragglers across the pacific, is one example of a squad of Japanese riflemen coming out of there "cave" on Iwo Jima i think, for Japanese navy day, or somthing or the other, standing looking out to the sea genuinely expecting the combined fleet to appear and save them!

If Japanese soldiers fought so hardly when they thought they would win the war, god knows how hard they would of fought if they know they were losing and Japan was underthreat of invasion!


I just got "Battle of the bulge" by the same author today, any good? Read first few pages, looks decent so far.
Yeah, that's a pretty good book. You might also want to check out Toland's 'Infamy' as well for more Pacific war stuff. Another excellent 'Bulge' book is 'Hitler's Last Gamble' by Trevor Dupuy. And though you've probably read him already, (I'm continually impressed by how knowledgeable and well-read the folks on these forums are - they make me think twice before posting and saying something stupid! [:D]) ANYTHING written by John Keegan is well worth reading.
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Losing the war

Post by Speedysteve »

Excellent!

I purchased Toland off Amazon the other day. When I finish Allen's book on Burma i'll get onto it.....
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
pauk
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

RE: Losing the war

Post by pauk »

I'm sure this web site is well known to you, bunch of fanatics![;)], but it could be that someone here doesn't know for:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzer.htm

Image
User avatar
pauk
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

RE: Losing the war

Post by pauk »

Unfortunatly, one link in this web site doesn't respond. I recall it, it was a story about operational (!) T-34 during the war in Bosnia.

Speaking about War in Russia, i can't wait for this game. Also, i'm sure that devs of the WiR have reliable sources for Barbarossa, but if they stuck somewhere, they can contact George Parada (www.achtungpanzer.com)

Look at this beauty!

Ah, one more thing - when will we have WiR forum?[;)]

Image
Attachments
panzer.jpg
panzer.jpg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Image
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Losing the war

Post by Speedysteve »

Pauk. You must be psychic. I was on the Achtung site and Ithought i'd post on Matrix to find out:

1.) Rough ETA for WiR

2.) When there will be a forum on it

Steven
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
EUBanana
Posts: 4255
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:48 pm
Location: Little England
Contact:

RE: Losing the war

Post by EUBanana »

I highly reccomend it - it is a _MUST_ read!

Leo "Apollo11"

Only 6 pounds on Amazon.co.uk - I await its delivery. [:D]
Image
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Losing the war

Post by Speedysteve »

Was that 2nd hand?
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25453
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: Losing the war

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: EUBanana
I highly reccomend it - it is a _MUST_ read!

Leo "Apollo11"

Only 6 pounds on Amazon.co.uk - I await its delivery. [:D]

Great buy! [:D]


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Losing the war

Post by Speedysteve »

You telling me Leo. That why I asked if it was 2nd hand. I'm faily sure my copy from Amazon cost double that! [X(]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Losing the war

Post by mogami »

Hi, I don't want a "War in Russia" I want a "War in Europe" (drool) (Maps from Greenland to South Africa from Siberia to USA east coast. 10 mile hexes 1 day turns. Battalion sized units. )
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Losing the war

Post by Speedysteve »

Mog. Now WE'RE talking. Bring it on [8D]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Losing the war

Post by Nikademus »

How about "War on Earth"

Company sized units.....5 mile hexes, 12 hour turns. Advanced economics system that includes the Stock market and gold reserves.

User avatar
pauk
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

RE: Losing the war

Post by pauk »

you mean "beer reserves"?
Image
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Losing the war

Post by Nikademus »

The US can produce unlimited amounts of piss-water beer however, so why track it? [:D]
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Losing the war

Post by Mr.Frag »

Hi, I don't want a "War in Russia" I want a "War in Europe" (drool) (Maps from Greenland to South Africa from Siberia to USA east coast. 10 mile hexes 1 day turns. Battalion sized units. )

Sure you don't want company sized units with a 5 minute turn on a 100 foot hex? [:D]
User avatar
pauk
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

RE: Losing the war

Post by pauk »

i agree.

Mogami is well known as a men with good taste. That's why he drinks european beers (Pilsner).[:'(]
Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16734
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Losing the war

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I don't want a "War in Russia" I want a "War in Europe" (drool) (Maps from Greenland to South Africa from Siberia to USA east coast. 10 mile hexes 1 day turns. Battalion sized units. )

You're on Mogami. Your choice of sides.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”