Losing the war
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- ilovestrategy
- Posts: 3614
- Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
RE: Losing the war
My read was "The Rising Sun the Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire" by John Toland. Very good read, I don't think it's in print anymore. It also told of how many leaders thought the war could still be won after Nagasaki. What was amazing was that Japanese pilots kept bringing back reports of sinking 10 or 11 carriers when actually none were sunk. Incredible. And their admirals bought it at face value. Just imagine being a Japanese pilot looking at that vast American armada stretching to the horizon... And we built that in only 3 years too.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

RE: Losing the war
Hi all,
I have read and re-read that book several times in past 20 years... [:)]
It offers most excellent info about WWII (and it's origins) from Japanese perspective (including _ALL_ important political and diplomatic developements behind the scenes)!
I highly reccomend it - it is a _MUST_ read!
Leo "Apollo11"
ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy
My read was "The Rising Sun the Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire" by John Toland.
I have read and re-read that book several times in past 20 years... [:)]
It offers most excellent info about WWII (and it's origins) from Japanese perspective (including _ALL_ important political and diplomatic developements behind the scenes)!
I highly reccomend it - it is a _MUST_ read!
Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!
A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
RE: Losing the war
I third that motion [:D]
Excellent book, really does convey the pure farce that was the Japanese war effort in the later years of the war, they actually thought they could win in 1944-45 [X(]
One good example is one the chapter about Japanese stragglers across the pacific, is one example of a squad of Japanese riflemen coming out of there "cave" on Iwo Jima i think, for Japanese navy day, or somthing or the other, standing looking out to the sea genuinely expecting the combined fleet to appear and save them!
If Japanese soldiers fought so hardly when they thought they would win the war, god knows how hard they would of fought if they know they were losing and Japan was underthreat of invasion!
I just got "Battle of the bulge" by the same author today, any good? Read first few pages, looks decent so far.
Excellent book, really does convey the pure farce that was the Japanese war effort in the later years of the war, they actually thought they could win in 1944-45 [X(]
One good example is one the chapter about Japanese stragglers across the pacific, is one example of a squad of Japanese riflemen coming out of there "cave" on Iwo Jima i think, for Japanese navy day, or somthing or the other, standing looking out to the sea genuinely expecting the combined fleet to appear and save them!
If Japanese soldiers fought so hardly when they thought they would win the war, god knows how hard they would of fought if they know they were losing and Japan was underthreat of invasion!
I just got "Battle of the bulge" by the same author today, any good? Read first few pages, looks decent so far.

RE: Losing the war
Yeah, that's a pretty good book. You might also want to check out Toland's 'Infamy' as well for more Pacific war stuff. Another excellent 'Bulge' book is 'Hitler's Last Gamble' by Trevor Dupuy. And though you've probably read him already, (I'm continually impressed by how knowledgeable and well-read the folks on these forums are - they make me think twice before posting and saying something stupid! [:D]) ANYTHING written by John Keegan is well worth reading.ORIGINAL: LittleJoe
I third that motion [:D]
Excellent book, really does convey the pure farce that was the Japanese war effort in the later years of the war, they actually thought they could win in 1944-45 [X(]
One good example is one the chapter about Japanese stragglers across the pacific, is one example of a squad of Japanese riflemen coming out of there "cave" on Iwo Jima i think, for Japanese navy day, or somthing or the other, standing looking out to the sea genuinely expecting the combined fleet to appear and save them!
If Japanese soldiers fought so hardly when they thought they would win the war, god knows how hard they would of fought if they know they were losing and Japan was underthreat of invasion!
I just got "Battle of the bulge" by the same author today, any good? Read first few pages, looks decent so far.
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
Excellent!
I purchased Toland off Amazon the other day. When I finish Allen's book on Burma i'll get onto it.....
I purchased Toland off Amazon the other day. When I finish Allen's book on Burma i'll get onto it.....
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
RE: Losing the war
I'm sure this web site is well known to you, bunch of fanatics![;)], but it could be that someone here doesn't know for:
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzer.htm
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzer.htm

RE: Losing the war
Unfortunatly, one link in this web site doesn't respond. I recall it, it was a story about operational (!) T-34 during the war in Bosnia.
Speaking about War in Russia, i can't wait for this game. Also, i'm sure that devs of the WiR have reliable sources for Barbarossa, but if they stuck somewhere, they can contact George Parada (www.achtungpanzer.com)
Look at this beauty!
Ah, one more thing - when will we have WiR forum?[;)]

Speaking about War in Russia, i can't wait for this game. Also, i'm sure that devs of the WiR have reliable sources for Barbarossa, but if they stuck somewhere, they can contact George Parada (www.achtungpanzer.com)
Look at this beauty!
Ah, one more thing - when will we have WiR forum?[;)]

- Attachments
-
- panzer.jpg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 269 times

-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
Pauk. You must be psychic. I was on the Achtung site and Ithought i'd post on Matrix to find out:
1.) Rough ETA for WiR
2.) When there will be a forum on it
Steven
1.) Rough ETA for WiR
2.) When there will be a forum on it
Steven
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
RE: Losing the war
I highly reccomend it - it is a _MUST_ read!
Leo "Apollo11"
Only 6 pounds on Amazon.co.uk - I await its delivery. [:D]
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
Hi all,
Great buy! [:D]
Leo "Apollo11"
ORIGINAL: EUBanana
I highly reccomend it - it is a _MUST_ read!
Leo "Apollo11"
Only 6 pounds on Amazon.co.uk - I await its delivery. [:D]
Great buy! [:D]
Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!
A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
You telling me Leo. That why I asked if it was 2nd hand. I'm faily sure my copy from Amazon cost double that! [X(]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
RE: Losing the war
Hi, I don't want a "War in Russia" I want a "War in Europe" (drool) (Maps from Greenland to South Africa from Siberia to USA east coast. 10 mile hexes 1 day turns. Battalion sized units. )
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
Mog. Now WE'RE talking. Bring it on [8D]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
RE: Losing the war
How about "War on Earth"
Company sized units.....5 mile hexes, 12 hour turns. Advanced economics system that includes the Stock market and gold reserves.
Company sized units.....5 mile hexes, 12 hour turns. Advanced economics system that includes the Stock market and gold reserves.
RE: Losing the war
The US can produce unlimited amounts of piss-water beer however, so why track it? [:D]
RE: Losing the war
Hi, I don't want a "War in Russia" I want a "War in Europe" (drool) (Maps from Greenland to South Africa from Siberia to USA east coast. 10 mile hexes 1 day turns. Battalion sized units. )
Sure you don't want company sized units with a 5 minute turn on a 100 foot hex? [:D]
RE: Losing the war
i agree.
Mogami is well known as a men with good taste. That's why he drinks european beers (Pilsner).[:'(]
Mogami is well known as a men with good taste. That's why he drinks european beers (Pilsner).[:'(]

- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16734
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Losing the war
ORIGINAL: Mogami
Hi, I don't want a "War in Russia" I want a "War in Europe" (drool) (Maps from Greenland to South Africa from Siberia to USA east coast. 10 mile hexes 1 day turns. Battalion sized units. )
You're on Mogami. Your choice of sides.
Created by the amazing Dixie








