Will she sink?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Speedysteve »

Not sure on sitting still but can confirm that moving at full speed increases the risk of flooding increasing.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Nikademus »

If flooding is severe enough (50+) not moving wont be of much help. You need to reach at least a size 3 port asap. (even if Allied.....bonus is no guerantee) . A size 3 port with an AR can mean the difference between life and death
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

I have thought/imagined that full speed makes flooding worse. Is there general agreement on this? What about not moving at all, intuitively that should help with flooding. Anyone have any experience with that?
Stopping wont help, as "Patrol/Do Not Retire" assumes that the TF cruises the Hex at whatever speed you set.

You gotta Dock her at least.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

2 days later and up to 70 float and making only 1 hex per turn. I think it is a lost cause.

I am going to try to make it to the enarest port and try to off load the a/c before she sinks.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Feinder »

FYI, I don't think you can fly off the AC with more than 50 float/fire/sys damage. You'll have to pull her into a base (any base), and tranfer the planes to the base.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

That is what I am planning on doing....if I can make it to a port.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

That is what I am planning on doing....if I can make it to a port.
I feel your pain
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

Is there some secret line of code written into the Lexington that makes her sink easier than other CVs?

In every game I have played with the Lex in it (PACWAR, Carrier Strike, UV, and WiTP) the Lex will sink with the slightest amount of damage inflicted on it.

The Enterprise on the other hand must be filled with ping pong balls because it will take a terrible beating but not sink.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Will she sink?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Is there some secret line of code written into the Lexington that makes her sink easier than other CVs?

Yeah, it's another example of Japanese Fanboy sabotage...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Bradley7735 »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Is there some secret line of code written into the Lexington that makes her sink easier than other CVs?

In every game I have played with the Lex in it (PACWAR, Carrier Strike, UV, and WiTP) the Lex will sink with the slightest amount of damage inflicted on it.

The Enterprise on the other hand must be filled with ping pong balls because it will take a terrible beating but not sink.

I take it she went down?
The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

I will play my turn when I get home from work. As of last turn the flooding number was going in the wrong direction. [:(]
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
Tophat
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:07 am
Location: Cleveland,Ohio

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Tophat »



Ofcourse,well you are playing the Yankee colonialist scum! <I'm playing IJN also in a pbm game>[:'(]
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: Will she sink?

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Is there some secret line of code written into the Lexington that makes her sink easier than other CVs?

In every game I have played with the Lex in it (PACWAR, Carrier Strike, UV, and WiTP) the Lex will sink with the slightest amount of damage inflicted on it.

The Enterprise on the other hand must be filled with ping pong balls because it will take a terrible beating but not sink.

I don't know about that, but I am almost certain that the US CV's have some sort of torpedo attracting hull. In almost every game I have played they get torpedoed at least once each by jap subs.

Image
Attachments
blackie.gif
blackie.gif (29.15 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Is there some secret line of code written into the Lexington that makes her sink easier than other CVs?

In every game I have played with the Lex in it (PACWAR, Carrier Strike, UV, and WiTP) the Lex will sink with the slightest amount of damage inflicted on it.

The Enterprise on the other hand must be filled with ping pong balls because it will take a terrible beating but not sink.

Oh, I don't know.

Against Mogami, Lexington got hammered by Bettys from AmBONia and she lived.

Enterprise on the other hand, got some rain from Vals and died quickly.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

2 days later and up to 84 float. Does not look good. [:(]

I am 1 hex out from a size 1 port. Maybe I can at least save the planes.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Bradley7735 »

The size 1 port also needs to have a size 1 airfield. (in order to save the planes)

The size 1 port will not help at all in saving her, btw. You need to get her to a minimum size 5 port. Preferably one with an AR.
The older I get, the better I was.
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Speedysteve »

Don't think she's gonna make anywhere other than a coral reef 60-120 miles away from where she is now i'm afraid
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Bradley7735 »

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Don't think she's gonna make anywhere other than a coral reef 60-120 miles away from where she is now i'm afraid


Funny how there was so much optimism in the US damage control earlier in this thread.

50 float? 27 hexes? Bah, she'll be an essex with corsairs by the time she makes it to Pearl.
[8|]
The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: Will she sink?

Post by mlees »

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Don't think she's gonna make anywhere other than a coral reef 60-120 miles away from where she is now i'm afraid

Funny how there was so much optimism in the US damage control earlier in this thread.

50 float? 27 hexes? Bah, she'll be an essex with corsairs by the time she makes it to Pearl.
[8|]

Well, to take that quote literally, it is true. The next time the Lexington enters Pearl, it will an Essex class with the appropriate loadout...
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Speedysteve »

Hi Brad...I said it would be hit and miss [;)]

Think it's a miss [;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”