Will she sink?
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- Bradley7735
- Posts: 2073
- Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm
RE: Will she sink?
Hi Speedy,
I wasn't picking on you. In fact, I don't recall what posters said she'd make it for sure. I just remember a lot of folks saying that she was a sure shot at being safe.
I am actually more interested in the speed issue. Nik said that running at full speed increases the chance of progressive flooding. I'm curious if Rupd ran Lex at full speed or cruise speed. I'm guessing cruise speed, since it's been so many days in transit.
I generally run any flood damaged ship at full speed to the nearest port. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Now I wonder whether it's best to go at cruise or full speed?
The world wonders.
I wasn't picking on you. In fact, I don't recall what posters said she'd make it for sure. I just remember a lot of folks saying that she was a sure shot at being safe.
I am actually more interested in the speed issue. Nik said that running at full speed increases the chance of progressive flooding. I'm curious if Rupd ran Lex at full speed or cruise speed. I'm guessing cruise speed, since it's been so many days in transit.
I generally run any flood damaged ship at full speed to the nearest port. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Now I wonder whether it's best to go at cruise or full speed?
The world wonders.
The older I get, the better I was.
RE: Will she sink?
ORIGINAL: Bradley7735
Hi Speedy,
I generally run any flood damaged ship at full speed to the nearest port. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Now I wonder whether it's best to go at cruise or full speed?
The world wonders.
It really depends on the circumstances. In the end, its a gamble. Full speed increases your chances of additional FLT damage but if your ship already has crippling amounts aboard it may be that your chances might be slightly better racing to a port (hopefully with an AR there to help out) vs. trying to crawl back slowly and carefully....but then end up foundering two hexes out.
Its a crap shoot....lot of die rolls going on. I have a good example:
Game with Kaiser73 (beer wars)
BB Ise hit by two torps (stringbags) 60% FLT!!!!
make it back to Rangoon port with time to spare. (good med sized port) ship sinks anway after a few days. bad die rolls
AI game, same circumstance. Yamashiro hit by THREE torps (god (*&(!@ stringbags again) 80% FLT.....makes it back barely to Rangoon this time with little room to spare.
This time the port succeeds in draining the FLT down below the critical level.
Didn't even have an AR.
(Best AR exp......getting CV Hiryu back to size 3 port with 98% FLT damage) saved her. [:D]
- Admiral DadMan
- Posts: 3426
- Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit
RE: Will she sink?
I think he said he was running at full speed, which DOES increase flooding by an order of magnitide.
Shoulda pulled ovah. I know from experience.
Shoulda pulled ovah. I know from experience.
RE: Will she sink?
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
I don't know about that, but I am almost certain that the US CV's have some sort of torpedo attracting hull. In almost every game I have played they get torpedoed at least once each by jap subs.
can you send me a couple of these devices? I'm still trying to get Kaiser's CV's.
RE: Will she sink?
Where is the documentation for full speed increasing flooding? I keep hearing it mentioned but can't recall ever reading it in the manual.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
- Admiral DadMan
- Posts: 3426
- Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit
RE: Will she sink?
I can't tell ya, and I can't shoot ya.ORIGINAL: RUPD3658
Where is the documentation for full speed increasing flooding? I keep hearing it mentioned but can't recall ever reading it in the manual.
Seriously, I don't recall it in the manual, but I do remember it during a Beta game with Mogami.
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Will she sink?
ORIGINAL: Bradley7735
Hi Speedy,
I wasn't picking on you. In fact, I don't recall what posters said she'd make it for sure. I just remember a lot of folks saying that she was a sure shot at being safe.
Hi Brad,
Don't worry didn't think you were. Just thought i'd point out I was a fence sitter [:D]
Certainly some luck in it.
As mentioned before I saved Kaga at 53/48/10 which was 17 hexes from port (Kwajalein)
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: Will she sink?
Nik,
Just have him surround his CV with lots and lots of destroyers, seems to work everytime. [;)]
I actually have a working theory that goes something like this. All the iron in all the escort vessels moving through the water creates a magnetic vortex around the TF and creates a magnetic center, where of course the CV sits. Kind of like a funnel for torpedos. Its either that or just really bad luck. [8|]

Just have him surround his CV with lots and lots of destroyers, seems to work everytime. [;)]
I actually have a working theory that goes something like this. All the iron in all the escort vessels moving through the water creates a magnetic vortex around the TF and creates a magnetic center, where of course the CV sits. Kind of like a funnel for torpedos. Its either that or just really bad luck. [8|]

- Attachments
-
- blackie.gif (29.15 KiB) Viewed 306 times

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
RE: Will she sink?
Soooooooooooooo......[X(]Did it sink or swim?[;)]


Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
RE: Will she sink?
2 days later and sitting in a size 1 port with 87 float. I just dicovered that even in port you can't off load aircraft when you have 50+ float damage.[:@]
I will give it one or two more turns and if the float level does not go down I may have to scuttle to save points and speed up the respawn of the Lex II.
I will give it one or two more turns and if the float level does not go down I may have to scuttle to save points and speed up the respawn of the Lex II.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
RE: Will she sink?
ORIGINAL: RUPD3658
Where is the documentation for full speed increasing flooding? I keep hearing it mentioned but can't recall ever reading it in the manual.
It won't be in this manual, perhaps. But, I can guarantee you it will be in the Damage Control Manual for any USN ship. Steaming at full speed with hull damage is at best not recommended. At least, it is downright crazy.
Consider, the holes in the ship are patched up with matresses, timbers, wooden plugs, and anything else that can be stuck into the offending leak. In addition, interior bulkheads are literally holding out the ocean behind the damaged areas. Anything besided creeping speed puts additional strain on the patches and bulkheads.
In game terms, as soon as a ship has to leave a battle area, she should be put down to cruise as soon as possible (as in out of range of any likely AC). Then get to the nearest port size three or better, and start pumping and patching.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
RE: Will she sink?
She may be needing your services soon Revrend.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
RE: Will she sink?
I have a few of my own over which I will be officiating at their demise. Been nursing a sub back from Okinawa running between 75 to 85% flotation damage. Right now she is 240 miles from Midway, which I have built up to a size 4 port and have installed an old AS there. I think she might make it, but it's been all the way at about 5 kts.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
She sunk
After nearly 10 days of trying to save the ship the Lexington was scuttled with 95 floatation damage (up from 84 2 days before) and is now serving as an artificial reef at Canton Island. Before she passed beneath the waves her replacement was commisioned and should arrive in 545 days.
Lessons learned:
1. PBEM oppanants are not as dumb as the AI.
2. Do not use fulls speed when sinking
3. A/C can not be off loaded with more than 50 sys/float damage even when docked in port.
4. Alleid damage control is not perfect.
Lessons learned:
1. PBEM oppanants are not as dumb as the AI.
2. Do not use fulls speed when sinking
3. A/C can not be off loaded with more than 50 sys/float damage even when docked in port.
4. Alleid damage control is not perfect.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
RE: She sunk
1. very true most of the time [8D]
2. what were you thinking? [:D]
3. not true, you can dock and move aircraft. I have done it before. [;)]
4. Of course it is not perfect. [8|] It is just a lot better than the IJNs.
2. what were you thinking? [:D]
3. not true, you can dock and move aircraft. I have done it before. [;)]
4. Of course it is not perfect. [8|] It is just a lot better than the IJNs.
RE: She sunk
ORIGINAL: Nomad
3. not true, you can dock and move aircraft. I have done it before. [;)]
I tried to move a/c in a size 1 port and could not do so.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
RE: She sunk
ORIGINAL: RUPD3658
ORIGINAL: Nomad
3. not true, you can dock and move aircraft. I have done it before. [;)]
I tried to move a/c in a size 1 port and could not do so.
I think you can move NON-damaged AC, but not damaged ones. And while the ship is busy trying to sink, for some reason the aircraft mechanics seem to be pre-occupied and don't fix many aircraft.[:'(]
Also, as for steaming at full-speed/cruise speed: i think you might check to discover that the two speeds are pretty much the same in badly damaged ships. The thing i've found that most relates to how much flooding occurs is the weather: thunderstorms mean high winds = waves = flooding. Of course, there is a lot of chance involved, also.
RE: She sunk
I bet the crew drilled some holes in the rear of the ship and hoped that the inertia of the water would move it out [:D]ORIGINAL: Nomad
...
2. what were you thinking? [:D]
...
Regarding 3, prob. the ship has to be abandoned in port?! I know I have done such transfers myself in Tulagi, iirc.
RE: She sunk
Might need a size 3 or better port. A size 1 was the best I could get to.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
- LargeSlowTarget
- Posts: 5079
- Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France
RE: Will she sink?
ORIGINAL: RevRick
Been nursing a sub back from Okinawa running between 75 to 85% flotation damage.
Slightly OT, but this choice of words reminded me of an anecdote I've read somewhere - that during the Philippine campaign a PBY was sent to evacuate some nurses and key personnel, but got damaged upon landing and sprung some leaks, jeopardizing the safe take-off - and that the resourceful 'sailors' (PBY = Navy) 'used' the plumpest nurse to plug the biggest leak by making her sit on it, literally 'nursing' the plane home... [:)]










