ORIGINAL: moses
I'll be closing it with KB!!! Look you're guys are just sitting ducks at Midway. I pick my day drive to two hexes off Midway and pound it to snot. Whatever the result of the battle my KB planes will come back the next day along with 100 betties from PH and your airfield will be closed.
PH to Midway? thats a hell of a long way. It makes Rabaul to Lunga look small. You would have to plaster the airfield completely, and then maintain a significant Betty force there. Which I'm sure you could do - but it means bye bye, KB fighter group, and if the US CVs are about then it means, in effect, fighting Allied carriers near fighter heavy, torpedo armed base.
And of course my cripples can get back to PH. Japanese damage control is bad but not completly hopeless. 10 hexes is not far unless we are talking about a ship with very heavy floatation damage. I certainly like my chances better then the allies who have to go a thousand miles of Japanese airspace to get home. And my carriers are sitting right there.
You don't though, from Midway to Dutch Harbor.
The only way for the allies to keep Midway open is to leave the carriers there. This can be doine but it seems unprofitable to keep your main strikeforce sitting where I can see it all the time at a place with no repair facilities.[;)]
Well, after a while you move on, probably try for Palmyra or something like that.
...this is all theoretical and is a pretty abstract problem, but basically the question is - if Japan has taken everything from Noumea to Pearl, when would the US begin to credibly make an attack? I would say late 42, and I would say Dutch Harbor to Midway Island.