Changing the default settings in the battle screen

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Changing the default settings in the battle screen

Post by Cicero »

Is it possible to do this?

I would like to be presented with different default settings instead of Germany and USSR in June '41 (or whatever it is)

The war started in '39 didnt it?

...well it did in my part of the world ;)
A_B
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Post by A_B »

all the settings are changeable. for the year/month, click the little up/down arrowheads next to the year or month (these are old 'DOS' type arrowheads, quite different from the windows type icons you youngsters are used to). to change the country, click on the flag of the side you want to change, and then click one of the flags over on the left side of the screen - there are about 30 choices. You can also change the weather (1 through 6, 1 being sunny and 6 being thunderstorm), game length, etc.

Good luck
Unconventional war requires unconventional thought
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by Cicero »

Originally posted by A_B:
all the settings are changeable. for the year/month, click the little up/down arrowheads next to the year or month (these are old 'DOS' type arrowheads,
No, I said default settings ...I know how to change them using the spinners I want to be presented with different dates, times, sides etc to begin with.
quite different from the windows type icons you youngsters are used to).
Good luck
Well I suppose I should be flattered at that. ButI am a long, long, long way from being a youngster. Thanks all the same granma. :D
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Nearly all the settings in the game can be changed to your liking, Cicero.

Specifically what is it you want to change? And are you speaking in terms of scenario design or scenario play?

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
A_B
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Post by A_B »

Well I suppose I should be flattered at that. ButI am a long, long, long way from being a youngster. Thanks all the same granma.
granma? i'd make one ugly granma :)
Unconventional war requires unconventional thought
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by Cicero »

Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Nearly all the settings in the game can be changed to your liking, Cicero.

Specifically what is it you want to change? And are you speaking in terms of scenario design or scenario play?

Wild Bill
I am not making myself clear here, sorry.
The default battle generator settings are playe 1 germany, player2 soviets date: June 41.

I want to know if there is a file I can edit (an ini file?) that will mean I am presented with different default settings to begin with, say Player 1 poland, player 2 Germany date: sept 39.

I know I can click the spinners and the flags to make the changes i want, but I want to be presented with different defaults to begin with...I hardly ever play the Germans!

:)
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Cicero:
I would like to be presented with different default settings instead of Germany and USSR in June '41...
The default you are asking about cannot be changed by the player.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

Ah but you can!

There is a little file called GAME.ini and if you look at the values and experiment a bit with changing them you CAN change the defaults.

I don't have my secret decoder ring handy...but a little trial and error can get the nations
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by Cicero »

Ahhh superb....not only can I can do what I wanted but I can also have some fun finding out how to do it...I will ask for more instructions if I get stuck....Thanks Paul

(and all the others who replied) :p
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by Cicero »

Didnt take me long to get stuck did it? :(

Looks like it should be obvious but I couldnt get it to do what I wanted.

Whats the secret code Paul?...come on..you can tell me, I wont tell anyone else...it can be our secret. :D

was I looking in the right place?

# game.ini written by DLL config program

GAME_TYPE 0
SCENARIO_NUM 0
LOAD_NUM 0
NAME T2, German vs U.S.Ar, 6/44
CODE code: DDD 800 890170733
MONTH 9
YEAR 39
AUTOBUILD 1
AUTODEPLOY 1
SIDE1P 1
SIDE2P 1
SIDE1NATION 12
SIDE2NATION 11
BATTLE_TYPE 2
MAP_SIZE 0
TIME 5
WATER 0
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

I dunno - I tried to edit and it didn;t work for me either...I thought it did...shows what I knwo sometimes...maybe Tom or Mike can shed some light on it... :o
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by Cicero »

Well thats a relief, I was starting to feel a bit dim!!
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Whew! Sorry to feel good about your failure, but I hate to give wrong info. However, I do hope you can make it do what you want.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”